Kind of Pissed (Grippers)

at myself.

I just got by #150 gripper in the mail. I somehow thought 150 lbs was hard and that I would have to work up to closing it after months of hard work. haha… I closed it 50+ times.

I feel stupid as hell.

What gripper should I have bought?

I dont even know how anyone could tell me this…

some lifts
deadlift 425
suitcase deadlift 185, 3 times
curl -ez bar 135, 5 times

www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1253

280lb Ironmind…seems insane, give it a try!!! only 20 bucks

COC #1.5

[quote]THE_CLAMP_DOWN wrote:
at myself.

I just got by #150 gripper in the mail. I somehow thought 150 lbs was hard and that I would have to work up to closing it after months of hard work. haha… I closed it 50+ times.

I feel stupid as hell.

some lifts
deadlift 425

[/quote]

What brand is it? Your grip must be way ahead of your lifts if it was in fact a 150 lbs, the #1 CoC from ironmind is rated at 140 lbs and no one I give mine to can close it first time trying it. the #2 is rated at 195 lbs and I find a big difference between the two. I recently got the CoC 3# and am miles from closing it, it’s rated at 280…give that one a try and report back.

I dunno, the CoC doesn’t seem to hard for me.

And a 135lb curl for 5 is heavy, so if your crush strength is similar to your arm strength, i would not say that your lifts are behind.

#2 would probably be more up your alley.

All I’ve got to say is that from personal experience hand strength grows ridiculously fast if you train your hands everyday compared to just about any other body part.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
THE_CLAMP_DOWN wrote:
at myself.

I feel stupid as hell.

some lifts
deadlift 425

What brand is it? Your grip must be way ahead of your lifts if it was in fact a 150 lbs, the #1 CoC from ironmind is rated at 140 lbs and no one I give mine to can close it first time trying it. the #2 is rated at 195 lbs and I find a big difference between the two. I recently got the CoC 3# and am miles from closing it, it’s rated at 280…give that one a try and report back.
[/quote]

He probably bought a different brand.

My friend has a 200 lb gripper from a different brand and it is easier than my COC #1.

It’s possible though that the OP just naturally has a very strong grip. My gym lifts are weaker than his, yet I was able to do 5 reps with my COC #1 straight out of the package.

It would depend what brand of gripper you have. And grippers vary. My HeavyGrips 250 is stronger than my COC#2 though I have tried other HeavyGrip 250’s that were easier. Also, grippers have different spreads. I have small hands and the size of the spread on the HeavyGrips makes it easier for me to get the gripper into place.

Ask yourself why you are using the gripper. Gripper strength, and the ability to close big grippers, doesn’t have a ton of carryover to other grip feats. If you have a very weak grip, yes, but once your grip works up, closing bigger grippers becomes about technique as much as strength.

The cheapest route would just to be to pick up a set of HeavyGrips. You can usually get a set of 100-300 for pretty cheap. I think it’s about 5 grippers in all. And just use the weak grippers for single finger work, pinch work, or strapholds. Other than that, start buying the COC grippers. Pick up the #1, 1.5, and 2. Whoever suggested the COC#3 to start was dreaming. You could also look at the Robert Baraban grippers for some in between weights and quality workmanship.

Heavy Grips
http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Grips-Hand-Grippers-Single-150lb-Gripper_W0QQitemZ140232771503QQihZ004QQcategoryZ28067QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it was cheaper than CoC…ehhh…

#2 coc is on ebay for cheap…so I will try to get that.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:

Ask yourself why you are using the gripper. Gripper strength, and the ability to close big grippers, doesn’t have a ton of carryover to other grip feats. If you have a very weak grip, yes, but once your grip works up, closing bigger grippers becomes about technique as much as strength.

[/quote]

I bought it so it would strengthen my forearms—grip for pullup/chinup variations.

[quote]THE_CLAMP_DOWN wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:

I bought it so it would strengthen my forearms—grip for pullup/chinup variations.

[/quote]

Doing weighted hangs for time will do more for that than CoC will.

I bought a set going up to the # 2. I worked those grippers. Worked 'em like hell for months and couldn’t close the #2. Stopped using them and did weighted 2 hand and 1 hand hangs up to a minute per session for a month and closed the #2 no prob.

Gave 'em away to a friend who likes that sort of thing, but haven’t used any since.

I see them more as a calibration tool than a training implement now.

If you can suitcase DL 185 you’re past the #2. Don’t bother with grippers. Spend the money on food.

The heavy grips are not comparable to CoC as they vary way too much, and they wear out pretty quick. I would just start with the #1 and #2, 1.5 maybe if your not progressing to the #2 as quick as you want. The .5’s I think become more important on the way to the #3 and above.

I think their a fun tool that has helped build my grip strength quite a bit, as well as adding good forearm size. I have closed my CoC #3 on a good day with a deep set but I’m little far from mastering took several months to get even this far-though not super serious, though grip should not be main focus imo-

The grippers are tough on the hands though, don’t be suprised if you wake up many days and can’t close your hand for a bit. Also suspect to get many new calluses all over your hands.

I got the heavy grips set a few years back. I do think its more of a show than go method. That’s its carryover is small. Holding heavy weights is still the best thing for a PL’ers grip. If you were somehow some sort of professional gripper than sure these would be more functional.

Have not used my heavy grips in months

Why would grippers carry over to deadlift grip strength?

They’re two completely different things.

I would suggest starting with COC#4 if your name was Popeye the Sailorman and your forearms are equal in size to your 18-19 inch guns.

If not, then start with a #1 or #1.5 for most sane individuals starting on the path of grip strength training.

Thank for the advices…

[quote]Hanley wrote:

[/quote]

They don’t really. I would do deads against bands with WTF tension. Hold the top for a few seconds.

WTF Tension… Amazing.

In the same vein;
-Kroc Rows
-Farmers walks

[quote]Hanley wrote:

[/quote]

While I would agree in general, grippers could potentially have their place. Doing high reps wouldn’t translate but doing overcrushes on a heavy gripper or strapholds for time might. The reason being that you are forcing your fingers to not get pulled open with those, much like hanging on to a bar a heavy bar…

I was going to order the Heavy Grip set (75 to 350) next week…

Is it being said here that that brand isn’t very good? Besides it being advertised at the back of every male genre magazine, I wasn’t aware of another brand.