T Nation

Knee Wrap Pain

A few seconds after wrapping my left knee i feel pain from the kneecap.soon as i stand and even think to attempt bending it i have to release the wraps.its feels as if the kneecap is locked in place or out of alignment? And i can feel popping sometimes…same wrapping procedure is carried out on the right,no problems no pain…anyone else experienced this?

back round : left knee has “recovered” from patella tendonitis,only a light case nothing serious and i could wear wraps no problems days before diagnosis months ago.

You could experiment by wrapping it different ways to see if one method or the other works better for that knee. Your wrapping method may be pushing the knee cap in a direction not suited for it.

Have you tried just using really good knee sleeves for support and warmth. I use sleeves and only use wraps for heavy singles and doubles though.

I have noticed wrapping diagonally over the knee cap feels alot better,im in near to the end of my training for a meet in 3 weeks so i need maximum support during these heavier squats.how supportive are sleeves?

I got the super heavy duty sleeves from EliteFts. I really like them but nothing is going to beat a wrap. Sucks this happens days before a meet.

[quote]lockITout wrote:
A few seconds after wrapping my left knee i feel pain from the kneecap.soon as i stand and even think to attempt bending it i have to release the wraps.its feels as if the kneecap is locked in place or out of alignment? And i can feel popping sometimes…same wrapping procedure is carried out on the right,no problems no pain…anyone else experienced this?

back round : left knee has “recovered” from patella tendonitis,only a light case nothing serious and i could wear wraps no problems days before diagnosis months ago.[/quote]

Are you flexing your quad hard when wrapping? If not, you should try it.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

Are you flexing your quad hard when wrapping? If not, you should try it.[/quote]

this

I always flex for both so its not that, I’ve gone back to ice packing and elevation daily