Kinks for Butt Wink

blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } I’m done

j4gga2
September 14 |

jbackos:
You’re rushing the setup big time. Try the following steps

I actually cropped the setup out of the video, and am trying my best to do all the things you listed, maybe with the exception of squeezing the glutes and rebracing before squatting down.

jbackos:
out of the hole your knees move forward

strongmangoals:
your knee sometimes travels forward when you’re coming out of the hole.

Is the fix for this really just awareness of body position + tightness?

Also sorry @strongmangoals for not naming you earlier

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

jbackos
September 14 |

OK progress was made. Lets go further: You’re rushing the setup big time. Try the following steps and if I miss something others can chime in: Put your hands on the bar as close as possible without hurting your shoulders.Get under the bar and dig the bar into your back.SQUEEZE your shoulder bl…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I disagree with the observation being taken out of context. While you can disguise dorsiflexion limitations, she was wearing olympic weightlifting shoes in both examples, and the only significant change that’s visually observable is change in knee angle.

Nonetheless, a vertical shin while squatting will force the pelvis to round in order to reach depth, regardless of shoes or lack thereof.

The reason I mentioned it is someone noticed his knees coming forward out of the hole, which isn’t a problem I’ve ever heard of. But it’s usually because the shins have have come back in the bottom positioning.

Very few people can achieve a totally vertical shin. The point is to be “as vertical as possible” depending on anthropometry.

The fix is to train the posterior chain. I had the same problem of shifting forward, that’s how I cured it.

Oh and BTW. Cover the fucking mirror.

Too long to read everything so sorry if this has been said:

As someone who has and will forever battle butt wink and all it’s forms…

I am not even sure that is butt wink. You are hyper extending your lower back and then it goes neutral.

The other thing is I think you are trying to squat like something you saw in a video that you think is the perfect low bar squat (I am guilty of this too). We are all built differently, find your squat.

With that…

• Stop sticking your ass out like that.
  • Let your knees go as far forward as is necessary…and then some
  • Stay more upright than that. Raw squatting is and should be quad dominant so let it be quad dominant.
  • Brace your abs. This should help keep your spine neutral.
  • Open your Taint (#CoanIsGOAT) and let your body sink straight down into the hole.

Post a new video.

EDIT for ANkle Flexibility:

The single best ankle stretch I have done is walking while placing most of my weight on one foot and pushing my knee as far forward over my toes as possible. A load bearing ankle stretch if you will which most directly translates to squatting.

Better? 60kg

That looks much better, I still think you should push your knees a bit more forward though.

Work on that walk out…a lot :smiley:

2 Steps are all you need and slow down out of the rack.

1.You have NO SETUP. Either get yourself a coach or watch Coan, Wenner, Lilliebridge or any other top lifter and observe how long it takes before they walk out.

1. The bar is out in front of your center of gravity (the front of your ankle). You can get away with it with light weight but heavy weight will bend you over like a cheap camera. You are probably not spreading the groin apart. If you spead the groin apart (Coan calls it opening the taint), the hips come in closer to the bar and your torso becomes more upright, balancing the bar over the center of gravity.

Finally posting a video squatting 135 is a waste of time. Next time post a video of a 90% squat. 135 is too light to show many defects. In your case your form is so bad that 135 reveals serious issues.

This is not a flame fest, but someone needs to be straight with you. Get to work.

Good luck.

Alright guys cheers for the advice. I’ve got a heavy single here from last Tuesday. That’s the heaviest ive gone and the walk out is complete shit, and has been practised since.

Second is the most recent squat video, but it’s only 75 for a fast triple

Bar is waaaay out in front.

Posterior chain is (to paraphrase Jim Wendler, weak as piss). Work the hams, glutes, calves and lower back. Hamstrings need to have 2/3 the strength of the quads at a minimum. Once you do this AND open the taint your form will fix itself.

Like jbackos said, the bar is drifting forward. It looks like your center of balance at the bottom is the balls of your feet. Keep your head and chest up as you descend and maintain even pressure between the balls of your feet and heels.

Your setup/walkout is messed up, even in the newer video. You look like you are in a rush. You need to slow things down a bit, unrack the bar and let the weight settle before you take a step back. There is no need to go so far back either, maybe a foot or so is good. And once again, when you reach your final position - stop, let the weight settle, take a deep breath and brace, then descend. These things might not make a huge difference right now, but as you get stronger and the weight get heavy they will make all the difference in the world so learn how to set up properly now. Also, when you do reps, stop at the top, take another breath, brace again. There is no need to rush, this isn’t like some bodybuilding thing where you don’t want to lock out and you have to keep moving all the time to maintain tension on the muscles. It’s highly questionable whether bodybuilders should train like that, and they certainly aren’t doing it for triples.

Just to add a few comments to Chris’ post.

1. Just before you begin to drop, take in your last big breath of air. Take it into your stomach, and brace as if you were about to get punched in the gut. If you take a big breath into your lungs, your chest will rise and fuck up your setup.

2. Don’t overtighten the belt. Leave it one hole looser than pain so you can push out against it when you brace.

Thanks for the advice on bracing and on belts J. I’ll certainly keep that in mind once I start whacking those on (I’ll have to buy one first)

I’m planning on doing Good Mornings for squat assistance with 351. Hopefully, that will do the trick.

Great cue from the How to Skwaat video, I’m definitely working on getting it into my thick skull.

Sometimes, I do just that, but other times (like the ones videoed) I feel pulled away from the rack by the bar, I’m guessing this has something to do with how I’m taking it off the rack?

This is actually super helpful because I’ve always wondered if Squat for 5 had to be 5 continuous reps or you could breathe and reset between reps (same deal with Deadlifts)

Good mornings, hi bar squats to a low box sticking your but out to the rear to exaggerate the forward lean, stiff leg deadlift, and others.

Right now though work on the techniquue first. Open the taint and fix all the moving around and rushing. Don’t add weight until you get it right. When you at least have the form basics, add the assistance work.

Oh, and GAIN WEIGHT. You look like what Wendler calls a skinny bastard - LOL

What? You mean 158lbs and tubby isn’t going to get me a record? :rofl:

Working on that side of things, hoping to compete in the 180s or 190s for competition

I can see why, you set your feet before you even get under the bar. You probably have your feet too far forward so the weight is making you fall backwards. What I do is stand in front of the bar and set my grip, then put my feet approximately where I want them. Then get under the bar and make sure it’s in the right spot on my back, and then fix my foot position so that the weight is evenly distributed between my heels and balls of feet. It might take a while to figure out where exactly that is, but keep doing it until your find the spot. Overall, you need to slow down your setup and really focus on what you are doing.

Can you actually do 5 reps on one breath? Even on bench you should definitely breathe between reps. Sheiko said that this was one of the biggest technical errors he noticed when he did some seminars in the US. I know there are people who don’t breathe or reset between reps, but I can’t imagine a good reason to do so. Mike Israetel (who is a competitive bodybuilder among other things) said that any supposed benefits of time under tension are lost to the fact that you wont be able to do as many reps. The only excuse I could think of is if you are doing Westside-style speed work, but even then I don’t see the point.

1 Like

Thanks for the pointers on setting up. Also with the squats i wasn’t really ever doing 5 on one breath, but I would often take quick breaths and try and hold my brace. Needless to say, it didn’t work too well but I thought thats what 5 true reps meant (continuous)

I don’t reckon your squat has many issues (besides walkout fiddling). Its impossible to tell from the camera angle to what degree but you come forward a bit at the bottom and your hips shoot back a bit coming out of the hole. I don’t reckon it’s that big a deal but your tightness is.

Put another way, if we made your positioning perfect, I dont reckon many lbs would go on the bar but if we made you tight as AF, I reckon instant improvement would come.

Personally, I would just do pause squats (and really practice staying rock solid in your walkout)… in place of those speed squats if that was your top set.

This was supposed to be a TM test, seeing as I’m planning on going on to 531 (technically, 351). I’ve got a log up now if you care to check it out, J4GGA2’s 6 Month Solution.

They were fast because it’s my understanding that Jim wants a 90% TM to be an explosive triple, and I’d rather go slightly too light than too heavy choosing a TM.

In regards to the tightness issue, that mostly feels like a practise makes perfect thing, correct? If not I can always throw in some pauses on my FSL sets

In addition to what we all said here, I’ll add that I don’t think you should be on an intermediate program yet. Nothing wrong with 5/3/1 but AMRAP sets are not a good idea unless your form is dialed in.

Also speed work ( a la westside) demands that form be on point.

What I would have you do is 8-10 x 2 at around 80% resting at least 3 minutes between sets. Instead of an AMRAP, you would do a Hepburn style progression where you add one rep to the last set, then one rep to the last 2 sets, then 1 rep to the last three sets etc. When you can get 8 x 3, add 10 lbs to the bar. It’s a 5 lb increase each month (like 5/3/1) but you have a lot of sets to practice your set up with and you will avoid fatigue and technique breakdown that you would have in an AMRAP set. You would squat twice a week with limited assistance (leg curls, calf raises). This system generally adds 100-150 lbs to a squat within a year.

Its old school basic work.