Knee Pain Caused By Calf

Looking to for an explanation. I had some bad knee pain when squatting, close stance and drop into the hole pretty quick. Tried rolling everything to get rid of it and recently rolled my calf with a ball a few days in a row. Day to day pain is pretty much gone. Trying to just understand what was the cause here. Pain was in the patellar tendon and lasted about 4-5 months some days slight other days a lot of pain.

Here?

I’ve looked at diagrams. What is pulling on what? I’m just not really seeing it

I’m not an expert but some research gives a few reasons as to what can cause this, mainly it’s caused by repeated stress. How often do you squat? I also think dropping into the hole quickly isn’t going to be very favorable.
Other factors are:

• running and jumping
  • tight muscles (quads and hamstrings)
  • muscular imbalances
1 Like

Tight calves limit your ankle motion. Your shin bones can’t “lean forward” towards your toes. Your knees have to move different to make up for the limited ankle mobility and this puts lots of stress on your patellas.

I was squatting almost every day. I have never had issues with it. Kind of came out of no where but. I’ve been lifting for about 14 years. I think @FlatsFarmer said seems like what may have been the problem. Trying to keep progressing and it put my squats out for almost 5 months.

2 Likes

I can’t disagree with anything @FlatsFarmer says, he’s a wealth of knowledge :slightly_smiling_face:
I will say though,

This can absolutely cause minor inflammation to become chronic inflammation - or tendonitis. Either way, it sounds like getting some good flexibility all around can do wonders!
I hope it all works out

2 Likes

I learned it all from Knees Over Toes Guy on ewe-tube.

This dude has me doing tibia raises before squats to get that ankle dorsiflexion warmed up and moving smooth.

1 Like

Interestingly, tendinitis doesnt actually exist. We are actual unsure why pathological tendons hurt, but we do know they lack inflammatory markers. Hence, tendinitis has been renamed tendinopathy in the last 5-10 years, as it is probably a non-inflammatory condition

It’s probably more likely that the knee pain you were experiencing was patellofemoral pain (PFP). PFP is commonly misdiagnosed as patellar tendinopathy sincd it can also be felt over the patellar tendon.

PFP is often associated with tightness and “abnormal” knee movements, which would explain why calf rolling helped. Patellar tendinopathy on the other hand will never imrove by stretching, as it is not really a mobility-related issue

1 Like

Curious as to why Dr’s still prescribe anti-inflammatories as a remedy to this, but maybe it’s better than saying “well, idk wtf is wrong with you and there’s nothing I can do”

Thanks for getting me schooled up!

1 Like

Because doctors aren’t necessarily caught up.

I’ve seen this happen time and time again in different branches of medicine, both experiencing it myself directly and hearing about it second-hand from other people (friends mostly). My own observation would be that GPs are the last to know new findings which is a shame considering they are first-line to most ailments.

2 Likes

Because, sadly, most doctors are not up-to-date with correct diagnosis and management of musculoskeletal issues. Anti-inflammatories actually make tendons worse

2 Likes