Knee Pain - Can't Flex Quad Completely

I am experiencing knee pain in my left leg. Currently, it feels tight when walking and sharp when flexing my quad.
What is really weird is that I can’t flex my quad properly, on my right side, I can flex it hard and get the rectus femoris to contract and pop out nicely.

But on my left, before my quad gets complete contraction, my knee starts to hurt right under/behind the knee cap and I can’t get complete contraction or my rectus femoris to pop out.

To summarize:
It is a dull tightness in the back of the knee (more superficial) while walking and a more sharp type pain under/behind (more interior) the knee cap when flexing.

I think maybe I hyperextended the left knee while deadlifting and have a mild version of this…

Just a theory though. I tried leg extensions and the last 10 degrees of the top ROM were pretty painful, but my knee can handle squat-type motions that don’t require a powerful contraction at full knee extension.

I would appreciate any advice.

First take some time off if its bothering your workouts, and ice it a lot. If no improvement after a weak of no activity lots of rest and especially ice, it’s worth trying to see a doctor about it.

How did you hurt it?

[quote]shizen wrote:
First take some time off if its bothering your workouts, and ice it a lot. If no improvement after a weak of no activity lots of rest and especially ice, it’s worth trying to see a doctor about it.

How did you hurt it? [/quote]

Also start mega-dosing fish oil. Seriously I didn’t believe in this until last week when I hurt my neck. Took 3 days off, iced it alot, got a sports massage and used 8 fish oil caps a day. Just don’t train over it.

Shizen,
Thanks for the advice, I will try to find time to ice it, as a father of two sometimes it is hectic though.

As for how I did it, I don’t remember a specific moment of bad pain. Rather, I noticed the tightness and pain one day just walking down the hall at work.

I tried to think about what might have caused it, and I thought maybe I hyperextended it during max attempts at deadlift.

However, that might explain the feeling in the back of the knee, but I am not sure how I came to have the pain under and behind my knee cap which is affecting how well I can contract my quad. But they both started at the same time.

Kataklysm,
I currently take 6 capsules of fish oil per day…do I need more? I also take Vitamin C which I know helps with the synthesis of collagen.

Obviously, it sounds like rest and ice are in order from these two posts.

Any other advice?
Any other thoughts about the injury or its symptoms?