Knee Pain + Pic

Hey, I was hoping to get someone qualified or knows information bout this. My knee hurts, it’s not the knee necessarily. It’s more like beside it, I can walk fine and stuff but sometimes it bugs me. It’s been bugging me for a while but I haven’t done anything bout it until now!

So yeah, I can feel where it hurts when I move my foot in the upward position also. I don’t know what it is and if someone could help it’d be greatly appreciated!! Also, it’s on the left leg, leg side of the leg…so yeah, outer side. Thanks. The circle is where the pain is.

If it’s on the outside of your kneecap, it may be that you have IT Band issues (may be too tight).

I had this issue with running before. It felt like a ligament or tendon issue, semi-burning. Remedy was stretching

Of course, internet diagnosis aren’t too reliable. Plus, lots of things could go wrong with the knee

The mighty list of common knee problems:

Meniscus tear

Ligament irritation/rupture (LCL in your case)

Tendonitis

Yes, there are others…but these are the most common. Using the “circle the pain in a red circle” diagnosis I would say you have…?

I don’t have my anatomy book next to me, but I believe the peroneus muscle groups (at least one of them) attach near the point you indicated. Also, the dorsiflexion pain would point to an extensor problem. Any popping or clicking? Catching? Hurt while going up stairs? Point tender? Hurt while trying to sleep? After training? These are the helpful bits of info.

Bottom line: Ice…still hurt? See a doctor.

[quote]burntfrenchfry wrote:
If it’s on the outside of your kneecap, it may be that you have IT Band issues (may be too tight). [/quote]

Very good guess…forgot about this one.

I think that’s what it is, a couple of people have said that it could be too tight. I never train my calves or stertch either. I also wanna say that on both of my calves when i flex upward or downward it feels pretty tight, almost like the muscle will cramp.

So yeah it’s not really the knee, just beside it. Right now also if I put all my weight on my left leg and like lean it over to the side, it feels a bit of pain too. How should I stretch and stuff. How often? I’ll do whatever it takes to get it right. Thanks

FUTUREDOC!!! my man haha popping and clicking…yes I do have that! So what should I do? I’m deloading right now in my training…it was hurting a bit after training. since I’ve deloaded it has hurt more for some odd reason…perhaps its inflammed.

ive upped my dose of fish oil and such. How much/long should I ice, and I guess on Monday I shouldn’t squat heavy lol…can I squat at all? or do I have to wait for the pain to go away

Also is this major or minor. But yeah the things you have listed…like your RIGHT on the spot man. Please help me, I’ll do anything to get rid of this pain. If I can’t squat can I at least deadlift?..It’s a big concern cause I’m supposed to be squatting 450 w/ a belt in a few weeks but like I can’t if this shit’s in the way you know.

Thanks a lot man! I’m definately impressed that you listed the things that exactly hurt me lol

I’ve just recently gotten over my ITBS. It required quite a bit of stretching and I use a foam roller on both of my IT bands.

Check out the injury forum on runnersworld.com and do a search on “ITBS.”

I developed my ITBS from distance running. It would always bother me 3-4 miles into a run but never bothered me when doing squats or deadlifts.

I also heard that ART is quite effective for IT Band issues.

My ITB gets tight prety often, with similar symptoms.

Best thing I’ve found lately is to take a rolling pin and firmly but gently start rolling the bottom of the feet, then calves, then from the hip down to the knee. About 30 seconds per part, a good 3 or 4 rounds.

Give that a shot. Let me know how it works for you, but don’t neglect medical help either.

I have the same pain in about the same area.

I have the Bullet Proof Knees and Magnificent Mobility books and they have helped a great deal. I follow much of their advice and training programs to keep my knees healthy.

However twice in the past year I have had my pain in that area flare up. On time it was after I ran a Marathon and the other time I had just done a workout that had 100 pistols per leg in it. Rest and the Bullet Proof knees advice helped get the knee back into good order.

However just yesterday I was playing soccer and I was kicked in the lower Anterior Tibialis (dorsiflexor) pretty hard. Then not a few seconds later I was kicked in the back of my calf. I went to sprint down the field and that same area in my knee hurt like %^&*!!. It had never hurt that bad before.

I wonder if the the loss of strength in my dorsiflexor and calf caused an instability in my knee somehow bringing on the pain?

I have no popping, clicking – nothing else except pain in that area and only if I turn my leg in the right position and apply even the slightest force. Otherwise no pain and no swelling I can perceive.

I think the contributions thus far have been great.

1.) was this an acute injury? Can you link it to a traumatic/catastrophic event (i.e. a squat workout where your knee gave out)?

2.) What makes it better/worse? What exercises agravate the area? Squats? Deadlifts?

3.) Is this a chronic injury where you noticed one day that it hurts?

beef

I’ll try the rolling pin…but what do you mean by rolling pin…like a foam roller or something. I’ll also try the foam roller reccomendation. I will also stretch it everyday.

I don’t run marathons or anything but I’ve had shin splints badly before and they seem to come up fast. I think it could be that it is excessively tight maybe. But i don’t know. I wanna see what FutureDoc has to say cause he was right on the spot before.

try stretching the IT band of your left leg. To do this: stand, cross legs so feet are parallel next to each other, reach down towards your left foot whilst turning upper body to the right. this is an uncomfortable stretch initially, but keep at it and in ~3 weeks, it’ll be a lot easier. make sure you do it for both legs also.

[quote]dl- wrote:
I’m definately impressed that you listed the things that exactly hurt me lol[/quote]

Which things in particular? Usually popping and clicking points to either a meniscus problem or REAL bad ITBS (ilio-tibial band friction syndrome) because the band is actually snapping over the tibia.

As mentioned above, if the injury is acute (can you remember a specific time/day/movement when it started?) then it could be a more serious issue (meniscus). Pain up and down stairs also points to a meniscus problem.

Right now you should ice as many times a day as you can, but especially after training. 20min on, 20min off, and repeat. NSAIDs before training are fine, but this is just a crutch…it won’t fix the problem.

Still need more specifics to give a real opinion…and this is an internet diagnosis, which = amazing

[quote]dl- wrote:
I’ll try the rolling pin…but what do you mean by rolling pin…like a foam roller or something. I’ll also try the foam roller reccomendation. I will also stretch it everyday. [/quote]

It means IF you don’t have a foam roller try a rolling pin (like you would bake with). El0ic’s post is great for stretching.

[quote]FutureDoc wrote:
dl- wrote:
I’ll try the rolling pin…but what do you mean by rolling pin…like a foam roller or something. I’ll also try the foam roller reccomendation. I will also stretch it everyday.

It means IF you don’t have a foam roller try a rolling pin (like you would bake with). El0ic’s post is great for stretching.

[/quote]

No, it means regardless of whether or not you have a foam roller.

Correct on the type of device though. Just a standard bakers rolling pin.

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
I think the contributions thus far have been great.

1.) was this an acute injury? Can you link it to a traumatic/catastrophic event (i.e. a squat workout where your knee gave out)?

2.) What makes it better/worse? What exercises agravate the area? Squats? Deadlifts?

3.) Is this a chronic injury where you noticed one day that it hurts?

beef
[/quote]

Yeah the posters have really been great.

1)It’s been happening for a long time now, it’s just gotten a lot worse right now.

1. I’m guessing squats, because it works my legs the most, maybe deadlifts too though, it started hurting a lot after my deads last time.

2. Chronic Injury for sure

[quote]FutureDoc wrote:
dl- wrote:
I’m definately impressed that you listed the things that exactly hurt me lol

Which things in particular? Usually popping and clicking points to either a meniscus problem or REAL bad ITBS (ilio-tibial band friction syndrome) because the band is actually snapping over the tibia.

As mentioned above, if the injury is acute (can you remember a specific time/day/movement when it started?) then it could be a more serious issue (meniscus). Pain up and down stairs also points to a meniscus problem.

Right now you should ice as many times a day as you can, but especially after training. 20min on, 20min off, and repeat. NSAIDs before training are fine, but this is just a crutch…it won’t fix the problem.

Still need more specifics to give a real opinion…and this is an internet diagnosis, which = amazing
[/quote]

It’s actually not popping or anything now, it used to before but now it doesnt which is really strange…theres still quite a bit of pain when I walk soemtimes (i was on my feet/dancing all night cause it was prom) and when I dorsiflex…(put my feet up) I can definatly feel it. It’s only in my left leg. I think that maybe it’s overly tight or something?

I just walked up and down the stairs and I do have a pain poking me in that region of my leg. It also kinda hurts when I walk…it’s never ever been this bad before. It’s been going on for a while though (months) but very very acute before, and now it just kinda hurts like it’s kinda annoying and stuff you know.

If you think it’s better for me to go somewhere to get it checked out I definaetly will, would I go to orthopedics? what would you reccomend. I will NOT train my lower body next week (deloading is done)so I’ll just train bench and chin ups and stuff. If you could get back to me on this, it’d greatly help. and yeah I won’t train my lower body cause I definatly don’t want this getting worse. Thanks a lot FutureDoc, seriously appreciated for your time.

Get it checked out. Sometimes people can develop some patellofemoral syndrome from squats. A switch to lunges could possibly help, but again, get it checked out.

[quote]paulMD wrote:
Get it checked out. Sometimes people can develop some patellofemoral syndrome from squats. A switch to lunges could possibly help, but again, get it checked out.[/quote]

Yeah, I just don’t know where to go to get it checked out…orthopedics? I do bulgarian split squats. This just really sucks badly, cause I want to do my raw powerlifting meet in a few months.

[quote]dl- wrote:
Yeah, I just don’t know where to go to get it checked out…orthopedics? I do bulgarian split squats. This just really sucks badly, cause I want to do my raw powerlifting meet in a few months.[/quote]

You can go to your GP and get referred if that’s how your insurance works, otherwise going to an ortho directly would work.