KingBeef: How did you get so BEEFY?

Kingbeef - what’s a day in the life look like? How do you eat, train, etc…

this might help a little

http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/pictures_pics_photo_body_image_performance/some_progress_pics_from_wimp_to_pimp

Wow! Just saw KB’s latest avatar, arms are looking beastly. Tremendous progress, I’m impressed.

in b4 watermelon and fried chicken

It might be worth mentioning that KingofBeef’s primary thread (linked in post above) could be included in the “How the Biggest Became the Biggest” section of the sticky at the top of this forum.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
in b4 watermelon and fried chicken[/quote]

this

I don’t know why King Beef gets dibs on fried chicken and watermelon, who the hell doesnt love watermelon and fried chicken, they’re freaking delicious.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
I don’t know why King Beef gets dibs on fried chicken and watermelon, who the hell doesnt love watermelon and fried chicken, they’re freaking delicious.

[/quote]

I second this. Then again, my calves are tiny and my vertical is well above average for white boyz. Must be some correlation there.

Thanks, guys. To me these threads are one of the best compliments you can get on this site. I’m moving this weekend so I should be able to make a decent post on Mondayish

This should be good

Looking forward to it

Jesus Christ at that new avatar.

His new avatar is a optical illusion. Wear a very tight shirt to looked jacked. Just kidding man. Looking good tho.

Have you been using any advice given from this site since joining? If so, what advice has really stuck with you?

[quote]kingbeef323 wrote:
Thanks, guys. To me these threads are one of the best compliments you can get on this site. I’m moving this weekend so I should be able to make a decent post on Mondayish[/quote]

Why don’t you just pick up your new place and move it to you with your freakish arms?

Ok here it goes. I’ll do it in 3 posts: history, current training and current nutrion. Wall of text incoming.

I started training at 19 at 130lbs (now 24 213ish lbs) after seeing a book that my dad had bought entitled “Gaining Mass,” which was about a really skinny guy that got jacked. Before that I never worked out or thought about working out. Only experience in a gym was at school where people were making fun of me for not being able to bench the 45lb bar.

So I got started with that program, which was 3 days a week basically push/pull/legs, M/W/F. It was 1 exercise per bodypart pyramided 8,6,4,2 all sets to failure, with a burnout/dropset. Wasn’t really that serious about it as I was off and on and did the leg workouts like once or twice a month on average. I trained that way pretty much up until the middle of 2008, which would put me at the 2nd picture on my photo thread. I think the best thing I got from that book was the diet, which was something like 18-20x bodyweight in calories a day and 1.5g per pound of bodyweight in protein a day, which of course I wasn’t always consistent with back then.

Around that time I felt pretty unsatisfied with my physique and was bored with the GM routine so I searched around on the internet for a new routine, which led me to routine #10 on A. Pak’s website. Despite doing it “wrong” and doing every set to failure, I managed to make some good gains, which led me to the third picture in my photo thread, which was December of 2008.

That was around the time I found this website and became obsessed with obtaining big arms after seeing a guy on another website who’s arms looked amazing to me at 17". Naturally I started training “Poliquin style” since he seemed to be the resident arms guy with a 3 day split on a 5 day rotation. Chest/back, Legs, Arms, 2days off, repeat (that’s right no direct shoulder work, which I paid for, lol). I did 5x5 on 2 exercises for each bodypart (every set to failure, lol) and made some good gains until things started to get stagnant in April 09 (I’m using my log book from back then to get all these details). That’s when I started to experiment with even higher frequency after reading more on this site and others, training every bodypart 2x a week on a push/pull/legs split. I trained like that until about October 09’ and made better gains during that time than any other in my training career up to that point (I’m sure it helped that I was very consistent with my diet and eating a lot of protein as well and I was at least training legs once a week by now, lol).

In November I came across AST’s max-ot training system and it seemed very appealing to me so I decided to try it (as you can see, I love to experiment). Made absurd gains in strength and gained a good amount of size to go with it (especially in the legs) from then to about April. February '10 update on page 4 of my photo thread.

That’s also where I noticed my chest sucked so decided to switch to all dumbbells for chest for a while, which worked very very well for me. Was doing regular bb ramping style workouts during this time period as well, which was from about March to December '10. For all bodyparts I did 3-4 exercises 3-4 sets of 4-8 top 2 sets to failure on every exercise. 6 day split was Back , Chest, Quads, Arms, Hams, Shoulders. In that time period I had stupidly injured my elbow starting my bicep workout with heavy incline curls and not warming up properly. Only recently (November) have I been able to start training biceps again. Update for end of this period on page 6 of my photo thread.

Ooookk, on to current training.

I’m back to training Max-OT style and I think I will continue to train this way for the foreseeable future, as it works VERY well for me. Making the same absurd gains I was last time I followed it’s principles and I am spending MUCH less time in the gym. Don’t know why I ever stopped (well actually I do, it’s called program ADD, lol).

For those that aren’t Familiar with this style of training (I know I’ve seen a few threads about it on here I think there’s even one on the front page now) I will reiterate.

1. Each workout should last approximately 45ish minutes.
  2. Train only 1 or 2 muscle groups per workout/day.
  3. Do 6 to 9 total heavy sets for large, 4-6 sets for small muscle groups.
  4. Do 4 to 6 reps per set to failure.
  5. Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets.
  6. Train each muscle group once a week.
  7. Take a 1 week break from training every 8 to 10 weeks.

A lot of people seem to have concerns about their joints and injuries when training in the Max-OT rep range all the time but if you warm up properly as well as take the week off every 8-10 weeks (most people don’t) it shouldn’t be an issue. I also take super cissus, which is the BEST thing I’ve ever done for my joints, they never bother me now. Here’s my current split:

Monday - Chest/Tris (International chest day ftw)

Incline dumbbell Press - 3x4-6 <-Don’t think I’ll ever not start a chest routine with this exercise even if it’s just 1 set. King of chest exercises IMO.
Flat Barbell Press - 2x4-6
Dips - 2x4-6
Pushdowns - 2x4-6
French Press - 2x4-6 ← Favorite triceps exercise. I really feel that it’s responsible for a good deal of my triceps size and why my long head is so good.

Tuesday - Back/Bis (I don’t know if I’d like these rep ranges for a beginner for back work or someone with poor mind muscle connection to their back, but it works very well for me because my mmc is excellent and I do 2 second negatives on each rep, which slightly reduces the amount of weight I can use but makes the exercises more effective, IMO.)

Barbell Rows - 3x4-6
Neutral grip Pulldowns - 2x4-6
Medium Grip pulldowns - 1x4-6
Seated Rows - 2x4-6
Pinwheels - 2x4-6
Alternating Dumb curls - 2x4-6

Wednesday - Legs (Extreme focus on 2-3 second negatives for all exercises is helping my legs tremendously. Quads especially, since I’ve also ditched the back squat for a while)

Lying Leg Curls - 2x4-6
RDL’s - 2x4-6
Cybex Leg Press - 2x4-8
Leg Press - 2x4-8
Hack Squat - 2x4-8

Thursday - Shoulders

Seated OH Barbell Press (ass slid forward so it’s more like a super high incline press) - 2x4-6
Seated Dumbbell Press - 2x4-6
Cable Laterals - 3x6-8
Dumbbell Laterals - 1x6-8
Rear Delt raises on inlcine bench - 3x-6-8 ← Was doing very high reps (20-40) on this for a while which worked great, just recently came back to the heavy rep range.

Friday - Traps/Calves/Abs/Forearms

Shrugs - 3x4-8

Standing calf raises - 3x4-8 (my calves are growing suprisingly well from being trained once
Seated calf raises - 3x4-8 a week like this.)

Cable Crunches - 2x10-12
Weighted Leg Raises - 3x10-12

Reverse wrist curls - 2x8-10
Wrist curls - 2x8-10
Static Holds - as much holding time as I can get in 8 mins moving up in weight when total holding time increases by 20% (just came up with this and added it in for this week, hopefully it helps)

Since the middle of 09 I’ve been very consistent with my diet always eating a bare minimum of 300g protein, 3000 cals a day. Usually I’ve tried to stay closer to 350-400g protein and closer to 4000 cals. I feel that keeping my protein intake very high, which a lot of people might say is overkill, plays a big role in consistent progress and being able to handle heavy eccentric focused training on a regular basis.

At the beginning of this year I was torn between continuing to gain weight or getting dumb shredded to shut down the beach this summer (yes I’m relatively lean but no where close to shredded). This is about when I was turned on to the pulse feasting articles and decided to give the intermittent fasting thing a shot for gaining muscle/losing fat.

I decided to use the pulsing strategy with the leangains approach to intermittent fasting because it seems easier to get in all the food I want to take in in the larger feeding window. Basically it’s a 16 hour fast followed by an 8 hour feeding period. I have 3-4 pulses (usually 4) in the waking hours of the fast (which supposedly has the same effect of about 180-240g of whey with a very small fraction of the calories) and 3 huge meals during the feeding period totaling about 2800 cals, 200g protein, 300g carbs, 90g fat.

I train first thing in the morning with a pulse 20mins pre workout along with 5g beta alanine, 5g creatine, 5g leucine, 6g citrulline malate and immediately post workout another pulse. Remaining pulses are spread out by 2.5 hours and then I eat 30 mins after the last pulse. First meal is usually ridiculously huge with a dumb amount of carbs and then the other 2 are reasonably sized. Sometimes it’s 3 equal size meals of all the same thing. Sometimes I only eat twice. All that matters to me is that I hit at least 2800 cals and 200g of protein.

I’ve been following this approach for a little over 5 weeks now I think and am very surprised/pleased with the results. I never thought I could have so much energy in the gym without eating anything prior to lifting much less hit pr’s on almost every single exercise, every single week. I’m slowly getting leaner while maintaining my bodyweight. Now that I really think about it, I think I’ve actually gained weight because my morning empty stomach weight is about the same as I weighed at my full stomach weight before. Arm/thigh/calf measurements are up and abs are more defined. It’s very nice to be able to just go about my day getting things done without worrying about carrying food and shakes around with me. Definitely makes the diet part of things so much easier.

Anyway that pretty much sums it up for now. This is how I train and eat and it works very well for me. Is it optimal? Who knows? All I know is that I’m happy with the progress I’m making so will continue doing what I’m doing.

Also, I know I was kind of all over the place with my thoughts so feel free to ask any questions about anything I might not have been clear on or missed completely.

Do you do seated or standing french press?

KB: Are you using MAG-10 or some other casein hydro? Also, you don’t have carbs around training? And each pulse is 1 scoop?

BTW, you’re looking beefed up from the teeth up! Good work, time to find a nice woman on the beach, settle down and have a couple kids! But seriously, you’re gonna mop up this summer, looked ripped up from the tips up!

[quote]Blaze_108 wrote:
Do you do seated or standing french press? [/quote]

Seated. Can use more weight. On those I do a slow negative, pause for a second when bicep touches forearm and I can’t lower the bar anymore, then explode up.

Did I read somewhere that you’re a personal trainer in a gym? What kinds of people make up your clients?