Kinesiology in the UK

I’ve been doing a little looking around for a Kinesiologist in my area, and I have to admit, I’m a little confused.

My area is basically East Anglia in the UK (although can travel as far as Cambridge), and after doing a few searches, and calling round a few places, I’ve come to the conclusion that all the places that bill themselves as Kinesiology centers are Applied Kinesiology ( Applied kinesiology - Wikipedia ) as opposed to the Bill Hartman, Eric Cressy, Mike Robertson type Kinesiology ( Kinesiology - Wikipedia ).

Is there anyone on here that can recommend a good Kinesiologist somewhere around the Cambridge / East Anglia area. I’d even consider London (although I’d prefer not to because of the extra travel costs) or possibly Birmingham (since I’m up there on a semi-regular basis).

[quote]Roual wrote:
I’ve been doing a little looking around for a Kinesiologist in my area, and I have to admit, I’m a little confused.

My area is basically East Anglia in the UK (although can travel as far as Cambridge), and after doing a few searches, and calling round a few places, I’ve come to the conclusion that all the places that bill themselves as Kinesiology centers are Applied Kinesiology ( Applied kinesiology - Wikipedia ) as opposed to the Bill Hartman, Eric Cressy, Mike Robertson type Kinesiology ( Kinesiology - Wikipedia ).

Is there anyone on here that can recommend a good Kinesiologist somewhere around the Cambridge / East Anglia area. I’d even consider London (although I’d prefer not to because of the extra travel costs) or possibly Birmingham (since I’m up there on a semi-regular basis).[/quote]

Are you looking for someone to help with an injury? I know two great manual therapists in Oxford, although it might not work geographically for you.

Feel free to email me: ec@ericcressey.com

Yeah, it’s kind of a long term injury I’m after help with, although to be honest, I’m not too sure if it’s muscle imbalances throwing everything out of wack.

Cheers Eric, I’ll drop you an email and get those addresses. Oxford is a little way away, but I’m at the point where I’m willing to travel if it’ll help.

Are you close to this guy?

www.bodychek.co.uk/whatisaCHEKpractitioner.htm

Try Core Camcbridge in…cambridge.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:

[/quote]

London is about an hour away by train. I’m never quite sure what to make of CHEK practictioners, I know some people (including I believe Alwyn Cosgrove) swear by them, and others have their doubts (yes, that’s putting it mildly, but again, I’m not sure if that’s the system of Paul Chek they dislike).

Cheers for the link, I’ll give them a look, see how much it’s likely to set me back with travel thrown in.

Just out of interest, have you been to see this guy / company or know someone that has?

[quote]Omega_Red wrote:
Try Core Camcbridge in…cambridge.[/quote]

Had a quick glance over their website, seems pretty good. Have you used these personally, or know someone who’s used them, or is this just a random google hit :slight_smile:

I’ve worked directly with the CORE lads via my rugby club (and my previous club too) and I understand their first assessment looks closely at muscle imbalances - at the very least you’ll get a solid referral if they can’t help and I’d imagine they’ll know someone who can help if they can not.

Whilst talking about CORE they know their stuff inside out and the facilities are awesome.

If I had the cash right now I’d be down there regularly.

[quote]Roual wrote:
GumsMagoo wrote:

London is about an hour away by train. I’m never quite sure what to make of CHEK practictioners, I know some people (including I believe Alwyn Cosgrove) swear by them, and others have their doubts (yes, that’s putting it mildly, but again, I’m not sure if that’s the system of Paul Chek they dislike).

Cheers for the link, I’ll give them a look, see how much it’s likely to set me back with travel thrown in.

Just out of interest, have you been to see this guy / company or know someone that has?[/quote]

No I haven’t dealt with him directly, but I know others who speak highly of him.

Thanks for the replies guys. At the moment, I’m leaning towards the Cambridge one, purely because it’s a lot easier for me to get to and I’m very impressed with their website (the information on it, not the site itself).

If anyone’s interested, I’ll post how I get on with them.

Hey Roual,

I was alerted to this thread by bluebear.

I own Core Cambridge, and if you’d like a screening then I’d be more than happy to offer it to you for free seeing as you’re a T-Nationer. If we can help, we will, or we’ll point you in the right direction if we can’t.

Probably best to contact me via our website.

Kind Regards.
Dan

[quote]coredan wrote:
Hey Roual,

I own Core Cambridge, and if you’d like a screening then I’d be more than happy to offer it to you for free seeing as you’re a T-Nationer. If we can help, we will, or we’ll point you in the right direction if we can’t.

Kind Regards.
Dan[/quote]

Looks like I’ll owe both of you a beer very soon.

Thanks Dan, I’ll drop you an email over the weekend to let you what’s up and see if you think you can help.

Cheers.

[quote]Roual wrote:
coredan wrote:
Hey Roual,

Kind Regards.
Dan

Thanks Dan, I’ll drop you an email over the weekend to let you what’s up and see if you think you can help.

Cheers.[/quote]

Where’s my beer? :slight_smile:

[quote]Omega_Red wrote:
Roual wrote:
coredan wrote:
Hey Roual,

Kind Regards.
Dan

Cheers.

Where’s my beer? :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Not that soon dammit, at least wait until I’ve had my appointment :slight_smile:

Something’s been bothering me lately.

You know how sometimes, you do something which seems adequate at the time, but as time goes on, you wonder if you could have done more? This is one of those times.

I did go to see these guys, and afterwards, I created a new post singing the places praises. I think that post had a total of about 100 views and no replies.

So, looking back, here’s what I should have said (or what I should say now).

When I went to see the guys over at Core, I already had a good idea what was wrong, but they confirmed it and corrected parts of my diagnosis. I was suffering from rather severe anterior pelvic tilt, caused (or combined with) tightness in the IT band on my left, which also contributed to issues with my right shoulder and headaches.

The assessment process took about half an hour, after which they discussed what was wrong and followed up with exercise and stretching recommendations to address the muscle imbalances causing so many problem.

I went reasonably quickly from strugging with stairs on a bad day to doing step ups with an olympic bar over my shoulders, and am now starting Nate Green’s Built for Show workouts with full depth front squats and step ups, which 5 months ago I would have had to substitute for 10 minutes on an upright bike.

It was always my intention to go back and see the guys again and, if they’d have had me, got personal training there occasionally. Alas, as usually happens, things kept coming up until the idea didn’t seem that important anymore.

I’ve recommended this place to more people than I can remember, normally in passing, so I can’t tell if they actually followed up on it or not.

If you’re in the UK and you happen to travel past Cambridge, then go in and see these guys, if nothing else, you’ll see what a proper gym should look like.

So, Dan, sorry I didn’t do this sooner, considering the amount of help you guys managed to give me in such a short period of time, I really should have, and Omega_Red, yes, I owe you a beer.

Hi Roual,

Maybe this should be a PM, but I just wanted to say thanks, that’s really decent of you - and I’m really pleased that you’ve made progress, that’s great news.

You really don’t need to have worried about ‘returning the favour’ for all this time or anything like that - it’s totally cool, but I really appreciate the sentiment anyway.

Take care mate.