Knee Sleeves - Worth the Money?

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]shadowbobo8028 wrote:
IMO they’re useless.

Knee wraps shouldn’t add weight to your squat and if they do they might be banned in your fed. Also some raw feds don’t allow knee sleeves.

They’re only purpose is to “keep knees warm”. Sweats do the same thing.

Not much safety benefit & waste of money

You want protection? Might as well get knee wraps. Most “protection” offered by sleeves is just placebo effect.[/quote]

Must be nice to be 20. For us ancient folk, there is certainly benefit in warming the knees up before even starting a training session, and keeping them warm. Sweats are not the same, I don’t know why you would say that. My SBD’s also help me with the feels. I think I’m more consistent with my form when I wear them, and I believe videos I’ve shot support that notion. I find them to be most beneficial on higher rep sets.

Almost every fed allows the SBD’s as well. They’re IPF raw legal.[/quote]

100% agree with this.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

IMO they’re useless.

Knee wraps shouldn’t add weight to your squat and if they do they might be banned in your fed. Also some raw feds don’t allow knee sleeves.

You want protection? Might as well get knee wraps. Most “protection” offered by sleeves is just placebo effect.[/quote]

Must be nice to be 20. For us ancient folk, there is certainly benefit in warming the knees up before even starting a training session, and keeping them warm. Sweats are not the same, I don’t know why you would say that. My SBD’s also help me with the feels. I think I’m more consistent with my form when I wear them, and I believe videos I’ve shot support that notion. I find them to be most beneficial on higher rep sets.

No kidding with it must be nice to be 20.

I’m 50 and have used sleeves for 6 years.

My first pair were Rehbands that were good but have stretched out. My second are SBDs that I typically only compete in. My third are Titans.

I believe I get a few pounds out of the SBDs but not the others.

Like Flipcollar said above, my form feels better with the sleeves on. It’s like a cue to push my knees out. I feel more solid.

If you’re planning to compete, knee sleeves (approved manufacturers) are allowed in IPF affiliates.

I get a few pounds out of SBDs, maybe up to 5 lbs. If I wear sweats then I don’t feel the need to wear sleeves since my knees are kept warm.

Arguing against using sleeves because they can possibly add weight is like arguing against using a belt. Some benefit more than others but in general it helps to prevent injury.

Joints have limited blood flow, sleeves promote blood flow, ergo it’s a safe assumption that they will help in the long run. I have the new rehbands that get a lot of hate, but they’ve held up extremely well and I really don’t think their shorter length makes a difference.

I seriously doubt SBDs are giving people more weight on their squat…the material is too flimsy to give a real rebound. But a tight pair of sleeves probably does provide enough confidence in the hole to give some extra weight. So whichever brand you buy, I’d go a size down for a snug fit.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

IMO they’re useless.

Oh ok I AM young didn’t know that. And yeah in the APF/AAPF they want your knees to be completely exposed. A friend of mine went up to squat with knee sleeves and they told him to talk it off.

IMO they’re useless.

So I guess all these top level powerlifters, weightlifters, and strongmen are just naive fools wasting their money.

[quote]BCpowder wrote:

IMO they’re useless.

So I guess all these top level powerlifters, weightlifters, and strongmen are just naive fools wasting their money. [/quote]

yo just my opinion lol
Jason Blaha seems to hold the same stance too

As far as I know, Blaha’s only accomplishment is being popular on the internet. Do I have him confused for someone else?

I love mine, but I train before dawn outside where it sometimes gets a little cool. Anything that helps keeps my knees warm is a big plus. Nothing like having your hands freeze to a barbell to wake you up.

I also use the blue rehbands and don?t notice any performance gain out of them.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
As far as I know, Blaha’s only accomplishment is being popular on the internet. Do I have him confused for someone else?[/quote]
I don’t agree with everything he says but he did study anatomy and nutrition in college, had a 440lb raw paused bench in his prime, and seems to be a popular strength coach. Not to mention he’s doing amazing coming back from his Meniere’s disease.

You gotta give him some credibility mayne

As far as I know, Blaha’s only accomplishment is being popular on the internet. Do I have him confused for someone else?[/quote]
I don’t agree with everything he says but he did study anatomy and nutrition in college, had a 440lb raw paused bench in his prime, and seems to be a popular strength coach. Not to mention he’s doing amazing coming back from his Meniere’s disease.

You gotta give him some credibility mayne[/quote]

Mayne?

Ah, didn’t know that about him. Who has he coached?

I am currently wearing a sweater with sleeves to keep me warm as it is minus 20 degrees up here. I think he meant Maine the state ha ha. Mr Punisher, if I may call you that, when in the hell will you publish a book ? Is it an idea of yours to do so?

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
I am currently wearing a sweater with sleeves to keep me warm as it is minus 20 degrees up here. I think he meant Maine the state ha ha. Mr Punisher, if I may call you that, when in the hell will you publish a book ? Is it an idea of yours to do so?[/quote]

Thanks for the support. I have contemplated putting together a deadlift manual at the least, with a full on book being a lofty goal. It seems like it would be a fun exercise, but right now it’s on the backburner. When life slows down a little bit, I may start it up.

You gotta give him some credibility mayne[/quote]

Mayne?

Ah, didn’t know that about him. Who has he coached?
[/quote]
I believe he used to coach at a powerlifting gym in the U.S. As well as high schools. Now that he lives in the UK all he does is private 1 on 1 coaching with those who know him personally

Cool man, I have read many books and a few on training your writing style resonates well for such material, I think if you did some writing on your range of motion training it may really be useful for future generations and generally people looking to find new ways of getting strong.

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
Cool man, I have read many books and a few on training your writing style resonates well for such material, I think if you did some writing on your range of motion training it may really be useful for future generations and generally people looking to find new ways of getting strong.[/quote]

I appreciate that. I’ll definitely consider that aspect as well.

Sorry to derail thread TC.

[quote]Jlabs wrote:
Cool man, I have read many books and a few on training your writing style resonates well for such material, I think if you did some writing on your range of motion training it may really be useful for future generations and generally people looking to find new ways of getting strong.[/quote]

I appreciate that. I’ll definitely consider that aspect as well.

Sorry to derail thread TC.[/quote]

I don’t mind it. I appreciate the input from someone whose opinion is that valuable and I made my decision anyway at this point.

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
Hey guys,
I am thinking of getting myself a pair of knee sleeves, mostly because a lot of lifters use them and I am curious of how it feels to squat in sleeves. The only reason I don’t just buy a pair is the price. So my questions here are:

1. What are your reasons for using/ not using knee sleeves?
  2. Do knee sleeves really help with longevity of the knees?
  3. Do knee sleeves add weight to your squat (heard really different opinios on this one)
  4. Are there significant differences between expensive and cheap ones when it comes to support?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

1. I use them to keep my knees warm. Basically, your knees feel extra warmed up.
  2. No idea, but I can’t see how they hurt.
  3. Probably a little. When I got them, a weight that I could do for a hard set of 5 became a weight that I could do for a solid (not easy though) set of 5.
  4. I have Rehbands (sp?) and SBDs. There’s a significant difference. I actually only use the SBDs around a contest as I think they may give me something, plus they are much harder to put on/take off (even though the are a relatively large size compared to what some people wear). Both will keep your knees warm, but the SBDs are definitely a more solid, well made product.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

IMO they’re useless.

No kidding with it must be nice to be 20.

I’m 50 and have used sleeves for 6 years.

My first pair were Rehbands that were good but have stretched out. My second are SBDs that I typically only compete in. My third are Titans.

I believe I get a few pounds out of the SBDs but not the others.

Like Flipcollar said above, my form feels better with the sleeves on. It’s like a cue to push my knees out. I feel more solid.

If you’re planning to compete, knee sleeves (approved manufacturers) are allowed in IPF affiliates.
[/quote]
I also think my form is better in sleeves. Maybe a proprioception thing?

Hahahaha another Blaha disciple. Oh he paused 440 in his prime? Well I paused 450 weighing 50 pounds less in an actual competition, guess I’m now an internet strength guru.

Blaha is scum. The absolute lowest of the low on the internet totem pole. He’s become famous by making accusations against fake natties, AND THAT’S IT. He has accomplished nothing and hasn’t coached anyone to any sort of impressive level. Yet you small weak guys cling to him like some sort of god…boggles the mind.