Kirk Karwoski

I’m interested in the kirk karwoski training and his body. How could I combine the principles of his training and yours of the 531 system.

[quote]tamaral wrote:
I’m interested in the kirk karwoski training and his body. How could I combine the principles of his training and yours of the 531 system.[/quote]

What are the exact principles of his training? I’m really not sure he actually stated any of them. I wrote an entire article years ago about 5/3/1 and Kirk but didn’t really take into account his principles. Hell, I don’t remember anything about the article.

But having his principles for us to understand will be a good thing as I’m a big believer in principles. That is what the 5/3/1 program is all about; the 4 principles.

I saw on the Internet that kirk follow a 4 days split program similar to 5/3/1 but he trained with singles, doubles and heavy rep schemes but his body was thick.I love the 531 program but i am interesting in old school training like this.
Thanks Coach!

[quote]tamaral wrote:
I saw on the Internet that kirk follow a 4 days split program similar to 5/3/1 but he trained with singles, doubles and heavy rep schemes but his body was thick.I love the 531 program but i am interesting in old school training like this.
Thanks Coach![/quote]

Your information was pretty wrong - read Marty Gallagher’s book “Purposeful Primitive” for more details about Kirk’s training.

How would his training look like?

[quote]tamaral wrote:
Thanks Coach![/quote]

I think the reason Kirk was/is thick is because he is so damn strong. Anyone that squats 800x5 with just a belt would have to be built like Kirk.

As far as old-school training is concerned, 5/3/1 is based around heavy barbell lifts and can be executed correctly with very few assistance movements. I don’t see how it can get more old-school than that.

It’s one of the top links when you google Kirk’s name. I just glanced at it, but it’s four days with each day dedicated to one of the big four. Regardless, I don’t know what there is to combine: 5/3/1 basically is all about heavy, compound movements and the Wendler Six are the only assistance (accessory? I get those mixed up) movements he recommends. You really can’t get much more old school (or simple) than this. As for Kirk, the description there isn’t very specific… not specific enough to follow, for sure.

I also noticed, after more reading, that (true or not), an apocryphal story has developed on message boards and other posts that Kirk never missed a rep while working out. This is more important in terms of mimicking Kirk than is his workout split. Whether the story is true or not, the lesson is that the guy was so intense and so committed to the goal that people around him respected him enough to develop the legend. If you’re that intense and you have a program that works, you’ll make strides. I don’t know that you’ll be that thick, but you’ll be thicker than you are now.

Another piece of advice I’ve picked up from people far more knowledgeable about lifting than I am: don’t mix programs.

seems pretty straight forward.

Maybe try some Karwoski Shrugs in the place of dumbbell rows for a few weeks?

i did see an interview where he squatted one day, did arms the next day, then deadlifted, then bench. idk i could be wrong whatever who really cares.
i really think you should not train like any of these elite lifters. theyre definitley freaks, and 95% of us are normal jerks

[quote]tamaral wrote:
How would his training look like?[/quote]

“…read Marty Gallagher’s book “Purposeful Primitive” for more details about Kirk’s training.”

Reading those old articles…Bodybuilding really killed proper gym etiquette.
What would the world be a different place without those bro-splits and rice with lean chicken meals.

[quote]Cobblepot wrote:
Reading those old articles…
[/quote]

What caught my eye was the section “Startin’ Out”… even back then, there were “special methods” that would “optimize your training”. Those methods have all changed, been incorporated into something else, or have disappeared altogether. But the basic principles of lifting have remained.