T Nation

Knee Popping

I recentley started running alot more. Im currently doing the warrior dash cardio program along with 5/3/1 program. I bassically run 4x a week.
Anyhow my started making popping sounds when going up stairs and is a slight bit sore but nothing huge.
Should I be concerned?

Healthy male 34 175lbs

Both great programs, but if your doin the 5/3/1 and lifting weights 3 times a week and then running 4x right away with working in to can be a couple things. 1. Natural soreness from age, terrain, how fast you recover and what type of shape you were in before you started the ball buster exercise routine!

1. could be some torn cartlidge floatin around…might need cleaned out…a run to the knee dr. would hurt. Sounds like you have a great thing going…Try balancing out the workouts and run, or combine the run and weight together… Rest and hydration are key, Rest and hyrdration are key!!! Keep up the good work.

[quote]thehebrewhero wrote:
I recentley started running alot more. Im currently doing the warrior dash cardio program along with 5/3/1 program. I bassically run 4x a week.
Anyhow my started making popping sounds when going up stairs and is a slight bit sore but nothing huge.
Should I be concerned?

Healthy male 34 175lbs[/quote]

Could be a number of things. You say you have recently increased your running mileage- this could largely be the culprit of the ominous popping. I would guess that it may be the onset of IT-Band syndrome, which typically arises from a sudden increase in training. Do you stretch or adhere to a regime of soft-tissue work? I would get on the foam roller and try to take some of the tension out of the IT-Band, glutes and hips, while also working to improve mobility in the hips and around the ankles. That you mention pain during stair-climbing is not surprising, as it’s commonly seen with this condition.

It may, additionally, be your running style, particularly if you tend to over-pronate or display excess supination, so make sure your footwear is up to scratch (to cater to your running needs.) Better yet, work on strengthening the gluteal muscles and freeing up your hip flexors- if you’re running with an anteriorly tilted pelvis, this can contribute to a pronation malfunction (I’m sure there was an article somewhere on this site which talked about gluteal strength and pronation.)

If not IT-Band syndrome, then it may be signs of patellar maltracking. If your VMO (the quad muscle on your inner thigh) is weaker than your vastus lateralis (on your outer thigh) your kneecap won’t glide properly through it’s femoral groove. Your VMO is an important knee stabiliser, so make sure it’s strength it up to par (can do with exercises such as terminal knee extensions.) If unaddressed, the friction from the maltracking may result in cartillage degeneration (resulting in a condition called "chondromalacia patella,) and believe me, that’s no fun.