T Nation

Knee Not Recovering

i tweaked my knee about two weeks ago and didnt think it was a big deal since ive done stuff like it before and had it heal up just fine. however, its still not up to normal standards by a long shot (i cant squat down with just my bodyweight without pain and extreme tension). Walking around i feel just fine, but whenever i start to squat down, i feel extreme tension and discomfort in the tendon right below my kneecap. I can still deadlift easily, its only when i squat down past a little above parallel does the discomfort kick in.

Other than taking fish oil caps and some light stretching, im at a loss for what to do about this. any comments would be appreciated.

Try to massage around the kneecap and especially the tendon above and below the kneecap. Does it hurt when you manipulate that tendon? Try to other knee for comparison.

If the tendon is sore, you likely have some scar tissue on the it. You can massage this to break it up.

Also apply ice. Up to 3 times a day for 10-20 minutes.

Give it a couple of days. If it doens’t help, go see a doctor.

[quote]thegreenzuchinni wrote:
i tweaked my knee about two weeks ago and didnt think it was a big deal since ive done stuff like it before and had it heal up just fine. however, its still not up to normal standards by a long shot (i cant squat down with just my bodyweight without pain and extreme tension). Walking around i feel just fine, but whenever i start to squat down, i feel extreme tension and discomfort in the tendon right below my kneecap. I can still deadlift easily, its only when i squat down past a little above parallel does the discomfort kick in.

Other than taking fish oil caps and some light stretching, im at a loss for what to do about this. any comments would be appreciated.[/quote]

You know I’ve had knee injuries and two weeks is just not enough time for this complex joint to heal.

Give it some time and play it smart. Stay away from all training for at least another month. I know that sucks but it will suck worse if you cause more damage to it.

In the meantime go see a sports doctor who has some training with such matters.

I would also use ice regularly if there is swelling.

Good luck and train around the knee problem. One time when I injured my knee I focused on Chin-ups and got quite good at them.

Good Luck,

Zeb

thanks for the replies, ill remember the ice. when i massage it it feels fine, its just when i squat down that it starts to hurt. ZEB, all training as in everything? because i would think i could still do upper body. would deadlifts be ok to do? someone told me the tendon that i messed up is my acl im not sure.

soft tissue(tendons and joints) can take as long as bone to fully heal.

Remember to let it heal properly weight bearing helps joint repair, but HINDERS tendon repair. and remember to allow proper recovery. Scar tissue will SERIOUSLY mess you up. be patient, VERY patient as it will really pay off. I can’t stress patience enough.

[quote]thegreenzuchinni wrote:
thanks for the replies, ill remember the ice. when i massage it it feels fine, its just when i squat down that it starts to hurt. ZEB, all training as in everything? because i would think i could still do upper body. would deadlifts be ok to do? someone told me the tendon that i messed up is my acl im not sure.[/quote]

If I were you I would stay away from ALL training that uses the knee joint! Give it some time to heal.