T Nation

KJ Noons Refusing to Fight Nick Diaz?

I especially agree with the last line.


Well the verdict is pretty much in and it looks like the much anticipated rematch between Karl James Noons and Nick Diaz for the EliteXC lightweight belt on Oct. 4 is not going to happen.

It appears that we will not get to see “The Artist” paint his second proverbial masterpiece after all. On Inside MMA, Noons made it clear that he had no qualms with cutting up Nick�??s face again in a rematch. It appears now that Noons was only making an attempt at “trash talking” and in fact had no desire to risk losing his belt to the former UFC vet from the beginning.

As we reported yesterday, Noons was given a 24-hour deadline to sign the bout agreement required to fight Diaz at EliteXC�??s third “Primetime” event.

According to MMAJunkie.com, KJ�??s manager Mark Dion scoffed at the deadline, claiming that Nick Diaz is not the number one contender in the lightweight division.

The deadline extended to Noons�?? camp will end at 8pm ET tonight but apparently it won�??t matter. Dion addressed the deadline with MMA Junkie.

“The update on [the deadline] is nothing is going to happen with it,” Dion said. “That�??s what�??s going to happen with that. I don�??t care about how many threats [Shaw] wants to pull. We�??ll be doing a press conference if EliteXC doesn�??t see the light here pretty soon and if Shaw doesn�??t stop talking [expletive].”

Dion went on to say that Noons only wants to fight the best EliteXC can offer. So who is qualified to fight the “mighty” Karl James Noons?

Apparently Eddie Alvarez is worthy of entering the cage with the “master”. Alvarez ironically is not available at this time because he is taking personal time off.

While most fighters wouldn�??t be satisfied with winning a title due to a cut, Noons is apparently at peace with the victory. In a way you can�??t blame him. I sure as hell wouldn�??t want to step into the ring with an even more motivated and angrier Nick Diaz. You can be sure that things wouldn�??t go as smoothly the second time around.

To sum things up, Dion had a message for anyone anticipating the 5pm PT deadline:

“Forget 5 o�??clock,” Dion said. “I ain�??t waiting until 5 o�??clock. If [EliteXC officials] are holding their breath, then someone�??s going to pass out.”

The bottom line is this: A true champion will fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. It appears that Karl James Noons is not the true champion we thought he was.

Source: www.redsweat.com

But really, all we have are statements from KJs manager, Dion, who has proven himself to be a huge fucktard. He did this same crap with Vera.

Honestly I don’t know why KJ would duck Diaz, be beat him pretty decisively the first time they met and I bet Diaz’ pride won’t let him take it to the ground the next time they fight so a rematch would likely turn out the same.

Nick takes a fucking beating nearly every time he fights. Then he poof! up and subs the guy or knocks him out. I won’t comment on KJ’s motivation or character because we’re just hearing what his manager is saying. But if his manager represents his true emotions then frankly he’s a bitch.

As stated earlier in the article, Nick Diaz is a really unstable motherfucker that has to smoke weed to just be normal and able to exist around us regular motherfuckers… so I guess I wouldn’t want a re-match with him either.

Looks like the pressure is mounting…as well it should.

Just for a moment I wondered if maybe the Noons camp were trying to build the anticipation for this fight. In truth though the damage this could do to his career could be unrepairable so I doubt it.

Oisin

I heard there was some talk of Noons’camp holding out due to potential $$ issues with EliteXC.

I don’t understand all of this hype. Nick needs to earn contendership, simply challenging someone, especially the way he did when Noons got the title, is not enough for a shot. Of course since Elite is going downhill, they probably want the hyped fight.
Nick needs to earn a contendership spot, and Noons shouldn’t have to fight someone he beat and hasn’t worked his way back up yet, just because Nick enters the ring and talks shit after Noons wins the title. Should Forrest HAVE to fight Jardine if Keith walked into the ring calling Forrest scared after Forrest’s last fight? I don’t think so - this isn’t boxing, you earn your spot!

[quote]TheBeat2 wrote:
I don’t understand all of this hype. Nick needs to earn contendership, simply challenging someone, especially the way he did when Noons got the title, is not enough for a shot. Of course since Elite is going downhill, they probably want the hyped fight.
Nick needs to earn a contendership spot, and Noons shouldn’t have to fight someone he beat and hasn’t worked his way back up yet, just because Nick enters the ring and talks shit after Noons wins the title. Should Forrest HAVE to fight Jardine if Keith walked into the ring calling Forrest scared after Forrest’s last fight? I don’t think so - this isn’t boxing, you earn your spot!

[/quote]

So how many fights does Diaz have to win before he’s earned his shot? It isn’t like EliteXC is rolling deep in the lightweight division.

Seriously, I want to know. Noons won a single fight after getting planted by Krazy Horse before he got a shot at the title, and now Diaz has to run some kind of gauntlet before getting a rematch over a disputed fight in the first place?

This is from Graciefighter.com in response to KJ bitching out:

We break down the KJ Noons cryfest point by point.

[quote]
“Honor my contract. Elite XC wants to talk about honoring the contract. How about when Elite XC honored the contract and my pay to fight Edson Berto went down after I lost my first fight. That was not part of my contract. Or how about the contract Gary Shaw breached by not promoting my boxing career? Gary Shaw only gave me one out of four of the agreed upon fights. I have not boxed for over a year. When I signed with Elite XC, I was promised they would promote both my boxing and MMA careers. I could have signed with another MMA only company, but I wanted to box too.”[/quote]

GF- 1) Earth to KJ; you don’t have a boxing career. No one in the boxing world knows who you are. 2) Another MMA company would have paid you less and not given you a title shot, especially when you were 1-1.
3) If you will not fight Diaz due to a breach of contract by EliteXC then why would you fight Alvarez for the same terms?

GF- EliteXC weight classes were never dictated by Nick Diaz. Diaz would have preferred a 165lbs class. That’s why he likes fighting in Japan at 167lbs. He has difficulty cutting to 160lbs. 2) Jake Shields has been promoted the same way and is quite happy.

GF- 1) Nick Diaz, Jake Shields and Frank Shamrock were flown in to shoot an instructional trailer on grappling for the CBS show. The signings were an after thought. You weren’t flown in because you aren’t a grappler. We are sure they will fly you in if they need an instructional on whining. 2) Your contract was for Showtime. Diaz and Shields both signed longer deals for CBS. Nathan Diaz signed a special long term contract for Spike TV etc…
This is a business not Burger King, you can’t have it ‘your way’.

GF- Diaz got no extra tickets in his home town of Stockton and isn’t complaining. 2) Bringing a fighter into the ring to promote an upcoming fight is standard practice. Your (I could of been a contender) drunk father, started a near riot and should be banned from further events and immediately placed in an Alcoholics Anonymous treatment center for his own self respect.

GF- Promoters will sue when you don’t fulfill the terms of your contract, just ask Randy Couture. By the way, you are not Randy Couture and the fight world is not holding it’s breath waiting to see if you will fight again. 2) $83,000? There are several fighters that are a lot better than you fighting for a lot less. Pay your dues and quit being a little bitch. 3) You are paying your management too high of a percentage and here’s some advice you should consider, “they are completely incompetent”. 4) Chuck Liddell makes 100s of thousands more than Keith Jardine even though he lost to him. Diaz does not complain that Kimbo makes much more. He understands marketability, why can’t you? 5) Divide this and then multiply it several times: KJ = little bitch > KJ = real champion
6) We agree you do need more Vaseline. You are used to it and damn those EliteXC guys for not using it when they bend you over.

GF- 1) It is not up to you to decide who the #1 contender is. That is EliteXC’s sole discretion. Patrick Cote will soon be fighting Anderson Silva at the UFC’s sole discretion. Silva is not complaining because he fights whomever they put in front of him. Silva fought Rich Franklin after wrecking him the 1st time. Serra rematched GSP his very next fight after demolishing him. Serra got paid less than GSP even though he was the Champion after the 1st fight. These men are true Champions and fight anyone. This is a concept you cannot seem to grasp. 2) You are scared because Diaz, despite having a terrible showing last time was stopped by cuts. God forbid the doctor that let the fight continue against Gomi had been calling the shots at your fight. In your heart you know what would have happened and you would rather live the lie of being a paper champion. 3) What will EliteXC ever do without you? I guess you will have to watch from your couch. Drink a beer. Prepare to make a ritual of it.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
TheBeat2 wrote:
I don’t understand all of this hype. Nick needs to earn contendership, simply challenging someone, especially the way he did when Noons got the title, is not enough for a shot. Of course since Elite is going downhill, they probably want the hyped fight.
Nick needs to earn a contendership spot, and Noons shouldn’t have to fight someone he beat and hasn’t worked his way back up yet, just because Nick enters the ring and talks shit after Noons wins the title. Should Forrest HAVE to fight Jardine if Keith walked into the ring calling Forrest scared after Forrest’s last fight? I don’t think so - this isn’t boxing, you earn your spot!

So how many fights does Diaz have to win before he’s earned his shot? It isn’t like EliteXC is rolling deep in the lightweight division.

Seriously, I want to know. Noons won a single fight after getting planted by Krazy Horse before he got a shot at the title, and now Diaz has to run some kind of gauntlet before getting a rematch over a disputed fight in the first place? [/quote]

I must retrack my statements a bit, I was unaware of how many fights Nick has won since their last fight - three. I was just under the assumption from a few friends that he has just had one fight and then challenged Noons, which is fine, but usually not enough to regain contendership. Noons should not duck the fight IF EliteXC wants it, he does however have the right to tell Nick to screw-off personally, but it does appear to be more than that.

hahaha. That bastard noons lost his belt. They stripped him for being a ween. Good times. Yeah, I’m a Diaz bros. fan. I still can’t believe they stopped his fight for that cut.

Pretty retarded move on Noons part. Enjoy your ‘boxing’ career.

Noon’s manager is a scum bag who cost Vera tens of thousands of dollars and a year of his career. Not surprising that when he’s got another top fighter on his roster he’s fucking up their career as well.

Honestly dude… I really hate to say anything negative about any pro fighter other than fight critiques but… what a fucking Vagina McVaginastein! Total bitch move Noons, total bitch move.

Whether it’s his manager he agreed with the dude. This is what happens when you have a fight with ‘athletes’ and not fighters.

Allow me to dissent…

Match-ups in the most organizations are based on one fact: What will sell tickets. We all recognize that fighting is a business, and while we might complain a little, we get over it.

Why then do we call fighters who attempt to make a smart business decisions, “pussies”?

It really doesn’t make sense to me.

Fighters have a few years of earning potential. That’s it. They need to make as much money as possible in a very short time.

What’s wrong with them trying to make as much money as possible?

I don’t have any problem with a fighting “ducking” someone if he has a smart business reason to do so.

As is turns out, Noons seems to have made the wrong decision. That said, I respect his reasoning.

When Xen starts fighting for the UFC, he’ll start off saying, “I’ll fight anyone they put in front of me!” He’ll even take fights on short notice. Anything to get into the Octagon.

Then he’ll hit the big time, and then he’ll start thinking of matchmaking as a way to further his career. And I’ll never say the guy is a pussy or that he’s ducking anyone.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Fighters have a few years of earning potential. That’s it. They need to make as much money as possible in a very short time.
[/quote]

While I agree with your post, especially the part above, I don’t see it applying here so much.

Your argument holds up much better in boxing than MMA for the simple fact that the sport is more established and there are more “quality” fighters. MMA is still in its infantile stage with a limited number of fighters people will pay to see.

This basically means that only a handfull of guys (Fedor, Cro-cop, Wandy, Couture - barring legal restrictions :slight_smile: -, etc… can pull it off.

I just don’t see Noons as a guy that holds the bargaining chips as to fight selection.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
And I’ll never say the guy [Xen] is a pussy or that he’s ducking anyone.[/quote]

I will and I’ll specifically quote this thread!

Touche…

But what about this fight wouldn’t sell tickets?

The only reason to NOT take this fight is because he feels that he got a lucky win and would be defeated soundly the second time.

Oddly enough imo he could probably win.

As Ruggerlife pointed out this isn’t boxing. This is why as much shit as we all talk about Dana White he’s right he has the appropriate business model. If he tells you that you’re fighting someone, you’re fighting that person or they’ll just waste your contract time.

If you want to make as much money as possible you fight who is put in front of you. Now I know that MMA fans are fairweather at best but still go through the guy, don’t go around him. If you’re going to, don’t do it the way Noon’s did it. I won’t get into it but RL touched on it…Noons thinks’ he’s a bigger draw than he is.

I agree with this,

[quote]I don’t have any problem with a fighting “ducking” someone if he has a smart business reason to do so.
[/quote]

Neither do I, but I’ll be damned if I start whining and not fighting guys cause I’m afraid of them.