T Nation

Knee Pain

When I do heavy squats I can feel my knees start to ache. Yesterday my left knee got this intense shooting pain behind the kneecap that stayed with me till now. What do you guys take for joint pain? thanx gambit10

Hey, Gambit10, I’m new here and didn’t expect to be answering any questions yet; only asking them. However, I can relate to this issue if you see my first post regarding knee issues.

I have been on a regular regimine of chondroiton, glucosamine, and MSN now for some time. I don’t know how much it’s helping because I quit my walking routine when I started up. No lie, this former triathlete was walking 25 miles a week. Still, my knees feel better since taking the pills. Not totally great, but good enough to allow me to walk again. I take the maximum dose. Beware, my experience has it “plugging me up” somewhat. Not bad, but it is there. Hope this helps. - Tim

[quote]gambit10 wrote:
When I do heavy squats I can feel my knees start to ache. Yesterday my left knee got this intense shooting pain behind the kneecap that stayed with me till now. What do you guys take for joint pain? thanx gambit10[/quote]

Part of it may be the way you do squats as well. I suffered from really painful knees until I started squatting wide and to a box. The only time it comes back is if I start doing standard width squats or hack squats too often.

However I do squats I always point my toes outward as this seems to engage the adductors of the legs and gets me out of the hole without having to use the quads as much.

That said, I take MSM and eat as many yams as I can tolerate. MSM supports joint cartilage and the yams contain hyaluronic acid which helps connective tissue and joint lubrication.

[quote]skidmark wrote:
gambit10 wrote:
When I do heavy squats I can feel my knees start to ache. Yesterday my left knee got this intense shooting pain behind the kneecap that stayed with me till now. What do you guys take for joint pain? thanx gambit10

Part of it may be the way you do squats as well. I suffered from really painful knees until I started squatting wide and to a box. The only time it comes back is if I start doing standard width squats or hack squats too often.

However I do squats I always point my toes outward as this seems to engage the adductors of the legs and gets me out of the hole without having to use the quads as much.

That said, I take MSM and eat as many yams as I can tolerate. MSM supports joint cartilage and the yams contain hyaluronic acid which helps connective tissue and joint lubrication.[/quote]

x2

What skidmark said. It’s all in the way you do it. A narrow squat stance may put more pressure on your knees, especially if you have ankle/hip mobility issues or a weak posterior chain. Experiment with different stances and foot angles, and watch your form.