Knee Issues and Deep Squatting

It’s about my knee and deep squatting.

I hurt my right knee a while ago (at least 6 years) and suffer from it since then for months, then it get better and then it hurts again.
I currently squat (mostly front squat) ATG, did some ART, stretch etc.
I know I have a leg longer than the other and a problem with my hip.

So here is my question: Is it possible, as my current chiro/ART provider tells me, that deep squatting is not good for me?
Her advice is orthotics (and no more deep squatting)

What do you think?

well if you squat deep powerlifter style, and by that I mean with your shins kept straight up and your knees not travelling forward whatsoever, that may take some of the strain off your knees.

But if you have thighs which are long in relation to your torso (like me) you’ll have to use a very wide stance (sumo style) otherwise you’ll have to lean forward lot to keep your shoulders over you feet (for balance) when you’re deep in the hole. The problem with this style is it doesnt do much for your quads.

What are your goals in terms of what you’re trying to achieve from the squats?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply!

My first goal is too stay injury free and healthy!
Then I’d love to add some strength and overall mass.

I’ve been doing ATG squats because I thought it was the safest and most effective way to squat but I start having doubts about it…

Front squats are tougher on my knees than back squats.

I recommend you get some knee wraps and switch to a low bar back squat and see if that helps.

If your knees are being trashed from deep squats you should lighten the load. I personally have found more knee irritation with higher forms of squats and have heard research that backs the idea that deep squats are actually better for the knees.

Like I said it might not be the depth but the load that is causing the problem.

What is the “safest and most effective” way to do anything is going to be completely personal.

The safest most effective way for a 5’5 guy to back squat isn’t going to be the same way that a 6’5 guy should squat.

You need to find out what works for you.
If you can’t squat that deep without pain, I suggest not squatting that deep.

[quote]yarni wrote:
well if you squat deep powerlifter style, and by that I mean with your shins kept straight up and your knees not travelling forward whatsoever, that may take some of the strain off your knees.

But if you have thighs which are long in relation to your torso (like me) you’ll have to use a very wide stance (sumo style) otherwise you’ll have to lean forward lot to keep your shoulders over you feet (for balance) when you’re deep in the hole. The problem with this style is it doesnt do much for your quads.

What are your goals in terms of what you’re trying to achieve from the squats? [/quote]

This style of squatting is not necessarily better for the knees, it just asks less of the quads. And any benefit it may have as far as having the knees in a better position it trades 10 fold for hip and lower back involvement. This guy has hip problems. Deep squatting may just not be good for the man. But I wonder whether his ortho is giving him across the board advice that deep squats or bad or whether he is addressing this guy’s situation itself. Also, I wonder if the OP has the flexibiltity to involve his posterior chain in a deep squat or if he just prematurely tail tucks.

My family physician told me same thing and I didn’t want to hear it so found the premiere ortho guy in town and went to him…

He told me same thing. Said that ATG was not necessarily bad, just that it was bad for ME. I have to admit that I didn’t have knee pain until I started going deep and heavy.

I have backed off for a couple of weeks and was planning on trying to go more PL style after a little break. If that doesn’t help, I will just have to not go as deep.

I would much rather keep the weights up and go to parallel than go deep w/ like 95# on bar.