Kindle v. Nook v. iPad v. ???

I have a kindle it’s awesome. It does PDFs and all fine. It also stores an on-line library, so you can re-download any books you’ve purchased (you don’t have to keep them all on the physical memory). battery lasts forever and I like reading on it better than a book. easier to hold and flip pages, no book marks or anything.

The only down side to the liquid paper stuff is that, like a book, you can’t read it in the dark. Oh, and there are about a million free e-books available.

The color version of the screen technology is supposed to be out in 2011, if you wanted to try and wait for it.

Oh, one of the problems with using something like an I-pad to read on is not just the back lighting, but the touch screen too. The touch screen is a glossy overlay that ads glare. Reading on an i-pad is actually worse than a standard computer screen.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I have a kindle it’s awesome. It does PDFs and all fine. It also stores an on-line library, so you can re-download any books you’ve purchased (you don’t have to keep them all on the physical memory). battery lasts forever and I like reading on it better than a book. easier to hold and flip pages, no book marks or anything.

The only down side to the liquid paper stuff is that, like a book, you can’t read it in the dark. Oh, and there are about a million free e-books available.

The color version of the screen technology is supposed to be out in 2011, if you wanted to try and wait for it.

Oh, one of the problems with using something like an I-pad to read on is not just the back lighting, but the touch screen too. The touch screen is a glossy overlay that ads glare. Reading on an i-pad is actually worse than a standard computer screen.
[/quote]

Which version of Kindle do you have. Does it have the feature to zoom in on pdf docs? That’s what was missing on my girlfriends kindle. None of the pdf manual’s that I downloaded from Cisco could be zoomed in on. You can play with the portrait/landscape setting but there was no actual zoom which is standard on all pdf readers on PCs.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

Which version of Kindle do you have. Does it have the feature to zoom in on pdf docs? That’s what was missing on my girlfriends kindle. None of the pdf manual’s that I downloaded from Cisco could be zoomed in on. You can play with the portrait/landscape setting but there was no actual zoom which is standard on all pdf readers on PCs.
[/quote]

Yeah, it’s the new version. it zooms in.

[quote]postholedigger wrote:
Twas a joke…I’m a big fan of technology. I don’t own a kindle or nook, though.[/quote]

I was trying to find a pic of a high tech fan… but I fail.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Twas a joke…I’m a big fan of technology. I don’t own a kindle or nook, though.[/quote]

I was trying to find a pic of a high tech fan… but I fail.[/quote]

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

http://www.bigassfans.com/[/quote]

Well played.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, it’s the new version. it zooms in.[/quote]

Thanks. I’m going to call Amazon and see if maybe there’s a firmware upgrade to the old Kindle. Not being able to change the size of pdf is ridiculous.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

http://www.bigassfans.com/[/quote]

It makes sense that people with big asses need fans too…

When in doubt, get all three. That’s what wifey did.

Get the Kindle. I just bought a Kindle 3 Graphite 3G and I love it. The only reason to buy one is for the convenience. As far as the whole Kindle vs Nook debate goes, the Kindle is cheaper and made by a far larger company. You’ll likely be happy with either, but the Nook’s “pluses” are really just gimmicks. “Read any book for free for 1 hour/day in store.” If you’re in the store, you might as well read the real thing for an unlimited amount of time.

As far as “lending books” goes, you can give any book you download for the Kindle to anyone you want, for free. Forever and ever. All it requires is manually connecting your Kindle to your PC, where you can then copy the Kindle file in it’s documents folder. Then you can just e-mail it to the person. Most of my books I’ve downloaded for free. The public database is immense. I don’t think I’d ever buy an e-version of a book over a hard version, though, unless I didn’t particularly care about the thing, i.e. textbooks and such.

[quote]FlameofOsiris wrote:
Get the Kindle. I just bought a Kindle 3 Graphite 3G and I love it. The only reason to buy one is for the convenience. As far as the whole Kindle vs Nook debate goes, the Kindle is cheaper and made by a far larger company. You’ll likely be happy with either, but the Nook’s “pluses” are really just gimmicks. “Read any book for free for 1 hour/day in store.” If you’re in the store, you might as well read the real thing for an unlimited amount of time. As far as “lending books” goes, you can give any book you download for the Kindle to anyone you want, for free. Forever and ever. All it requires is manually connecting your Kindle to your PC, where you can then copy the Kindle file in it’s documents folder. Then you can just e-mail it to the person. Most of my books I’ve downloaded for free. The public database is immense. I don’t think I’d ever buy an e-version of a book over a hard version, though, unless I didn’t particularly care about the thing, i.e. textbooks and such. [/quote]

It may be important to note that B&N isn’t doing well. They may not even be around in the future or might be bought out or something. I don’t know what that wold mean for the nook.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]FlameofOsiris wrote:
Get the Kindle. I just bought a Kindle 3 Graphite 3G and I love it. The only reason to buy one is for the convenience. As far as the whole Kindle vs Nook debate goes, the Kindle is cheaper and made by a far larger company. You’ll likely be happy with either, but the Nook’s “pluses” are really just gimmicks. “Read any book for free for 1 hour/day in store.” If you’re in the store, you might as well read the real thing for an unlimited amount of time. As far as “lending books” goes, you can give any book you download for the Kindle to anyone you want, for free. Forever and ever. All it requires is manually connecting your Kindle to your PC, where you can then copy the Kindle file in it’s documents folder. Then you can just e-mail it to the person. Most of my books I’ve downloaded for free. The public database is immense. I don’t think I’d ever buy an e-version of a book over a hard version, though, unless I didn’t particularly care about the thing, i.e. textbooks and such. [/quote]

It may be important to note that B&N isn’t doing well. They may not even be around in the future or might be bought out or something. I don’t know what that wold mean for the nook.[/quote]

I completely agree. I alluded to that when I said that Amazon is a much larger company. Too bad for them, though. I love Barnes and Noble.

If I do get one I am leaning towards the Kindle 3 without the 3G. I have wireless at home and do not travel enough to worry about 3G. Just load up the Kindle and go.

Has anybody used the Text-to-Speech function? I listen to a lot of books on CD and would like this feature if it sounded halfway like normal speech and not like Shakespeare via automated answering system.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
If I do get one I am leaning towards the Kindle 3 without the 3G. I have wireless at home and do not travel enough to worry about 3G. Just load up the Kindle and go.

Has anybody used the Text-to-Speech function? I listen to a lot of books on CD and would like this feature if it sounded halfway like normal speech and not like Shakespeare via automated answering system.[/quote]

It sounds horrible. Definitely not something you would ever use. But let’s be realistic, it’s often horrible just listening to REAL people read to you, as they lack the emotion and talent to make whatever they’re reading sound captivating. If you wanna listen to your books, stick with real audio books read by either authors or professional/famous actors.

+1 for the Kindle.

Can’t comment on the Nook, but the iPad is a huge waste of money.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

Can’t comment on the Nook, but the iPad is a huge waste of money.[/quote]

How so, it does what I bought it to do, and it does it better then a netbook…

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

How so, it does what I bought it to do, and it does it better then a netbook… [/quote]

Doesn’t it cost a lot more than a netbook too though?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

How so, it does what I bought it to do, and it does it better then a netbook… [/quote]

Doesn’t it cost a lot more than a netbook too though?[/quote]

Yup! About double.

If you want a mobile eBook reader, the iPad is not the best choice, the Kindle is. E-ink + a huge battery life = winner.

If you buy an iPad for playing games then yes it probably does that better, and the battery life is pretty good too (compared to a notebook). But, if you want to actually get some real work done, then it’s not better at all. The keyboard sucks, can you run any MS office products on it? How about a full web experience? For the most part, it’s an oversized iPhone - as with many tabs and pads coming out at the moment (oversized phones) and a waste of money unless you want a new gadget.

I chose the iPad over the Kindle for reasons other than book reading. But I prefer it for book reading, too, because many of the books or magazines I’d be willing to buy in digital format require color. If I read lots of novels, I might get a Nook/Kindle/Sony in addition to the iPad, but I don’t read many novels.

Although the e-ink screen is far more readable in bright light and outdoors, the fact is I hardly ever read outdoors. I read in bed every night though, and the dimmable backlit screen of the iPad is perfect for that.

Another big plus for the iPad I just learned about:

With the Google book reader app for iPad and the Kindle app for iPad, you can read practically anything that’s available.

Tried out the Nook today and nearly got a migraine from the dark screen between pages (it flashes a negative screen before the new page loads). Does the Kindle do this?