Knee Wraps Good Tool for Raw Squatters?

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]Umbrata Fortis wrote:
For me personally I have to have knee wraps. Look at what happened to Brandon Lilly, if he had knee wraps I can almost guarantee that would not have happened.[/quote]
This has potential to be a big sidetrack lol, but I don’t think wraps were the issue here. Maybe it wouldn’t have happened this time if he’d been wrapped, but it would have still just been a bandaid. The real reason for this injury has nothing to do with wraps, but everything to do with the fact that steroids help your muscles outpace your connective tissue and on top of that they dry out your joints (especially if they are lowering their estrogen even further in relation to test).

I think this hit Brandon especially hard given his background as an ultra-wide stance, 100% posterior chain geared lifter. He built most of his strength base with this style, and only relatively recently started hammering front squats, high bar oly squats and things like that. His quad strength skyrocketed much faster than his knees could keep pace with.

Anyway, that’s my opinion at least. I don’t think wraps would have saved him. They didn’t save Coan when he fell.[/quote]

I should clarify, I can’t agree with what you said more in that post. I should have said this degree of injury wouldn’t have happened. We will never really know because it didn’t happen, but could the knee wraps saved him from the utter destruction to his knees I 100% believe so, also Bradon can hit in the 8’s with knee wraps so he may have just came right up. W/E thanks for pointing that out.

I use cheap light wraps on my PR sets on 531 but as more of a confidence thing rather than adding to poundage or safety. I believe a good pair of straps will improve safety but no amount of strapping can mask bad form.

Thanks guys. I just got into powerlifting and it looks like Ill be competing in the APF/AAPF for while, which for raw divison doesn’t allow knee wraps, and I don’t believe it allows knee sleeves either. So unless I switched feds, I don’t think id ever use them in competition. The main reason behind using them would just be for overloading and getting more comfortable with heavier weights. So long as it doesn’t interfere with my normal form and stance. Any good recommendations on wraps?

[quote]grappling_hook wrote:
Anyone here every try using wraps as a form of ROM training? For example, starting with tight wraps, and then loosening them a bit each session over a couple of months until you can move the same weight without wraps? I’ve never tried wraps and was curious if this might work.

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:
overload work is fine but knee wraps can change your squat groove. i would recommend using bands if you want to use a heavier load at times. reverse band work doesnt beat you up much so you can do it much more often without altering your squats.[/quote]

This sounds reasonable, and the overload benefit is clear. But if one wanted to do ROM squat training, is there an easy way to adjust the resistance offered by the bands? It would seem that switching bands wouldn’t work due to the large jumps in resistance when you go from a stronger band to a lighter band. Perhaps adding a 1/2" mat or piece of plywood to the floor each week with the same band to shorten how far it is stretched and thus slowly reduce band tension?[/quote]

Haven’t read through entire thread so if some one else answered I apologize. Either way I do this quite often. What I do is take a bad and hook it over a spotter bar in a power cage and remember which band and at what hieght I used. Then the next session ill use same band but will lower the spotter bar the band s attached to so each week I am getting little less and less band tension.

havnt read thru entire thread but… if you dont plan on competing in wraps there is no reason to touch them. Supportive gear does not increase raw strength(to an extent that it deserves time devoted to it). The only exception to this rule I can think of would be a slingshot.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Haven’t read through entire thread so if some one else answered I apologize. Either way I do this quite often. What I do is take a bad and hook it over a spotter bar in a power cage and remember which band and at what hieght I used. Then the next session ill use same band but will lower the spotter bar the band s attached to so each week I am getting little less and less band tension.[/quote]

that’s clever. I like it.