T Nation

Knee Collapse

Hi guys.

There the thing. when i squat with 90%+ or my pr. My knees tend to collapse on the way up from the bottom. on the way down they are solid, the problem comes on the way up.

So, any of you knows an eficient way to fix this problem, i don't feel pain durin or after the workout, but i understand that this is bad form and an injury risk.

I squat low bar with a shoulder wide stance (after try various widths and bar positions i find out that this is my best).

Thanks for your help.

[quote]manotas wrote:
Hi guys.

There the thing. when i squat with 90%+ or my pr. My knees tend to collapse on the way up from the bottom. on the way down they are solid, the problem comes on the way up.

So, any of you knows an eficient way to fix this problem, i don’t feel pain durin or after the workout, but i understand that this is bad form and an injury risk.

I squat low bar with a shoulder wide stance (after try various widths and bar positions i find out that this is my best).

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

Do you have a video of the heavy attempt?

I have had similar issues with knees caving in. What helped me a lot was just doing reps and focusing on keeping the knees out. If my knees began to cave around 300, I would drop the weight to 225 or even lower and do triples while focusing on screwing my feet into the floor and keeping my knees out. It has really just become a matter of muscle memory after a while.

You can also try wrapping a light band around your thighs while doing reps and keep tension on the band throughout the lift. Mark Bell has a product designed for this called the “hip circle.” Its like a sling shot for squats.

According to the Chinese weightlifting team, there’s nothing wrong with knees coming in.

And if you see Hysen Pulaku, one of the guys Abadjiev was training recently, his knees are all over the place. I don’t think this is necessarily a good thing, but it might not be as much of an issue as some people make it out to be. Even Malanichev has some inwards knee movement. If you’re squatting with a super wide stance (multi-ply style) then I can see how it would be a problem, but otherwise it’s nothing to obsess over.

[quote]chris_ottawa wrote:
According to the Chinese weightlifting team, there’s nothing wrong with knees coming in.

And if you see Hysen Pulaku, one of the guys Abadjiev was training recently, his knees are all over the place. I don’t think this is necessarily a good thing, but it might not be as much of an issue as some people make it out to be. Even Malanichev has some inwards knee movement. If you’re squatting with a super wide stance (multi-ply style) then I can see how it would be a problem, but otherwise it’s nothing to obsess over.[/quote]

True. The people you mentioned squat with a rigid torso and the inward knee motion doesn’t affect their back angle when coming out of the hole. It also doesn’t affect their ability to use their glutes correctly to finish the lift. So it really depends on whether there are other issues that caused or is caused by the knee movement.

He is not on the Chinese weightlifting team nor is his technique probably mirroring theirs. So, with out a video to really see what is going on saying don’t worry about is rather foolish.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]manotas wrote:
Hi guys.

So, any of you knows an eficient way to fix this problem, i don’t feel pain durin or after the workout, but i understand that this is bad form and an injury risk.

Thanks for your help.[/quote]

Do you have a video of the heavy attempt?[/quote]

Sorry for the delay. This is a squat with the 92%; as you may see, the knees carve in. So i really want to know how improve my tecnique.

Thanks again guys.

[quote]manotas wrote:
Sorry for the delay. This is a squat with the 92%; as you may see, the knees carve in. So i really want to know how improve my tecnique.

Thanks again guys.

[/quote]

I’m guessing you aren’t able to engage your glutes throughout the lift. If that’s true then you’ll need to work on that. Start your training sessions with bench glute bridges using a wide stance for 3x10 and some body weight goblet squats for 3x10. Focus on three things: 1) Rigid torso to have this movement carryover well to the main lifts (it’s very important that you brace your abs and lats), 2) Keep your hips open by making sure your knees track over your toes , 3) Squeeze glutes at the top and make sure you feel tension in them throughout the range of motion. Do this for 2-3 weeks and add some weight if it gets too easy (these shouldn’t be taken anywhere close to failure) while doing what you normally do for training.

After learning how to use your glutes from the accessory movements, lower the weight as necessary for your main squat work so you can integrate the glute contraction into your lift. It shouldn’t take long from there until it becomes a normal movement pattern.

Its called Knee Valgus. Work on glute medius activation.

Agree with the above two posts about glute activation, try glute bridges and side lying clam shells. Youtube those if you need a demo

[quote]Alrightmiami19c wrote:
I have had similar issues with knees caving in. What helped me a lot was just doing reps and focusing on keeping the knees out. If my knees began to cave around 300, I would drop the weight to 225 or even lower and do triples while focusing on screwing my feet into the floor and keeping my knees out. It has really just become a matter of muscle memory after a while.

You can also try wrapping a light band around your thighs while doing reps and keep tension on the band throughout the lift. Mark Bell has a product designed for this called the “hip circle.” Its like a sling shot for squats.[/quote]

If you’re not looking for a total overhaul, you could also just try putting the band around your thighs and do your warmups. It would help activate the muscle needed to keep your knees out and it would cue you to keep your knees out.

I can’t tell if you’re using them or not, but knee sleeves help with this to. It’s not that they force your knees into position, they just help you become more aware of where your knees are and what they’re doing. Unrelated, but they even help me find parallel easier so I don’t cut my squat high or excessively bury it.