Kirk Karwoski On Booting Dweebs Out of His Squat Racks

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Sounds like a real fucking asshole. If you’re in a public gym, you wait your turn, just like everybody else.

Hearing this meathead ramble on reminds me of that scene in “Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story” where that jock tells Bruce to get off his equipment because it’s 3pm. It didn’t turn out all that well for him in the end.[/quote]

He said he waits 5 minutes, should be long enough to finish up.

At my gym, I’m pleased when I see other people actually squatting or trying to. (Not very many do.) So I don’t mind sharing a rack for legitimate reasons. But those who take up a squat rack for shit that they could do anywhere else in the gym: like curls, or dumbbell raises, or pullups (when there are other places to do pullups) really annoy me.

In the video, Karwoski specifically mentions the type of dweebs who sit there talking about who they banged at a party. I don’t think his ire would be directed at other serious trainers who he found using a rack for its intended purpose. I don’t know this about him, but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn he’s the type who’d be willing to help out a struggling newbie who was using the rack to actually try to squat.

I used to boot them out if they weren’t squatting or using it for a legit purpose. I’d just drop my bag nearby and say loud enough for them to hear, “I know someone is not using MY squat rack to do ”. I’d walk away to the locker room to “freshen up”, return, and the scafflows would be gone.

Am I an asshole? Yes. Was I being a bully? I don’t think so. I just don’t have the patience to explain to every idiot that they can do somewhere else while I cannot squat anywhere else.

I just watched it and I don’t think he was referring to kicking out someone that was actually squatting. He was referring I think to people bullshitting around and/or hanging their shit on the squat rack. But it is open for interpretation b/c of the editing, and perhaps purposefully. And by the way, the spotters on his missed squat SUCKED. That’s what always made me nervous about meets and max attempts. SMFH

[quote]BobParr wrote:
I don’t know this about him, but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn he’s the type who’d be willing to help out a struggling newbie who was using the rack to actually try to squat.[/quote]

There actually is/was a guy here on T-Nation that trains at his gym and if I remember him correctly he reports him as being a nice guy. Maybe he’ll weigh in.

If Capt Kirk wants to use the rack, he can use the rack. I’d be honored to have my squatting cut short by him.

[quote]Amiright wrote:
if someone came to use my rack when I’m using it with aggression like that… even if i’m taking an extended rest between sets etc… I’d put a 45lb plate through their head.

[/quote]

Might not work with Capt Kirk.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Amiright wrote:
if someone came to use my rack when I’m using it with aggression like that… even if i’m taking an extended rest between sets etc… I’d put a 45lb plate through their head.

[/quote]

Might not work with Capt Kirk. [/quote]

Maybe not, but there’s also no way in hell someone is going to forcibly remove me from my rack.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Amiright wrote:

[/quote]

Maybe not, but there’s also no way in hell someone is going to forcibly remove me from my rack.[/quote]

I could be taking a dump while reading the newspaper by the squat rack, if anyone is going to force me out physically, they will never step foot in that gym again.

Some people here think that the law does not apply when they step in the gym.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Amiright wrote:

[/quote]

Are you implying that because is he large and strong, that he can fight? You chin has neither size nor strength - only the common connection to your brain’s off switch :slight_smile: The human body has several such frailties. One only need be skilled in the art of connecting with them or defending them. Big and strong helps, but does not always carry the day :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth. I am like Karwoski myself, in RL.

In HS, I had my school-gym privileges suspended several times for doing what this guy does.

I partly refuse to join, ‘public’ gyms, because I would have to deal with these ‘dweebs.’

This is just one of many reasons that my home-gym while still being perfected ( it’s all racks benches, DBs, and BBs ), is suited for me.

My biggest RL influences in Weight Training, two MUCH older guys, trained alone like I do now, and at their homes and or on their property at least.

These guys pushed even harder on ‘dweebs.’

They were blackballed from some fitness chains actually…

Knee-jerk reaction would be clear the rack of anyone using up your oxygen and get your awesome on. On a more cerebral note, if someone is doing curls in the rack for a reasonable amount of time, how douchy is it to say my squats trump whatever you’re doing, even though they probably do. You didn’t pay a membership to get displaced everytime a superior individual walks within 10 feet. That’s why I lift in a basement.

What editing or context are you people referring to that makes it seem as though he is speaking strictly in regards to douches clogging the squat rack?

His quote is one long, uninterrupted spiel. Yeah, he mentions “those types” later on, but not in regards to booting people out of the rack. He is talking about anyone using “his” rack on Monday at 5:30.

I don’t give a shit WHAT someone happens to be doing in the squat rack - if you can’t be bothered to act like a human being and ask if they wouldn’t mind letting you hop in at some point (or whatever), you are a twat. Grabbing their bar and tossing it away just reinforces the meathead, roid-raged stereotype.

Yeah…I’m going to have to say that dude’s an asshole in regard to the squat rack. While I am a patient man, I would probably catch a case if someone were to try that bs with me. I don’t suffer rude people very well. As Bodyguard pointed out, can’t build muscle on your chin. Nor can you build muscle on your nuts. Both of which would be monkey-stomped.

Typically, I wait until the person is done with a set of whatever they are doing, then politely ask how many sets they have left. From there, I warm up and stretch out until they are done. Too easy.

[quote]anonym wrote:
What editing or context are you people referring to that makes it seem as though he is speaking strictly in regards to douches clogging the squat rack?

His quote is one long, uninterrupted spiel. Yeah, he mentions “those types” later on, but not in regards to booting people out of the rack. He is talking about anyone using “his” rack on Monday at 5:30.

I don’t give a shit WHAT someone happens to be doing in the squat rack - if you can’t be bothered to act like a human being and ask if they wouldn’t mind letting you hop in at some point (or whatever), you are a twat. Grabbing their bar and tossing it away just reinforces the meathead, roid-raged stereotype.[/quote]

Yes…my comment that IF he was reffering specifically to squat rack curlers, then throwing them out is heroic, means that he is doing what we’d all love to do, what we’ve all daydreamed about doing. But, there is a definite reason that we don’t actually do these things (we live in a civilized society and are not animals simply driven by impulse). So its sort of a catch 22.

And I really wonder how these people reacted. Like Lanky said, I don’t care how big or accomplished anyone is, you’re not throwing me off a piece of equipment that I am using.

[quote]Eric 2.0 wrote:

[quote]anonym wrote:

I don’t give a shit WHAT someone happens to be doing in the squat rack - if you can’t be bothered to act like a human being and ask if they wouldn’t mind letting you hop in at some point (or whatever), you are a twat. Grabbing their bar and tossing it away just reinforces the meathead, roid-raged stereotype.[/quote]

Yes…my comment that IF he was reffering specifically to squat rack curlers, then throwing them out is heroic, means that he is doing what we’d all love to do, what we’ve all daydreamed about doing. But, there is a definite reason that we don’t actually do these things (we live in a civilized society and are not animals simply driven by impulse). So its sort of a catch 22.

And I really wonder how these people reacted. Like Lanky said, I don’t care how big or accomplished anyone is, you’re not throwing me off a piece of equipment that I am using. [/quote]

This is one reason why some people ultimately must train in ‘private.’

I COULD handle a ‘public’ gym, but my biggest influence COULD NOT.

They wouldn’t give a shit if you don’t think they are the proper Gentleman-Weight-Lifter any more than I do…

‘Fitting in’ was never their thing…They took that to the gym too…It’s seems they cared so little to ‘fit in’ that they where ‘kept out,’ eventually

So went where they would stay out of trouble…

I don’t condone some of the lengths these men went to ( they went further than me or Kar ) but I accept their personalities…

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Amiright wrote:

[/quote]

Maybe not, but there’s also no way in hell someone is going to forcibly remove me from my rack.[/quote]

If some fucker threw any plate at me, I’d let him use the squat rack for sure… Then I’d kick his fucking knees out when he had 500 lbs on his back.

What a fucking asshole.

There are all kinds of retards that use public gyms and think because they are “hardcore” they run shit.

He is a very good example of someone that needs to get dat ass whooped.

Sounds like nobody’s actually watched the entire documentary, but the footage at the end while the credits are rolling suggests that Karwoski was exaggerating a bit. Nothing directly states that, but their playing outtakes from different points in the movie and they show Karwoski getting fired up and at one point in his rant he curses and a voice from off-camera says something to teh effect of “whoa, whoa, you cant say” Kirk immediately calms down and says “Now hold on, YOU told me to - YOU said” and then somethign to the effect that the filmmaker had encouraged Kirk to have a “ham it up” a bit on camera. On the other hand, I can totally see it happening as described

[quote]Amiright wrote:

In a public gym… you wait your turn or ask if you can use it in a decent manner. [/quote]

Hahaha, ok, NOW who’s the one being a tough guy? I’d be willing to bet that even if Karwoski DID come at you like that, nothing of the sort would happen

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

[quote]Amiright wrote:

[/quote]

If some fucker threw any plate at me, I’d let him use the squat rack for sure… Then I’d kick his fucking knees out when he had 500 lbs on his back.[/quote]

I know you are joking but, this very thing happened to one my biggest influences.

According to legend any ways…Chased a guy off the Squat Rack, and when he started to pyramid up to some heavy weights, got kicked in the back of the knee. Got injured a little.

Now what really sucks about this story is that courageous 160 # back stabber, did not MAN UP and REPLACE this big guy in the rack and do his thing.

No the back stabber runs out of the gym…Leaving the big guy hurt…

Do two ‘wrongs make a right?’