Knee Tendonitis or Patellofemoral Stress?

[quote]wushufanatic wrote:
danjo228 wrote:
Flat feet cause PF pain by pulling the knees inward. As others have suggested about pushing the knees out, this should help.

PF pain is caused by increased forces of the knee cap being pushed back into the knee joint proper. Evidence suggests that weak and/or tight quadriceps are likely culprits. ATG squatting can definitely increase these forces.

There are actually lots of things that potentially cause patellofemoral pain and there is not one direct cause that one can pinpoint. Increased forces is definitely one potential factor that may lead to patellofemoral pain but there are others. I think more importantly is malalignment of the patella causing improper tracking on the femur more-so than increased forces. I have several references I can give in relation to this topic.

In addition, there are no studies that show there are increased patellofemoral joint reaction forces during ATG squats. I should know because I’m currently doing research for my PhD at Ohio State regarding patellofemoral joint reaction force in relation to squat depth and load. The best study we have to relate to is Salem and Powers (2001) that looked at collegiate female athletes and they found that patellofemoral joint reaction force and stress (force/patellofemoral contact area) were not statistically different between squat levels of 70 degrees, 90 degrees, and 110 degrees (about a parallel squat).[/quote]

I went to grad school at Ohio U. lol

I’m currently deployed in Iraq. Before we came out here I hyper extended my knee. It still isn’t healed I know because I can’t run. I never got a chance to get a MRI or surgery because the Army wanted to wait to see if it’d heal on its own.

Well I am finally going back home and first time I’m gonna do is get a MRI.

However the reason I’m posting is because even though I messed up my knee I can still do a2g squats with no pain whatsoever. I just can’t run. I guess it really is all form. Listen to your body and do what you can.

Xen, I wanted to add that while a2g squats are a no go for me, I can do box squats on a 12" box [at least 3-4" below parallel] with no virtually pain. No clue why.

Thank you guys for all the help.

I’ve been pushing out my knees but not nearly as much as I should be. When I push them out (fucking far, to the point i almost roll my ankles outwards) my knee’s don’t hurt. So I suppose I need to get some chucks!

I started rolling with a baseball and that has a been a LOT more focal. It’s taken 90% of the pain away rolling my quads and my VMO’s. while it hurts like a MOTHERFUCKER when i roll… i can squat to pick shit up afterwards without pain. which is amazing

After rolling, i practice wide squatting with no weight and other activation drills to make sure i’m getting my hips/butt into it and sitting back.

Wearing knee sleeves during periods where i know i’ll be sitting for a long time has helped a lot as well. So i think it has to do a lot with my non-training activity also. I’ve been actively working to improve my posture but i need to make sure to stretch my quads during the day.

I used to just train westside and train one ME movement every 2 weeks. Basically my system was… test your max (train weaknesses with your assistance lifts), next week beat your max… every now and then do 3 if i feel i need it.

Few months ago i began playing with different sheiko and smolov type protocals and i guess my joints have just taken a severe beating because i train MMA stuff at the same time… I can handle the workload fine as far as cns/muscle is concerned but my joints revoked that shit hardcore. one of the few times i ever found my limit go figure, gotta love being 22. lol

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
also do you foam roll and do release work? I’m thinking glutes, glute medius, piniformis, IT band/side of quad etc

helps a bunch of they are tight and knotted up[/quote]

Haven’t visited my ART guy in a few weeks but last time we worked on my hips can’t wait to tell him i have a whole host of new issues lol. This is my first day that i’ve been like 90% so I should be ok in a few weeks to start again, just going to work on a lot of activation work in between then.

[quote]jpuck wrote:
Foam roll your legs everyday, do TKEs before leg workouts, and wear sleeves to keep your knees warm. Also take a pain killer after workouts to zap any inflammation (I read a study a while ago that said people who did this actually healed faster – it not just for pain.)
[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

TKEs = awesome

Also, ATG squats are good in theory, but what I’ve found is that most people seriously fuck them up. When they think, “my ass needs to touch my ankles” they relax their hips at the bottom of the squat to eke out a little more ROM, which really stresses the shit out of your knees. Keep your hips engaged the whole way and you should have no problems. Your ass shouldn’t be ABLE to touch your ankles if you’re squatting properly.

Also remember to push those knees out. Put a miniband around em if you have to. Sometimes widening the stance a little and pointing the toes out slightly helps.

I also second the motion of not squatting in Nike Frees. Chucks or Oly squat shoes would be much better. But Chucks are fucking awesome and 1/3 the price so I’ll rec those.

EFS did a 5 part series with Buddy Morris (Pitt’s S&C coach; aka The Thinker; he’s the shit) about TKE progressions. The link is for part 2.

EDIT: This is actually a 9 part series, and it’s fucking incredible. I just finished watching part 9, and wow is all I can say.