T Nation

Killing Night Time Hunger Tips?

I have a problem i do good all through the day but after a good cardio session all hell breaks loose i get a hole in my stomach i try to eat a salad and a low cal snack but that is not enough i tried milk and downing gobs of water that does not help either how do you get rid of hunger after cardio and killing the night time munchies

thanks

Do you eat sugar, wheat, oats, beans?

I woke up hungry every night. It stopped immediately when I:

Eliminated all added sugar, wheat, oats, beans
and kept my daily carbs under 200 grams a day, but not below 100 (Plus carbs for training).

It really seemed to help to have a big baked potato with 2 tablespoons of butter, salt and half a teaspoon of vinegar around 5 pm. A 12 oz baked potato is about 60 grams of carbs.

Pickled jalapeno. If you can handle the heat, they will kill and appetite fast; added bonus is that you will drink 32oz of water to try to cool the ?heat?. Low calorie appetite killer!!

1.Take a big handful of lettuce and wrap it up in a big, thin slice of turkey/ham/cold cut of your choice. eat.
2. Go to sleep before your stomach realises you’ve pulled the “Trojan horse” trick.

My secrete is to eat a pound or so of beef plus a bunch of other stuff before bed. And if I get hungry again, I eat more.

The more calories you burn, the hungrier you will get. Volume tricks are very temporary and do not fool your bodies hunger control mechanisms. If you delude a rat’s food to 50% of the calories per volume they will eat exactly twice as much volume.

Dieting like that is not remotely sustainable long term.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
Do you eat sugar, wheat, oats, beans?

I woke up hungry every night. It stopped immediately when I:

Eliminated all added sugar, wheat, oats, beans
and kept my daily carbs under 200 grams a day, but not below 100 (Plus carbs for training).

It really seemed to help to have a big baked potato with 2 tablespoons of butter, salt and half a teaspoon of vinegar around 5 pm. A 12 oz baked potato is about 60 grams of carbs.

[/quote]

i dont eat sugar i eat allot of wheat bread though

thanks for the tips guys i think i will try jalepenos lol

Metamucil. The fibre fills you up at night. Be warned though, it does the exact opposite the next morning. The sugar free orange flavour is pretty good.

Have you tried a protein with micellar casein, like our Metabolic Drive?

The whey component is absorbed quickly, but the micellar casein assumes a nice, filling, porridge-like consistency in your stomach.

Drink it, or mix it with a little instant sugar-free Jell-o pudding mix and make a high protein pudding.

Is eating more throughout the day out of the question?

I really like Quest Bars.

High protein, fat, fibre and about ~200 cals.

3-8g net carbs 1g sugar.

One of my favourites during a diet when macros need to be kept in check.

Why not save more of your food intake for night time? Then you can eat at night with no issue. Or, if the cardio seems to be the stimulus that triggers your hunger, reduce or eliminate the cardio. After all, I’m assuming you’re doing it with fat loss/management in mind, and if it’s causing you to consume more calories than you otherwise would, it defeats the purpose and you’d be better off creating a deficit through diet and a hard training program

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
Why not save more of your food intake for night time? Then you can eat at night with no issue. [/quote]
This.

When Im cutting I “prefer” to be more hungry in the morning than at night time, so maybe try skipping/post-poning your first meal of the day.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
3-8g net carbs 1g sugar.
[/quote]
I have tried these and they are good, although Im a bit skeptical regarding the actual macros and calories shown on the label.

tweet

Get a big jar of pickles from Costco. Eat a pickle or drink the pickle juice when hunger hits. Virtually calorie free.

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
3-8g net carbs 1g sugar.
[/quote]
I have tried these and they are good, although Im a bit skeptical regarding the actual macros and calories shown on the label.

tweet[/quote]
This. I can’t remember where I read it, but reports have indicated that the nutrition information for Quest bars is inaccurate. Also Arctic Zero ice cream can have up to 50% more calories than listed on the label, depending on the flavor

Green tea helps a lot. And I agree with leaving a decent part of you caloric intake for later in the day. I used to fast from 3pm to 9am and it worked great for fat loss but I stopped because hunger woke me up every single night.

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:
Why not save more of your food intake for night time? Then you can eat at night with no issue. [/quote]
This.

When Im cutting I “prefer” to be more hungry in the morning than at night time, so maybe try skipping/post-poning your first meal of the day.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
3-8g net carbs 1g sugar.
[/quote]

tweet[/quote]

Wowzers.

A quick google has lead me to a link saying they’re being sued for a misleading label. They understated cals by 20% and fibre by 75% allegedly

I like to grab a bannana and protein shake befor bed. I work shift work and the jobs are physical. Im constantly eating at work as well befor hand. A good protein shake also gets you your amino acids. I use to wake up hungry through out the night but not anymore. Best one I have used is phase 8 but I buy in big tubs.

natural peanut butter

I have an idea my father used to do this and it helps I am usually up with the stomach noises I do is put a slice of cheese a slice of tomatoe on a toasted multigrain bread with a glass of water or milk and calms the hunger till morning Hope that helps just try it.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

3-8g net carbs 1g sugar.

One of my favourites during a diet when macros need to be kept in check.
[/quote]

These bars are freaking great. Especially the cookies and cream. I’d rather have one of them that a regular candy bar any day.