T Nation

Kimbo Slice vs. Roy Nelson Video - TUF 10 Episode 3

http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/kimbo-slice-vs-roy-nelson-video-tuf-10-episode-3/

Saw it tonight… take kimbo down the to the ground and its over…

that was a stupid-ass fight man…i know he won n all…but damn those punches that stopped the fight were just brutal…kimbo defiantely has a lot of obvious things to work on…even in the standup game (kicking, clinch)
Oh well…anwayys love how the show ended that Kimbo will fight again.
haha I swear that was a HUGE set-up and kimbo will come back with a win…its all a plot! lol

TUF is complete trash…

i respect kimbo a ton, but its so obvious he will never have a ground game… he did ok on his feet, but even then, a skilled striker is taking him out… he is pretty stiff.

i hate how dana was trying to hype up the show, saying “will kimbo be back” etc… he takes us all for retards… he’s hyping UFC like its WWE.

mma = mixed martial arts

mma does not equate to WWE tactics and a bunch of TUF hype b.s.

i honestly hope this collapses TUF… a reality show following proven fighters training/preparation for fights would be much better… that way we don’t have to see this Wes Shivers / NFL noob bullshit.

/rant ;d

[quote]adarqui wrote:
TUF is complete trash…

i respect kimbo a ton, but its so obvious he will never have a ground game… he did ok on his feet, but even then, a skilled striker is taking him out… he is pretty stiff.

i hate how dana was trying to hype up the show, saying “will kimbo be back” etc… he takes us all for retards… he’s hyping UFC like its WWE.

mma = mixed martial arts

mma does not equate to WWE tactics and a bunch of TUF hype b.s.

i honestly hope this collapses TUF… a reality show following proven fighters training/preparation for fights would be much better… that way we don’t have to see this Wes Shivers / NFL noob bullshit.

/rant ;d[/quote]

Don’t watch it. Problem solved.

There’s always The Contender…and even better(wink)…Contender Asia. :wink:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
adarqui wrote:
TUF is complete trash…

i respect kimbo a ton, but its so obvious he will never have a ground game… he did ok on his feet, but even then, a skilled striker is taking him out… he is pretty stiff.

i hate how dana was trying to hype up the show, saying “will kimbo be back” etc… he takes us all for retards… he’s hyping UFC like its WWE.

mma = mixed martial arts

mma does not equate to WWE tactics and a bunch of TUF hype b.s.

i honestly hope this collapses TUF… a reality show following proven fighters training/preparation for fights would be much better… that way we don’t have to see this Wes Shivers / NFL noob bullshit.

/rant ;d

Don’t watch it. Problem solved.

There’s always The Contender…and even better(wink)…Contender Asia. ;-)[/quote]

i havn’t watched since season 1… :wink:

i did watch this one because of the kimbo shit… i feel liek a sucker.

peace

Kimbo was made to look like a beginner on the ground, it seems that his training thus far has been for nought. Getting limbs pinned and punched short for half a minute at a time is a horrid way to lose. To be honest Rashad put one of the strongest against one of the weakest, it could have only turned out this way.

[quote]Wayland wrote:
Kimbo was made to look like a beginner on the ground, it seems that his training thus far has been for nought. Getting limbs pinned and punched short for half a minute at a time is a horrid way to lose. To be honest Rashad put one of the strongest against one of the weakest, it could have only turned out this way.[/quote]

He IS a beginner on the ground. Kimbo’s hips were completely flat, he wasn’t bridging or shrimping or anything

Roy was picked because Roy is AMAZING on the ground. I’m actually surprised that Roy didn’t completely destroy him, just plain make an example of him. Jump into his guard, then plain run threw it a few times.

If you want proof of Roy’s grappling ability, check out youtube for Roy vs Frank Mir.

The fight wasnt great buts thats to be expected with nelson’s skills vs kimbo. I would have liked to see kimbo fight a weaker guy in the show just to see how he would do in a back and forth battle. TUF did show Kimbo to be a likable guy. He will have a future in the UFC on there ultimate fight night cards.

Aside from his obvious inexperience and lack of ground skill i also see his size being a problem. 6’2 230 with no weight cut (ans some skinny legs) is a tough size to fight at in the UFC HW division. Especially as a brawler, those guys ussually need to be big and strong for the weight class in order to get wins (houston alexander)

Part of me understands the whole “do just enough to win the fight, and don’t let Kimbo cave in your face” and part of me wants to see a better exhibition of skills by both fighters. But how can you justify not stopping the fight after 20-30 seconds of unanswered blows to the head in that position? Dana has said in the past it is all about getting to the next fight. Dana seemed more pissed by Roy’s overaction after the fight with all the Burger King lines.

My new favorite Rampage quote: “How you gonna get the moon off ya?” Hilarious

Kevin Nash=Big Sexy is to Marcus Jones=Big Sensitive!

Roy Nelson, one of the strongest? You cant be serious. Have you seen any of his other fights. Arlovski put him on his arse.

Nelson sucks and will lose against a more experienced fighter.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
Roy Nelson, one of the strongest? You cant be serious. Have you seen any of his other fights. Arlovski put him on his arse.

Nelson sucks and will lose against a more experienced fighter. [/quote]

That fight was tainted. Roy Nelson is in side control working on a kimura when the fight is stood up.

[quote]admbaum wrote:
Roy Nelson, one of the strongest? You cant be serious. Have you seen any of his other fights. Arlovski put him on his arse.

Nelson sucks and will lose against a more experienced fighter. [/quote]

YOU can’t be serious. Is that the only fight of his that you’ve seen? I almost have to question if you even watched this fight…as Nelson dominated Arlovski on the ground.

I wasn’t impressed with Nelson at all. And I think Kimbo had a poor showing for several reasons: He was just plain NERVOUS! He seemed a little too over cautious with his stand up. Probably too worried to let the punches fly and risk getting taken down.

He just seemed stiff and unsure but this is not surprising as he a ton of pressure on him - his first real MMA fight, getting bombarded with advice prior to the fight. He was just thinking too much. I think after he gets a few more fights under his belt, he’ll loosen up and feel more confident about just coming out and banging. Of course his ground game is a whole other ball of wax.

[quote]acantare wrote:
The fight wasnt great buts thats to be expected with nelson’s skills vs kimbo. I would have liked to see kimbo fight a weaker guy in the show just to see how he would do in a back and forth battle. TUF did show Kimbo to be a likable guy. He will have a future in the UFC on there ultimate fight night cards.

Aside from his obvious inexperience and lack of ground skill i also see his size being a problem. 6’2 230 with no weight cut (ans some skinny legs) is a tough size to fight at in the UFC HW division. Especially as a brawler, those guys ussually need to be big and strong for the weight class in order to get wins (houston alexander)

[/quote]

You would like to see Kimbo fight a weaker guy? Funny, isn’t that what he did in ALL his backyard fighting videos? The guy is an overhyped fighter, loved by high-school kids everywhere

The fight was soooo boring.

“You would like to see Kimbo fight a weaker guy? Funny, isn’t that what he did in ALL his backyard fighting videos? The guy is an overhyped fighter, loved by high-school kids everywhere”

im not a kimbo fan, just for the sake of entertainment i would have rather not seen him fight nelson, except for a couple of the guys who where wrestlers the rest of the TUF cast would have given kimbo a chance to stand up and throw. Kimbo is a D level fighter, Nelson is a B level, most of the guys on the show are somewhere in kimbos range and wont make the UFC but could have made for entertaining TUF fights.

I will say that I thought Kimbo’s striking looked improved from his previous fights. Looks like he’s learning a little something from Rampage; he was staying in the pocket more and not just swinging wildly. He landed some good shots, too, but that attempt at a knee strike in the 2nd round was a terrible decision.

Roy did what he had to do. I think he could’ve submitted Kimbo but he didn’t want to. Heck, he gave up full mount just so he could crucifix Kimbo’s arm and punch on his head. Granted, those punches weren’t powerful but they were still getting through clean and Kimbo was doing nothing to stop it.

I know Dana doesn’t like Roy because of his big belly but the man is a talented fighter. That stand-up against Arlovski was such BS. Never, ever seen that before in an MMA fight where a guy has side control and is getting ready to attempt a sub that the fight is stood back up. Crazy shit they did at Elite.

I hope Kimbo does find his way at ATT and actually learns the basics of jiu-jitsu. It’s clear he’ll never be a black belt but he can at least get to the point to where he understands where he is on the ground and how to stay out of danger. Working on his conditioning and takedown defense is also vital for him.

Another thing to consider for Kimbo could be moving down to LHW. He weighed in at 230 last night for the fight with Roy. He’s going to give up a lot of size to most HW’s and the ones, like Roy, that know what they are doing on the ground, will exploit Kimbo every time. If Kimbo could make 205, he’d stand a better chance at success, imo.

For everyone that was hating on Roy Nelson I just have to ask wtf is your problem? He went in and completely toyed with Kimbo. Why in the world should he have fucked Kimbo’s shit up when he can just show everyone that he is the man while saving Kimbo’s face from complete annihilation. He’s even stated that he likes Kimbo so what’s the point of severely injuring the guy after your run a clinic on him? If anything people should applaud his restraint because I can’t imagine how hard it was to overcome his instincts to throw some life-ending elbows from the crucifix.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
For everyone that was hating on Roy Nelson I just have to ask wtf is your problem? He went in and completely toyed with Kimbo. Why in the world should he have fucked Kimbo’s shit up when he can just show everyone that he is the man while saving Kimbo’s face from complete annihilation. He’s even stated that he likes Kimbo so what’s the point of severely injuring the guy after your run a clinic on him? If anything people should applaud his restraint because I can’t imagine how hard it was to overcome his instincts to throw some life-ending elbows from the crucifix.
[/quote]

i dont know about all of this. A fight is a fight and you go into 100% no matter what. do you think kimbo would’ve taken it easy hell no he’d knock Roy out. I think Roy was the better fighter of course and his control ofthe fight from the time they clinched showed that but i dont think how he finished the fight was the best idea. Considering Dana White only keeps exciting showman fighters in the ufc and seeing from this show that roy is interested in money. I would be putting everything out there if i was planning on staying in the ufc.