T Nation

Knee Pain From Squatting


#1

I've just recently made the switch from doing quarter squats like most of the other people at my school to fairly legit full squats. Only problem is that now I am getting knee pain when I actually go down ass to grass.

I've noticed that it doesn't hurt until i get to parallel but once i get to parallel it starts to hurt. It doesn't hurt to run, only to squat to parallel or lower. If i let it rest it will go away for a bit but will always come back. What should I do?


#2

I have had the same problem with parallel squats but now i do deep squats and dont have the knee pain. I am also taking fish oil and a joint supplement which may have helped


#3

use a lower weight for a while.


#4

You may be squating wrong, check the squat rx videos on youtube.


#5

could be any or all of the above.

It’s not the exercise that hurts your knees, it’s how it’s performed. If it hurts you, chances are you may be doing it wrong.

If you’re doing it right, then I would look at mobility/stability issues in your ankle, knee, hip. I’d also look at hamstring flexibility and quad tightness as contributers to the mobility problems

Also, 90% is the worst angle for knee stress from a purely physics standpoint. So it magnifies instability or bad tracking. Thus, you should work on gaining the flexibility needed to work full olympic style squats.

Personally my money is on the flexibility and mobility issues. Another thing to look at is that your tendons have been working only from an extremely shortened ROM (quarter squats) for a while now. Thus it may be that your tendons are going through the painful process of regaining their elasticity. Lower weight and higher, smooth, controlled reps. Don’t bounce out of the bottom as that will make the problem worse. Try just squatting and holding it bodyweight only. Get them used to moving full range.


#6

Be sure that you sit back into your squat, you don’t want your knee bending out over your shoe. Stick your chest out and keep you back arched and tight, think sitting back more then bending down.

If you ever get the chance to watch a baby bend down and pick something up off the floor, they will exhibit perfect squat technique.

Use a search engine and get a grasp on your form, this could very well be the answer to your problem.


#7

[quote]Uber N3wb wrote:
You may be squating wrong, check the squat rx videos on youtube.[/quote]

Good one,
Squat Rx http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8CWv8UPAI
(there are more squat Rx videos)

Another good one, by Dan John,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744
(the 1st 15minutes are about squatting, the rest is about Romanian DL, and the Snatch) I used this video about 9 months ago to learn how to do a good ATG squat.


#8

btw I forgot to ask, which type of squat are you going for?

A Powerlifting squat, or an Olympic full squat? They are 2 completely different animals.

p.s and TAKE fish oil! It will work wonders for ur joints, T-Nation’s Flameout is (for me) the best, but u can also get good fishoil from any Organic Market. However, don’t buy the CVS brand it blows!


#9

Olympic full squat

Thanks for the advice guys the videos were very helpful. I think I have been leaning forward a little much and using my toes instead of sitting back into the squat. I may try some Flameout, i’ve been wanting to for a while but haven’t ever had the chance.


#10

My ortho just told me that my days of squatting ATG are over. He is best ortho in town for knees and treats local collegiate football and pro hockey teams, and is in pretty good shape himself, so he has some cred on his side.

I am 52, drink an oz. or two of fish oil every day staight out of the bottle, but may have just run one too many marathons in my mispent youth…

I can still go relatively heavy to parallel, and all the way down on OHS and front squats (due to lower weights), so at least I got something…and i can still DL pretty heavy (for me), but just can’t stand the thought of being one of those excuse-makers who says “I would squat ATG, but my doc warned me not to” - how fking lame is that.

Please, please, some one just tell me “You just gotta stay back on your heels” or give me a stretch to do, or a strengthening exercise, or something…

Or, maybe if you’re an old dude too, just tell me it’s not the end of the world.

Woe is me


#11

[quote]testolius wrote:
My ortho just told me that my days of squatting ATG are over. He is best ortho in town for knees and treats local collegiate football and pro hockey teams, and is in pretty good shape himself, so he has some cred on his side.

I am 52, drink an oz. or two of fish oil every day staight out of the bottle, but may have just run one too many marathons in my mispent youth…

I can still go relatively heavy to parallel, and all the way down on OHS and front squats (due to lower weights), so at least I got something…and i can still DL pretty heavy (for me), but just can’t stand the thought of being one of those excuse-makers who says “I would squat ATG, but my doc warned me not to” - how fking lame is that.

Please, please, some one just tell me “You just gotta stay back on your heels” or give me a stretch to do, or a strengthening exercise, or something…

Or, maybe if you’re an old dude too, just tell me it’s not the end of the world.

Woe is me
[/quote]

You have any idea how many guys dont squat or do leg work? ON PURPOSE?

Now you get to focus on getting your upper body bigger and stronger, you have a free ticket to stop training legs. Be a bench specialist or do the 8 minutes of squats thing abd be a bodybuilder.

Not being able to lift super heavy isnt so bad, your just starting a new chapter of lifting and goals in general. Set new goals and go after them just as hard and you will find its not so bad.

You still got the show off muscles, thats all any normal people care about anyway. You just gotta look at it from a posotive point of view. No need to sit around and be sad because you cant do something.


#12

[quote]Uber N3wb wrote:
You have any idea how many guys dont squat or do leg work? ON PURPOSE?

Now you get to focus on getting your upper body bigger and stronger, you have a free ticket to stop training legs. Be a bench specialist or do the 8 minutes of squats thing abd be a bodybuilder.

Not being able to lift super heavy isnt so bad, your just starting a new chapter of lifting and goals in general. Set new goals and go after them just as hard and you will find its not so bad.

You still got the show off muscles, thats all any normal people care about anyway. You just gotta look at it from a posotive point of view. No need to sit around and be sad because you cant do something. [/quote]

lolz

…you WERE joking weren’t you?


#13

About a month before I rotate squats into my training program again, I use goblet squats during warm up. It’s an excellent exercise to learn proper technique.


#14

i’ve been looking around at YouTube video and reading all the posts I can…

Seems like I may need to

  1. widen stance a bit
  2. concentrate on sitting back, not down
  3. strengthen posterior chain (my squat and DL are about equal, so looks like I should try to increase DL by 20% or so)

#15

Mine would hurt if I went ass to grass. It also hurt if I sat back into the pocket really fast. My advice is to control it down, and maintain muscle tension when you’re at the bottom. I can squat with my ass scraping the ground pain-free this way.


#16

[quote]testolius wrote:
Uber N3wb wrote:
You have any idea how many guys dont squat or do leg work? ON PURPOSE?

Now you get to focus on getting your upper body bigger and stronger, you have a free ticket to stop training legs. Be a bench specialist or do the 8 minutes of squats thing abd be a bodybuilder.

Not being able to lift super heavy isnt so bad, your just starting a new chapter of lifting and goals in general. Set new goals and go after them just as hard and you will find its not so bad.

You still got the show off muscles, thats all any normal people care about anyway. You just gotta look at it from a posotive point of view. No need to sit around and be sad because you cant do something.

lolz

…you WERE joking weren’t you?[/quote]

Completely serious.


#17

[quote]Uber N3wb wrote:
testolius wrote:
Uber N3wb wrote:
You have any idea how many guys dont squat or do leg work? ON PURPOSE?

Now you get to focus on getting your upper body bigger and stronger, you have a free ticket to stop training legs. Be a bench specialist or do the 8 minutes of squats thing abd be a bodybuilder.

Not being able to lift super heavy isnt so bad, your just starting a new chapter of lifting and goals in general. Set new goals and go after them just as hard and you will find its not so bad.

You still got the show off muscles, thats all any normal people care about anyway. You just gotta look at it from a posotive point of view. No need to sit around and be sad because you cant do something.

lolz

…you WERE joking weren’t you?

Completely serious. [/quote]

It’s a positive way of looking at a potentially shitty situation. Being upset about it won’t help you unless you can do something about it.

Posting a video if your squat is the first thing to do. Many people on here would be able to spot out things that could be making it worse.

-Matt