Knee Pain

First of all, I’ve recently read many articles and posts on here about the knees and knee pain. Problem is that there is too much information and from what I can tell not a lot of solid information on what causes patellar knee pain. I thought I’d post on here to see if I can get more specific information about my knee pain.

I’ve slowly been getting more and more anterior knee pain. It started about a year ago and wasn’t a big deal but it’s quickly becoming a big deal. It’s the worst after I play soccer or workout. It doesn’t usually bother me while working out. Walking down stairs aggravates it, and sometimes driving does as well. Lately it’s caused me not to fully use my quads while doing squats because of the pain.

If I press on my knee directly below the patella then that causes pain, everything else is fine. I don’t have any cracking, popping, grinding, or anything else. If I stay off it for a couple weeks then it works fine.

I’d like to hear any sound suggestions. If you don’t know what you’re talking about then keep it to yourself, this subject is difficult enough.

I know Mike Boyle has a lot of articles on here regarding knee pain and specifically anterior knee pain… I remember several articles about the topic of knee pain and many times it was caused by a problem with mobility in the ankle or hip. I also remember an article I think by cressey where they discuss the way u plant your foot when u move supinated or pronated and this can cause knee pain. You can look at your shoe and based on where the wear on the sole is can dictate your problem but ive been looking all over for that article and cant find it anywhere!

[quote]Brooklyyyn wrote:
I know Mike Boyle has a lot of articles on here regarding knee pain and specifically anterior knee pain… I remember several articles about the topic of knee pain and many times it was caused by a problem with mobility in the ankle or hip. I also remember an article I think by Cressey where they discuss the way u plant your foot when u move supinated or pronated and this can cause knee pain. You can look at your shoe and based on where the wear on the sole is can dictate your problem but ive been looking all over for that article and cant find it anywhere![/quote]

That’s kind of the problem, there’s too much information on knee pain. I’m looking either for someone to diagnose my knee pain or someone that has had knee pain and fixed it.

Well, the problem is it’s incredibly hard to diagnose someone over the internet. If you don’t want to fork over the money for a good sports medicine doc/therapist (which I can understand) I’d suggest Robertson’s Bulletproof Knees.

I struggled with anterior knee pain for about 2 years. I tried about everything. When it was all said and done I realized it had nothing to do with my knee, and everything to do with my ankle and hip flexibility. So my advice is stretch your hip flexor at least twice a day along with doing that ankle mobility exercise in Mike Boyle’s joint by joint article. That along with a pair of nike free’s pretty much solved a problem that had prevented me from squatting with full range of motion for 2 years.

I had the same type of pain that you are describing, mine started when I started squatting and my knee would go over my toes. It sounds like you may have a bit of patellar tendonitis. I fixed mine by resting it for a week and fixing my squat form. During this week off I would try and keep my knee flexion at greater than 90 degrees at all times (ie. when your sitting try and keep your leg extended), I would also tie a bandana or cloth around the area whenever it did bother me, this seemed to help.

Also ice is always a good idea for inflamation, which tendonitis is. I then went back to lifing and would tie a cloth around the area when I got back from working my legs for another 2-3 weeks. I was totally healed up in about a month but it did hurt me for a while before I started treating it. Hope that helps, good luck.

[quote]ajweins wrote:
I struggled with anterior knee pain for about 2 years. I tried about everything. When it was all said and done I realized it had nothing to do with my knee, and everything to do with my ankle and hip flexibility. So my advice is stretch your hip flexor at least twice a day along with doing that ankle mobility exercise in Mike Boyle’s joint by joint article. That along with a pair of nike free’s pretty much solved a problem that had prevented me from squatting with full range of motion for 2 years.[/quote]

I think there’s a decent chance this could be my problem as well although I think increasing strength in my hip flexors will help. I’m trying to increase my overall flexibility focusing on the hips and hamstrings. How long did it take you before you started noticing results?