T Nation

Knee Tendonosis

Does anyone here have any experience dealing with knee tendonosis?(not tendonITIS)
I developed it in both quadriceps tendons about 6 months ago, due to being an idiot and divebombing my squats.

I quit squatting for 2-3 months until my knees felt better. Then over the summer I eased myself into sumo squats. My knees held up for a while, but the pain came back after a month.

Right now, even body weight squats and jogging aggravate it. What can I do to speed up healing, and when should I ease myself back into squats?

After reading the difference between osis and itis here: http://www.tendinosis.org/ I actually have Tendonosis of the knee as well and have had it for about a year.

When I do lower body exercises I wear either a brace or TK knee bands and they help quite a bit.

More importantly I came across this article:

For the past two weeks I’ve been doing eccentric exercises for my right knee and it seems to be helping. Basically I’ll stand on a stair and then slowly lower myself to the next stair using my right leg. It looks like I’m walking down the stairs backwards. It hurts while I do it but less now then it did last week. I’m hopeful that I’ll be healed soon, I’ll make sure to update later.

I also take Glucosamine supplements and that helps a lot too.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try the eccentric thing a while ago for about two weeks, and it only seemed to make things worse.
I’ve been doing cross friction massage lately, and that seems to really help.
I’ll start taking Glucosamine as soon as I can as well.
Hopefully this problem starts healing up soon… I’m dyeing to squat again. :stuck_out_tongue:

I dealt with that in my right knee a couple years ago. What helped me was doing squats with about 30% of my 1rm and alternating tempos. Doing one set as fast as possible then the next set 202 tempo,2 sec. down and 2 sec. up. The article I read suggested timing your sets for 30sec. each for 4-6 sets.

I usually got about 15-17 reps on the fast sets and 8-10 reps on the slow sets. I did this a couple times a week for a few weeks and noticed my knee got much better. You may experience some pain on the first couple sets but it goes away after that with the pump you get from the differing tempos.

I had a bout of tendenosis for a while. Do not discontinue leg training. I did so for 4-5 months hoping it would get better and it only got worse. I went for pt and he had me do tons of stretching and a short version of a one legged squat.

I would stand on a stepper and would bend on one leg and keep the other slightly in front to clear the step with the toes up. I would just squat until I my front heel hit the ground and then stand back up. I would do about 100 of these a day. I was healed up in no time. Find yourself a good pt.

Would you say high rep bodyweight squats would be beneficial?
Like two sets of bodyweight squats to near failure, then cross friction massage right after?

I got knee tendonosis 2 times.
Long distance bike sprinting near muscular failure did wonder for me. Stretching after some hardcore deep massage helps a lot. The goal is to elicit an inflammatory response in your tendons in order to trigger the healing process.

Good luck, tendonosis is really a pain in the ass!

To treat patellar tendinosis eccentric training is the current best treatment.

Eccentric training should be done twice daily for 3 sets of 15 reps and only the eccentric part. The other leg should assist in the concentric portion (one leg down, two legs up).

Any other form of training that provokes pain should be discontinued and whether or not eccentric training is done beyond pain is often case specific.

Supportive treatment like cross friction massage is recommended assuming its done by a qualified person.

Expect 3-6 months for full recovery, its not done overnight.

As an update to this I just took two months off from weight lifting while still doing the eccentric exercises and yesterday I squatted with no knee pain for the first time in almost two years. I’m very happy about this.

[quote]joburnet wrote:
As an update to this I just took two months off from weight lifting while still doing the eccentric exercises and yesterday I squatted with no knee pain for the first time in almost two years. I’m very happy about this.[/quote]

Congrats man! That is great to hear.

[quote]joburnet wrote:
As an update to this I just took two months off from weight lifting while still doing the eccentric exercises and yesterday I squatted with no knee pain for the first time in almost two years. I’m very happy about this.[/quote]

That’s awesome. My knees are gradually getting better, and I’ve found that after a high rep set of leg extensions I can do front squats with next to no pain on some days.

It’s strange that front squats hurt my knees less than back squats though…

Cross Friction Massage on that tendon will bring you a world of relief