T Nation

Kipping Pullups

what are your thoughts on this?my friend showed this to me. Personally i don’t trust anything that doesn’t use proper form. what you think?

They’re obviously training for gymnastics. I don’t see why you would do them unless you got tired of doing regular pull-ups or wanted to be a gymnast.

[quote]WeaponXXX wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=z4Vc0eKlYKM

what are your thoughts on this?my friend showed this to me. Personally i don’t trust anything that doesn’t use proper form. what you think?[/quote]

What is there to trust? It’s not like they were claiming this was the best way to do pull ups. If anything, it was an instructional on how to kip. They were just fuckin around so who cares how they were doing it.

Obviously this would not be the best way to do pull ups if your trying to get stronger or build muscle.

But if you were in a competition, and there were no rules against kipping, then there would be nothing wrong with doing it to pull a few more reps for your total.

Not sure what your looking for here with your question.

[quote]WeaponXXX wrote:

what are your thoughts on this?my friend showed this to me. Personally i don’t trust anything that doesn’t use proper form. what you think?[/quote]

Like anything - there are pros and cons depending on why it is used.

For example if you need to record max reps and strict form is NOT needed then they are awesome. You can pound out way more reps once you have the technique down. That said, the technique is harder than it looks.

Overall it is more of a Cross-Fit thing and you can improve endurance and strength. But will you pack on muscle? I have my doubts.

Does anyone know any Cross-Fit dudes who have impressive physiques?

I think your missing the point of exercises outside of the bodybuilding realm. Everything works something, it is all about your goals, and staying away from injury.

But as someone ealier said it appears to be more of a gymnastic movement, plus something more explosive then an average pullup. Explosive movements are pretty much used to train your muscles to apply more force.

Also, the clip you sent the guys were pretty sloppy compared to another clip on the list of a crossfit guy.

My thoughts are that all the swinging around/momentum is just like cheating the weight up, reminds of the showoff at the gym curling a weight too heavy so he thrusts his hips forward and throws his shoulders back.

[quote]cueball wrote:
WeaponXXX wrote:

what are your thoughts on this?my friend showed this to me. Personally i don’t trust anything that doesn’t use proper form. what you think?
[/quote]

What is there to trust? It’s not like they were claiming this was the best way to do pull ups. If anything, it was an instructional on how to kip. They were just fuckin around so who cares how they were doing it.

Obviously this would not be the best way to do pull ups if your trying to get stronger or build muscle.

But if you were in a competition, and there were no rules against kipping, then there would be nothing wrong with doing it to pull a few more reps for your total.

err actually my friend was claiming that it is the best way.

A decent short article on kipping pullups with good links for further research at the bottom.

http://joshsgarage.typepad.com/articles/2006/04/what_is_a_kippi.html

I do both, typically I’ll use kipping pullups if I’m doing a circuit or a met/con workout. I’ll use strict form if I’m doing it with weight or just straight sets.

Kipping I get around 20, strict I can get around 13.

[quote]WeaponXXX wrote:
err actually my friend was claiming that it is the best way.
[/quote]

Err, you didn’t say that in your original post. Just that he showed it to you.

And again, like most of us have said, it could be the best way depending on it’s application.

Err ok

It’s funny, I just saw some guys doing this yesterday. And looking back, for some reason they let kids get away with this in the physical fitness test in high school. Then again, One-Eye Wesley Walker was our teacher…yes, Wesley Walker, the ‘78 Jets MVP wide receiver. "You mean I got to take these mo-rons bowlin’?" What a pimp.

Granted people have different fitness goals, but one thing I noticed from those different videos was that none of those guys looked like they have ever lifted a weight in their life.

They don’t have a gymnasts’ build or control, nor do they have a bodybuilders’ build.

To me that says a lot.

Then again it may be their goal to not look like they lift or they may simply want to kip a lot of pull-ups.

[quote]phox wrote:
They’re obviously training for gymnastics. I don’t see why you would do them unless you got tired of doing regular pull-ups or wanted to be a gymnast.[/quote]

Either that or Sasuke: NINJA WARRIOR!

Seriously though, those are the pullups I do at the end of a set when I want those last few reps.

I think they’re a great exercise. More power. You would need to ensure a full ROM which could easily be compromised.

Kip Pullups have their use and benefits.

I think they should always be called kip pullups.

When someone says they can do 20 pullups but it turns out they were kipping I am not as impressed and feel deceived.