Knee Pain/Discomfort

I have been feeling some discomfort that borders on slight pain on the outside of my knee - what I mean by outside is if you let your arms drop to your sides, and touch the connection between your femur and lower leg.

I’m pretty sure this happened during atg squatting. I have been feeling it for the past 4 weeks or so. It hasn’t gotten any better, but then again it hasn’t gotten any worse either.

I took a week off and it didn’t improve.

Does anyone have any rehab suggestions?

For the record, I warm up before every workout and do some dynamic stretching. After the workout I do some static stretching. I squat 3x per week (5x5). I take fish oils.

(For the record, that’s not me in the picture, just some random dude I found on Google).

Thanks,
Pambele

My guess is ITB and glute issues. I had the same problem caused by tighter ITB on the painful leg, and a weaker glute on the ‘good’ leg.

Foam rolling the ITB and one legged squats ironed me out.

Thanks for the reply.

I must declare ignorance here though. What does ITB stand for?

Also, how did you use the foam roller? Fortunately we have one at our gym.

Thanks,
Pambele

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=475832

Scroll down to “Tensor Fascia Latae and Iliotibial Band”. Actualy don’t scroll down, read the whole thing!

Do a google search for ITB, and you’ll notice pretty much every running site in the world has an article on it and the problems it causes in running.

I tried the foam roller yesterday. The authors weren’t lying whent they said that the ITB portion would be one of the most painful. I think I let out a few muted whimpers.

[quote]Pambele wrote:
I tried the foam roller yesterday. The authors weren’t lying whent they said that the ITB portion would be one of the most painful. I think I let out a few muted whimpers.[/quote]

You’re damn right there. First time I tried it I was lying there trying to figure out what was meant to be happening. I realised I was very stiff, took a few deep breaths in and really started to relax and almost screamed in pain. Works wonders!