Knee Pain When Squatting

Good advice in here so far… One thing that has helped me was the use of neoprene sleeves. I licked up a pair of cheap slip on sleeves from te local sporttibg goods store and they have made a HUGE difference! Might be something that you want to check out.

Get your mobility in check. Foam rolling is great and if you don’t have a roller you can always get a piece of big PVC Pipe (4-6 inch diameter) and use that. Glue and old yoga mat or something around it to make it a tiny bit softer/not so slippery and you’re ready to go for only a couple bucks.

To help the healing use a hot water bottle, the heat will aid in helping more blood flow to the area. As for causes, everyone has got something to say, but it could be sore due to over use, kinda like tennis elbow. Not sure, but form would most likely have something to do with it as well.

Help it heal, heat it, blood to the area will help it heal quicker, the rest you will have to work out from advice given on here and what you find works/does not work.

Good luck, hope you heal nice and fast.

all right thanks a lot people, will be going to the gym tmrw and try to get my squat video taken. How do I foam roll? Something like this?

Hey guys, my gym didn’t allow recording so I just did a body weight squat. My knee is getting better, slightly. I’m using a tennis ball to foam roll around my glutes and thighs

you need to go a bit deeper :slight_smile:

looking pretty good, though!!!

can’t really see what your knees are up to from the side angle - but your lumbar arch is looking good!

I learned foam rolling / self release from here:

http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/self-muscle-massage-series/self-muscle-massage-pt-6-quads/

there is a whole series… the site is updated pretty regularly.

you want to worry most about your lower and upper legs (given knee troubles). hopefully you find some trigger points and get relief from releasing them!

thanks! I’m trying to ease back to normal workouts already. Did some squats today but only half of the usual weight. I felt I couldn’t go as deep as before because it felt rather awkward… nevertheless hopefully it’ll go away in the future.

Today while squatting my right knee had some clicks though, don’t think it’s such a big issue right? After all there was not pain when it clicked.

clicking without pain is fine.

i’d get a better range of motion (so you are breaking parallel) before weighting them truth be told.
stopping at parallel is harder on the knees, you see. and squatting high is, well, not squatting.