Kimbo vs Mercer Video

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=5785493826168903425&q=kimbo+vs+mercer&total=54&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5

[quote]Jason32 wrote:
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=5785493826168903425&q=kimbo+vs+mercer&total=54&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=5 [/quote]

yeah I know that was against an aging former heavyweight…yeah i know its his first fight…but that was still impressive considering how much kimbo learned in a relatively short amount of time.

seen that comming

Kudos to Kimbo for playing it smart and not trying to prove he could outbox Mercer. He obviously took to heart to what to his trainers have been teaching him.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Kudos to Kimbo for playing it smart and not trying to prove he could outbox Mercer. He obviously took to heart to what to his trainers have been teaching him.[/quote]

Agreed.

I’ll admit I thought Kimbo would try to stand with him. He did well to listen to his trainers and obviously put in the effort, good for him.

Just once I would like to see him get a decent ass kicking. Is that too much to ask?

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Yea…he really beat the crap out that 48 year old former boxer.

I wonder what that means?[/quote]

It means that Slice trained hard for an MMA bout, kneed and choked his opponent, Mercer, until he tapped.

:slight_smile:

great fight by Kimbo. I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t amazed at his newfound MMA skills. If he does everything Bas tells him, which he will, Kimbo will be a contender.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
Yea…he really beat the crap out that 48 year old former boxer.

I wonder what that means?[/quote]

I believe Ray Mercer is 46. I love how Kimbo can’t get a break with quite a few people. When this first match was announced the majority of people said that Kimbo would get destroyed and could never possible learn discipline and mixed-martial arts at any caliber.

Now that Kimbo one this fight, people are quick to now switch from off the bandwagon and declare it a pointless match because Ray Mercer is far past his prime et cetera. Why not give Kimbo the time to get a few fights under his belt, hell it took Bas training and putting in positive comments (I see the definite point and need) to pass Kimbo off to hardcore MMA fans. Look at most of the initial posts in the Kimbo vs. Mercer many were given this fight to Mercer even despite his out of shapeness, his history of taking “freak show” fights such as kickboxing et cetera and getting schooled

Good clinching and ground game submission techniques I hope to see it on an opponent that has the mind, body and heart to fight.

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:

When this first match was announced the majority of people said that Kimbo would get destroyed and could never possible learn discipline and mixed-martial arts at any caliber.
[/quote]

Bullfeces.

I know a bunch of people (myself included) said Kimbo would get tooled if he was dumb enough to box with Mercer. I never heard anyone claim that (1) he was incapable of learning MMA skills or (2) that he was incapable of beating Mercer in a clinch/ground fight.

I still believe Kimbo would get wrecked by Mercer in a boxing match but, to his credit, he came prepared for an MMA fight and beat down Mercer with a superior clinch and ground game. Kudos to Kimbo for taking the time to learn new skills and having the smarts to put them to use.

sorry,

so kimbo fights a c-rate (but trained, granted) MMA fighter(gannon) and fixes the rules to make it a bare knuckle boxing match.

he now fights an aging over the hill (but former heavyweight champion, granted)but makes sure it is a mma rules with ground fighting and knees.

now before the 17-25 year old internet warriors start yelling “hater”, i respect that kimbo is a tough, physical specimen, who can knock other grown men unconscious with his bare hands in a fair fight.

but as a big fan of the fight game for over 35 years(mother is cuban, a rabid boxing fan, been watching fights since i was in diapers, lol) he has a long way to go before he is more than a semi-entertaining spectacle to me.

good luck to him anyway, and if he continues to train hard and get good coaching, who knows?

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
he has a long way to go before he is more than a semi-entertaining spectacle to me.

[/quote]

I don’t think anyone with a fully functioning brain is claiming that he is anything more than a promising novice.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
heavythrower wrote:
he has a long way to go before he is more than a semi-entertaining spectacle to me.

I don’t think anyone with a fully functioning brain is claiming that he is anything more than a promising novice.[/quote]

Why a novice? He’s been in tons of fights and trains vigorously. What can be a greater achievement after a spectacular victory on the first bout?

I was one of the people that said he would get slammed but now I admit that I was dead wrong and that he definitely has greater will and potential.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
EmperialChina wrote:

When this first match was announced the majority of people said that Kimbo would get destroyed and could never possible learn discipline and mixed-martial arts at any caliber.

Bullfeces.

I know a bunch of people (myself included) said Kimbo would get tooled if he was dumb enough to box with Mercer. I never heard anyone claim that (1) he was incapable of learning MMA skills or (2) that he was incapable of beating Mercer in a clinch/ground fight.[/quote]

Yeah, maybe not on this forum, but elsewhere on the interweb there are a lot more idiots (scary thought huh?).

[quote]oboffill wrote:
great fight by Kimbo. I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t amazed at his newfound MMA skills. If he does everything Bas tells him, which he will, Kimbo will be a contender. [/quote]

He has a long way to go.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Bullfeces.

I know a bunch of people (myself included) said Kimbo would get tooled if he was dumb enough to box with Mercer. I never heard anyone claim that (1) he was incapable of learning MMA skills or (2) that he was incapable of beating Mercer in a clinch/ground fight.

I still believe Kimbo would get wrecked by Mercer in a boxing match but, to his credit, he came prepared for an MMA fight and beat down Mercer with a superior clinch and ground game. Kudos to Kimbo for taking the time to learn new skills and having the smarts to put them to use.[/quote]

I disagree, during their stand-up exchange before and after the clinch and takedown did you see Mercer land one impressive shot? Did you see Mercer land a shot? Kimbo had a pretty nice striking combo going on Mercer though…

I just found it funny before the results of this bout I rarely heard any comments about Mercer’s age and conditioning/mental state, I heard tons of comments about how devastating Mercer was going to be even from some of those who obviously are not familiar with Mercer or much of MMA/boxing in general.

I am also not saying I think Kimbo is the next MMA prodigy but I am not silencing him out and passing judgment based on personal conjecture and “feelings”. Of all the recent newcomers to MMA from different “lifestyles” like Brock Lesnar, Johnny Morton, Kimbo’s debut did come off impressive and the transitioning times were good too. The double leg lock during his guillotine submission was nice to see, instead of his frantic rough street fighting style.

I’m not a huge MMA fan but I really like Kimbo, and I watched all his internet fights. He’s a tough ass dude and real athletic (I love his foot base and how low he keeps his hips in his street fights), and even though I didn’t think he could immediately jump into any MMA fight, I think he’s just about as good a protege for a guy like Bas to have, even if he is over 30.

He seems to me like a guy who’s really willing to listen and learn because he takes the fight game seriously. I think if he can manage to keep the downsliding that age brings to a minimal he can be a good, solid MMA fighter, I don’t know about elite though, but you never know.

[quote]Majin wrote:

Why a novice? He’s been in tons of fights and trains vigorously. [/quote]

nov?ice [nov-is]
?noun

1. a person who is new to the circumstances, work, etc., in which he or she is placed; beginner; tyro: a novice in politics.

Why a novice? Because he only has one fight under MMA rules.

Roger Gracie is one of the most decorated grapplers in the world, but I still consider him a novice in MMA because he only has one fight under MMA rules. Karam Ibrahim is an olympic gold medalist greco-roman wrestler, but I still consider him a novice because he only has one fight under MMA rules.

There is nothing wrong with being a novice. It just means you are inexperienced.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
Roger Gracie is one of the most decorated grapplers in the world, but I still consider him a novice in MMA because he only has one fight under MMA rules. [/quote]

WTF??!!

What was that one fight that was under MMA rules?

:slight_smile: