T Nation

Knee Pain

During my Mag-10 cycle is was doing the growth surge workout. It called for me to do leg presses with feet together. After doing these for the first week I now have pain in my right knee, on the right side.(Sorry for getting so scientific) when I do leg presses or lunges, however I can do heavy squats, deadlifts and calf raises with no problems. Anyone have any idea what this might be. If you need more info please post and Ill try to answer.
:slight_smile: Groove

I’m not as well versed in physiology as other Forumites, so I’ll leave the reply to them.

Instead, I’ll take this opportunity to curse the leg press!

Narrow stance presses cause a high amount of shearing force on the knee, from medial to lateral. I am not by any means suggesting that this is a bad movement, I’ll leave the contraindication flag throwing to the NASM trainers (you saviors you). All this means is that the high shearing forces exposed a pre-existing condition in your knee. How is your tracking? When you press or sqaut, does your knee point exactly the same direction as your foot, throughout the whole ROM? Is there any tight musculature around your left hip? If so, this can unevenly distribute force in a cross pattern to the right knee. Test hip flexibility on both sides and compare.

My legs are somewhat bowlegged(I think that is the term?) they curve inwards slightly. Also my left leg is longer than my right leg by about an inch.
How do I test my hip flexibility?? Do I need to get a professional to do this or is it something that can be self tested. Thanks for your input so far.

Bow-legged people walk like they just got off a horse. Don’t know if that’s what you are talking about. Test the hips by placing your left foot on the edge of the headreast of an incline bench, with a wide stance squat down as low as you can. Either make a mental note as to how far you can go down with no pain, or have a partner watch you. Then go to your affected side and do the same. Can you go lower on one side than the other? Stretch the tight side, strengthen the other side. Another test: (Dont do this one if your legs are still sore from a workout though)Sit in a chair with hips and knees at 90 degrees. Start at the top of you illiotibial tract by your hips, and dig your thumbs in on both legs at the same time. Work your way down the ITT all the way to your knee, digging in HARD. If you feel significant pain on one side, you may need some ART or agressive stretching to loosen up the tract.

The gluteus medius can be a culprit as well in rotating the femur and causing misalignment of the knee. Test your internal and external rotation of your femur on each leg and compare: Standing, raise your left leg slightly off the ground and point the toe inward as far as possible (while keeping the leg straight), then outward as far as possible. Can you go farther on one leg in a certain direction? Let me know what you find.

I went to see a doctor right after getting out of the gym and he tested my leg through different planes of movement and told me that joint stability was fine and that it was a soft tissue/tendonistis problem. He reccomended icing it and resting it for a while. I would actually like to get to the root of the problem but there are no ART practitioners in my town and the nearset one is 2.5 hours away in Calgary. Unfortunately being a poor student with no time/transportation this is an impossibility. What would you recommend? I am stuck

Hi, Grooveless. Enjoyed your pics, BTW. Incredible transformation. You can really be proud of what you’ve accomplished.

Re the ART, all I can say is that I’d get there by hook or by crook, even if I had to take a bus. I had ART done on my shoulder. And if your practitioner has his act together and has some experience with ART, it will be worth any logistical aggravation you go through to get there. See if there’s a youth hostel in Calgary or something of like kind (i.e., cheap) and try to get in a couple of sessions. Also ask for remedial exercises and stretching you can do on your own after you get back home. Another idea, call the doc and see if he ever gets to your neck of the woods.

I have had the same problem. At first, I thought it was a partial ACL tear but couldn’t afford to have a MRI (I also am a poor university student). I tried with ice and pain killers but the pain kept bothering me anytime I was trying to perform heavy leg presses. How did I solve the problem? Rest, stretching and, after a couple of weeks, I started again with light leg presses.