Kimbo's Cauliflower Bail Out

Anyone else think that stoppagae was ridiculous, especially given the fact that Kimbo took 30 seconds straight of elbow blows, undefended with his arm pinned the round before? Thompson was rocked, but as he proved the previous round, he is capable of rebounding with a clinch and moving the fight forward

Yeah, might’ve been a bit premature, but Thompson was pretty much out on his feet at that point. That ear popping was nasty, but can’t blame Kimbo for hitting it. Guys that have cauliflower ears know that’s a potential risk.

Still, Kimbo was very much exposed in this fight and is nowhere near ready for a serious opponent.

That ref was horrible, by the way. Why the hell did he stand them up in the 2nd round when Thompson was IN SIDE CONTROL!!! He then threatened to stand them up later in the round when Thompson had Kimbo’s arm trapped and was throwing unanswered elbows to Kimbo’s skull. I know Kimbo’s the gravy-train, but that was ridiculous.

Gus Johnson was hilarious on commentary. Yelling at Kimbo for not knowing basic jiu-jitsu and asking where his hip escape was, that was awesome.

The stoppage in the Smith-Lawler fight was also bogus. That was a really good fight and shouldn’t have been called off.

You can keep going if your ear ‘explodes,’ I’ve had it happen in a match when a guy had me in a triangle. Thompson’s was a bit worse than the usual, but he would’ve been okay to carry out the fight. I’m surprised he didn’t drain that sucker before the fight.

It was bullshit to the max, and the obvious favoritism exhibited over the course of the fight was shameful. I will probably never support an Elite XC ppv as a result of this fight alone.

Apparently one ref scored the second round 10-9 for Slice…what fight was he watching?

I can’t believe the ref didn’t give Thompson the TKO late in the second when “HOME SLICE” couldn’t defend himself. The win would have been given to him in a UFC fight. I kept thinking that this crap was fixed. There was one point in the first round that were Thompson had side control and I swear he let Slice escape.

premature stoppage but shit happens fast in a fight. im pretty sure kimbo wouldve finished off james if it continued. thompson looked like he was about to ass out.

and anyone catch thompson punch the ref in the face? lol

Well, if one thing was proven with this fight, it’s that you put Kimbo onto the mat and take it beyond the first round and he’s in trouble. A skilled MMA ground fighter (Feydor) would dismantle Kimbo.

I can understand how Kimbo could gas so easily in those older internet fights, because he clearly wasn’t making conditioning a priority, but you’d think after training with Bas that his overall stamina would improve. He needs to lay off the upper body, work his sprawl heavily to avoid the ground and up the cardio, big time.

I think it’s pretty well agreed that Kimbo could find good success with the Liddell school of MMA sprawl and brawl, only it’ll take a few years for his package to reach that level (if ever).

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Apparently one ref scored the second round 10-9 for Slice…what fight was he watching?[/quote]

You have to be shitting me…

[quote]slimjim wrote:
Apparently one ref scored the second round 10-9 for Slice…what fight was he watching?[/quote]

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?

I don’t care how biased you are, there’s no way in hell anyone could’ve given Slice Round 2.

Only watched the 3rd round off youtube - YouTube

Most bullshit stop I’ve ever seen

You’d think as PRIDE’s official jobber to the stars, Thompson would have learned how to make his opponent look good while not embarassing them.
His punishment should be a rematch with Aleksandr Emelianenko.

The whole fight was such a painful joke to watch. I was sick to my stomach when it was all over.

Great job elitexc, feel free to sleep with my girlfriend, cut my brake lines, strangle my dog, and ruin everything else that I love.

[quote]forkknifespoon wrote:
The whole fight was such a painful joke to watch. I was sick to my stomach when it was all over.

Great job elitexc, feel free to sleep with my girlfriend, cut my brake lines, strangle my dog, and ruin everything else that I love. [/quote]

They wouldn’t be able to ruin the sport by themselves if they wanted to. The way I see it, the whole thing was simply an issue of catering to popular demand.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
They wouldn’t be able to ruin the sport by themselves if they wanted to. The way I see it, the whole thing was simply an issue of catering to popular demand. [/quote]

Which is ruining the sport the way i see it, and it’s not just elitexc. there area lot of bad things going on in the MMA world from my perspective. I’m kind of wondering if after a while it will start to die off and people will see it as a pretty cliche market, and the only people who will still be doing it are the same guys who were doing it before.

Anyway, I watched the fight with my dog, jack, and every time I was getting frustrated I’d yell and Jack would get upset. This spike in my own and Jack’s cortisol levels is simply unacceptable.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
You’d think as PRIDE’s official jobber to the stars, Thompson would have learned how to make his opponent look good while not embarassing them.
His punishment should be a rematch with Aleksandr Emelianenko.[/quote]

ha hah hahahaha

clever

what a mean ass punishment

The Lawler fight should not have been stopped, and if the Kimbo fight was to be stopped it should have happened when Kimbo could not defend himself for more than a minute while Thompson rained elbows on him.

BS made the whole thing looked fixed.

[quote]Ogre73 wrote:
Well, if one thing was proven with this fight, it’s that you put Kimbo onto the mat and take it beyond the first round and he’s in trouble. A skilled MMA ground fighter (Feydor) would dismantle Kimbo.

I can understand how Kimbo could gas so easily in those older internet fights, because he clearly wasn’t making conditioning a priority, but you’d think after training with Bas that his overall stamina would improve. He needs to lay off the upper body, work his sprawl heavily to avoid the ground and up the cardio, big time. I think it’s pretty well agreed that Kimbo could find good success with the Liddell school of MMA sprawl and brawl, only it’ll take a few years for his package to reach that level (if ever).[/quote]

you are a fuckin tool. if a genie granted me a wish, id wish to see you try to fight and wrestle a 6’5 265lbs trained fighter for 3 rounds.

I thought the show was not very good. There were two good fights. Gina Carano’s fight was awesome. That was some very nice Muay Thai by both people. Gina’s push kick, or teep if you prefer, was outstanding. However, for being the best fight of the night, it was marred by the fact that Gina did not make weight for like the 4th fucking time. Get serious. Lawler’s fight was also good, but it was ruined by a puzzling stoppage. Looking at Smith’s eye during close-ups, there wasn’t a lot of redness in the sclera, he was able to move it around just fine and it was not swelling. I dunno why they stopped that.

On to Kimbo. The one thing that pisses me off more than anything is when my sport is made into a sideshow joke. I think the woman’s fight was not a joke at all, they were trained fighters and fought well. Kimbo and Thompson…no. Now, it isn’t that they were worthless fighters, or that they didn’t fight hard, or that they weren’t even somewhat skilled, but that stoppage was completely bogus. I have not seen a more obvious example of an org wanting a certain fighter to win. It would’ve been bad for ratings had Kimbo lost, and that was simply not going to happen if EliteXc could help it. Now, I’m not into hating on Kimbo as a fighter. It’s true that most top 25 heavyweights would dispatch of him in a round or two. Especially guys like Jake O’Brien who could take him down at will and hold him there. But he has had three fights. At three fights, he’s fighting guys he should be fighting. So this fiasco isn’t really his fault. But shame on EliteXC for taking MMA’s opportunity to shine on network TV and making it look like a sure fixed fight. Thank you for the WWE comparisions.

MMA Junkie gave one round to “Kimbo.”

Round 2 - Thompson looks for the early takedown, but Slice shake sit off and then goes on the attack. An uppercut stuns Thompson, and after failing on a takedown attempt, he’s tagged again. Now clinched, Thompson lands two solid knees to the head, but Slice shakes it off. A scramble gives Slice the guillotine choke, but Thompson escapes and lands in sidemount. Thompson delivers short punches and some quick elbows, and after a lull in the action, they’re restarted on their feet. Slice catches his opponent with a left that wobbles Thompson, and sunsequent jabs and a flurry of punches has Thompson staggering. Slice secures a guillotine as the fight again hits the mat. Thompson again escapes and works from half-guard. Pinned against the fence, Slice eats short punch after short punches. Thompson pins down an arm with a knee and continues the assault with punches and elbows. Kimbo signals he’s OK. Thompson reclaims the dominant position and continues the assault of short but precise punches. Hard to tell if they’re doing much damage. The round closes with Thompson throwing those same elbows and punches. It’s again close, but MMAjunkie.com gives it to Slice on overall damage.

You can say that MMA Junkie is a moron. But there is no pro-Kimbo bias there.

Judges score fights differently. (Shocker.)