Kimbo's Cauliflower Bail Out

[quote]danew wrote:

On to Kimbo. The one thing that pisses me off more than anything is when my sport is made into a sideshow joke. I think the woman’s fight was not a joke at all, they were trained fighters and fought well. Kimbo and Thompson…no.

Now, it isn’t that they were worthless fighters, or that they didn’t fight hard, or that they weren’t even somewhat skilled, but that stoppage was completely bogus. I have not seen a more obvious example of an org wanting a certain fighter to win.

It would’ve been bad for ratings had Kimbo lost, and that was simply not going to happen if EliteXc could help it. Now, I’m not into hating on Kimbo as a fighter. It’s true that most top 25 heavyweights would dispatch of him in a round or two.

Especially guys like Jake O’Brien who could take him down at will and hold him there. But he has had three fights. At three fights, he’s fighting guys he should be fighting. So this fiasco isn’t really his fault. But shame on EliteXC for taking MMA’s opportunity to shine on network TV and making it look like a sure fixed fight. Thank you for the WWE comparisions.[/quote]

No they are not worthless fighters, but for a main event, and for as much hype as it received, and for as much money as Kimbo was sure to make (after only 2 MMA fights), and for how close to being a fixed fight it was, I think it really hurts MMA on a whole. (i’m not disagreeing with you, just hopefully adding onto your thoughts) It’s the weakest link theory.

It hits close to home for me. I trained at MFS facility in Bettendorf, Iowa. I trained with and was one of those guys who busted their asses for years working local shows and events and getting a ton of small time fights, having a good record and still not getting a shot at a better paying league.

I don’t like all that storyline crap that goes along with Kimbo either. They make him out to be such a martyr. He was homeless and served time and blah blah blah… He trains for about two years with Bas and then has a very poor showing in my opinion.

I’m not cutting the guy any slack. One of the interviews I read with him he said he decided after this fight he might cut back on smoking a little bit. He might cut back?!?..what an over achiever…

Now we watch… MMA becomes WWE.

MMA is entertainment.

Gloves, rounds, stand-ups, no knees to head downed opponents, no knees the opponent on knee shooting for take down, boos for ground fighting.

Hell, the UFC is headlining a former pro wrestler.

Not that we need further evidence of Kimbo’s lack of understanding of how to defend on the ground… BUT I’m watching the fight again tonight with roommates who didn’t see it live. At around 3:00 in the first round when Thompson has Kimbo on his (full mount) you can clearly see Kimbo grab onto Thompson’s right ear and begin twisting it… I guess that’s not a ‘small joint’ manipulation, but still just more evidence that Kimbo’s strategy was just to target that from the outset.

I really feel like Elite XC had Thompson go into this fight without draining his ear as an ‘out’ for Kimbo if the fight wasn’t going his way (which is wasn’t…)

How does your ear “explode”?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
How does your ear “explode”?[/quote]

Pretty common in combat sports. I forget the one boxing match from a few years ago on EPSN Friday Night Fights, but the guys ear literally “exploded” and the cartilage went everywhere in the corner of the ring.

I think slice and the English guy should both work on their BJJ because thompson could have got full mount about 4 times in that fight and probably finish it. I think a blue belt had more knowledge of the ground game then those 2 combined.

Slice how some strong stand up but take him to the ground and he is done. O and the stoppage was way too early, it just shows how some great marketing over the Internet can earn you 175K and ESPN cover but some guys in the UFC aren’t making that.

[quote]roc wrote:
I think slice and the English guy should both work on their BJJ because thompson could have got full mount about 4 times in that fight and probably finish it. I think a blue belt had more knowledge of the ground game then those 2 combined.
[/quote]

Haha, what about when Thompson was fishing around for that Americana from side control in the second…it looked like he’d seen it on TV and then decided to try it out…the whole time I was like “WTF are you doing?”

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
blazindave wrote:

Pretty common in combat sports. I forget the one boxing match from a few years ago on EPSN Friday Night Fights, but the guys ear literally “exploded” and the cartilage went everywhere in the corner of the ring. [/quote]

But the ear is just cartilege. How does this work?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
blazindave wrote:

Pretty common in combat sports. I forget the one boxing match from a few years ago on EPSN Friday Night Fights, but the guys ear literally “exploded” and the cartilage went everywhere in the corner of the ring.

But the ear is just cartilege. How does this work?[/quote]

Cauliflower ear:

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
blazindave wrote:

But the ear is just cartilege. How does this work?[/quote]

Take a look at Thompson’s left ear. The fluid build up in it from so many prior strikes (early stages of cauliflower ear, pre-fibrous buildup) had reached a point where it was bound to “explode.” Which is exactly what happened in the 3rd round.

Here’s the final round. About 20 seconds into the round Thompson takes a hit causing the ear to literally burst.

[quote]Ogre73 wrote:
Not that we need further evidence of Kimbo’s lack of understanding of how to defend on the ground… BUT I’m watching the fight again tonight with roommates who didn’t see it live. At around 3:00 in the first round when Thompson has Kimbo on his (full mount) you can clearly see Kimbo grab onto Thompson’s right ear and begin twisting it… I guess that’s not a ‘small joint’ manipulation, but still just more evidence that Kimbo’s strategy was just to target that from the outset.

I really feel like Elite XC had Thompson go into this fight without draining his ear as an ‘out’ for Kimbo if the fight wasn’t going his way (which is wasn’t…)[/quote]

He also grabbed his ear and pulled it after the punch at the end. I am not sure if it was the punch or the tug that made his ear pop but Kimbo was trying to do it.

[quote]danew wrote:
I thought the show was not very good. There were two good fights. Gina Carano’s fight was awesome. That was some very nice Muay Thai by both people. Gina’s push kick, or teep if you prefer, was outstanding. However, for being the best fight of the night, it was marred by the fact that Gina did not make weight for like the 4th fucking time. Get serious. Lawler’s fight was also good, but it was ruined by a puzzling stoppage. Looking at Smith’s eye during close-ups, there wasn’t a lot of redness in the sclera, he was able to move it around just fine and it was not swelling. I dunno why they stopped that.

On to Kimbo. The one thing that pisses me off more than anything is when my sport is made into a sideshow joke. I think the woman’s fight was not a joke at all, they were trained fighters and fought well. Kimbo and Thompson…no. Now, it isn’t that they were worthless fighters, or that they didn’t fight hard, or that they weren’t even somewhat skilled, but that stoppage was completely bogus. I have not seen a more obvious example of an org wanting a certain fighter to win. It would’ve been bad for ratings had Kimbo lost, and that was simply not going to happen if EliteXc could help it. Now, I’m not into hating on Kimbo as a fighter. It’s true that most top 25 heavyweights would dispatch of him in a round or two. Especially guys like Jake O’Brien who could take him down at will and hold him there. But he has had three fights. At three fights, he’s fighting guys he should be fighting. So this fiasco isn’t really his fault. But shame on EliteXC for taking MMA’s opportunity to shine on network TV and making it look like a sure fixed fight. Thank you for the WWE comparisions.[/quote]

Great analysis. Nothing more to say.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
blazindave wrote:

Pretty common in combat sports. I forget the one boxing match from a few years ago on EPSN Friday Night Fights, but the guys ear literally “exploded” and the cartilage went everywhere in the corner of the ring. [/quote]

I remember that. At the end of the fight when the fighters were congratulating each other the inside of the dudes ear was flopping around as he shook his head. It was one of the grossest/coolest things I’ve ever seen. Do you remember who it was?

It’s all about ratings, face it MMA is no longer the hardcore underground sport it used to be.

It’s really not kimbos fault at all, not his fault he isn’t a top competitor, hell he was homeless before now just got his big shot.

Everything about this fight was set up for ratings, I mean they didn’t even drain the guys ear of fluid before the fight expecting kimbo to blow it up. And well you talked about the horrible calls from the refs.

[quote]slimjim wrote:
roc wrote:

Haha, what about when Thompson was fishing around for that Americana from side control in the second…it looked like he’d seen it on TV and then decided to try it out…the whole time I was like “WTF are you doing?”[/quote]

I was laughing my ass of too with the great display of BJJ. Once I seen Kimbo’s retarded attempt at a keylock from the wrong side I knew what was expected. Actually any time I see people go for keylocks I chuckle, it reminds me of big man BJJ.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
blazindave wrote:

I remember that. At the end of the fight when the fighters were congratulating each other the inside of the dudes ear was flopping around as he shook his head. It was one of the grossest/coolest things I’ve ever seen. Do you remember who it was? [/quote]

No I don’t, if I dig later I’m sure I can find the video. It was horrifying. I remember the inside of ear lobe hanging down his neck during the post fight.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
blazindave wrote:

I remember that. At the end of the fight when the fighters were congratulating each other the inside of the dudes ear was flopping around as he shook his head. It was one of the grossest/coolest things I’ve ever seen. Do you remember who it was?

No I don’t, if I dig later I’m sure I can find the video. It was horrifying. I remember the inside of ear lobe hanging down his neck during the post fight.[/quote]

Are you guys referring to Margarito vs Lujan?

YESSS!!! Nice work. Check it out around 6 minutes.

[quote]Shammy wrote:

BS made the whole thing looked fixed.[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. I would not be surprised at all if indeed it was fixed.

Shameful, especially when people hate on boxing all the time for the same shit. Well, MMA, you’re on your way to a similar fate, just with more white guys.