T Nation

Knee Troubles

hey all,
my brother is having trouble with one of his knees. he went to the chiro and got x-rayed, and they think he might have some soft tissue problems. any way to help with recovery or tips/advice on the matter?

[quote]Ballin4Christ32 wrote:
hey all,
my brother is having trouble with one of his knees. he went to the chiro and got x-rayed, and they think he might have some soft tissue problems. any way to help with recovery or tips/advice on the matter?[/quote]

I recommend going to a real doctor. A chiro does not seem qualified to diagnose knee injury. Perhaps he can take the x-rays from the chiro to a doctor?

hey all,
my brother is having trouble with one of his knees. he went to the chiro and got x-rayed, and they think he might have some soft tissue problems. any way to help with recovery or tips/advice on the matter?[/quote]

See an ART guy. His knee injuries are likely caused by muscle imbalances. A good ART will prescribe exercises.

Also, get a foam roller. Start rolling the IT band daily.

ya i know the chiro aint as good as a real doc, but my mother took him so i really have no say in it.

calaw, which muscles would be imbalanced? he plays basketball and is in the middle of the season

His VMO (tear drop muscle) is probably weaker than many of the muscles on the outside of the thigh (sorry don’t know the terminology) anyways this is why somebody already recommended foam rolling the it band to help relieve some of the tension which could be pulling on the patella thus causing patella tracking problems from the strength imbalance.

Backward sled dragging with the toes slightly pointed outwards has worked wonders for my knee problems, can really feel the weak VMO working. Of course this is just possibility, better off seeing a doc for clarity on the problem. Oh and TKE’s (terminal knee extensions) which are pretty similar to the backward sled dragging motion can be beneficial. Hope something helps, I’m no expert but I have had some experience and I don’t think anything I told you could make matters worse, good luck.

i guess there is also inflammation in his knee. does that make any difference?

i guess there is also inflammation in his knee. does that make any difference?[/quote]

It makes a huge difference. If there is inflammation, there is fluid. If you leave the fluid there long enough, there will be soft tissue degeneration.

I am currently going through some knee episodes with my soph. son. (age 16) He has been diagnosed with tendonitis. It started last summer, during football camp. He was a starting varsity tackle both ways, (6’4", 250 lbs.) and his knees started bothering him during summer camp. He was lifting big, working hard, and growing. The knees became inflammed. We managed it with over-the-counter pain-meds, and ice. He made it through the season, (All conference, All Valley, Honorable mention, All State, that’s just a proud dad bragging, not really important to this topic.)but when basketball came around, (he’s pretty good at that as well) he found it to painful to start.

We went to our knee doctor to make sure that there wasn’t any meniscus tears, or damage to the cartilage. He ruled out Osgood Slaughters. He prescribed a very strong anti-inflammation drug, becuase the fluid had been on the knees for some time. Then we were sent to our physical therapist. We are a couple of weeks in to treatment; light cycling, scrapping the knee ligaments with a blade, ultra-sound, mobility exercises for the ankles, hips, lower back. Also, he is working on lengthening the hamstrings and strengthing them, because his quads are so dominant, and that it caused his patella to mistrack slightly, and caused the patella tendon to really tighten up. After 4 treatments and some homework, it looks like he may make it back on the team during the Christmas break.

Bottom line; get it checked by a real sports doctor, make sure there is no structural damage, and then rehab under the direction of a doctor and physical therapist. Do this thing right.

Mike

First thing I would do, just from exp and 2 knee surgeries, is to find a sport medicine orthopedic doctor. here is a website.
http://www.sportsmed.org/about/membersearch.asp

These guys are better dealing with atheletes than just a god forbid, general MD or a standard orthopedic doctor. They tend to know the newer proceedures/drugs that are coming out that may help your situation. And in my exp general MD’s and orthopedic doctors give me the same answer I hate hearing “Well if it hurts dont do that” not understanding fully that I’m not a fatass couch potato, 80 years old and waiting to die, and actually like lifting and playing sports. The sport med docs give me straight up answers to pro-cons to waiting on surgery (currently got a miniscus tear)
they ask me what I am looking for out of them and tell me if its possible. Things like the lube injection, where they inject a snythetic lube into the joint that last for a few weeks to relieve friction which causes the swelling which causes pain.

So all in all, every injury and body is different. Everyone recovers different. So find a good SPORT Ortho doc, find out a few options. Test them out and see what works best. But always remember long term… “only so many band-aids u can put on a gun shot wound”

Hope this helps and good luck to you. Injuries suck.