KillerB521's 5/3/1 Training Log- 8 weeks out from first meet

you make benching look easy… How much do you think the reverse band work carries over?

Thanks! I hope you also enjoyed my beach like abs, haha. This cycle was my first time using the bands so I will have to let you know after my deload week. (last cycle I did 335 for pause single). Based on this cycle, I like the bands because I can overload my bench and shock my body. When I did normal bench after the pause singles today, the weight felt light, even the 345. But, we’ll just have to see.

Also, I watched your 405 deadlift attempt in your log. One thing I noticed (which I just noticed I did myself)is that your grip is wide. This grip makes you have to bend down more and creates a longer path for the lift. Next time try having your hands as close together has possible. This creates a shorter range of motion and also allows you to get into a more powerful position. I heard this in one of Mark Bell’s videos. I am doing this tomorrow so I will let you know how it works! haha

KEEP THAT ASS ON THE BENCH!

You come up like that in a meet, automatic red light.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[/quote]

Will do buddy. Like I wrote in the post, I normally never have an issue with that but when I bench in the power rack I can’t use the feet positioning I’m used to. Don’t worry, I was pissed at myself when I happened.

[quote]Killerb521 wrote:

[quote]Element_26 wrote:
Yeah, I’m planning on competing at the UK Open in mid-September. It’s usually a well run meet with a fair few novices there… It’ll be my third meet, and my first where I’m properly, fully gearwhored up. Looking forward to it, but I’m having to learn the hard way to use my gear and programme my training effectively with it![/quote]

Nice man! That sounds like a legit meet. My meet is in a golds gym, haha. What are your goals for the meet? Also, what weight class will you be competing in? Keep up the solid training. It looks like you’re doing good based off your log![/quote]

Cheers mate, much appreciated. I’ll be competing in the 110kg class (242lb) and am tentatively looking at 300/200/260 (660/440/572), although I’m put some more solid goals in place once I have my technique in the gear dialled in and know what I can expect out of it.

How about yourself? (Doesn’t matter where the first meet is. You’re competing, and that’s all that counts.)

EDIT: Just seen that you had a goal of 350+ on the bench, and you’ve just done 345 for a double, so you’re well on track for that one! What about the deadlift?

DEADLIFTS

Warmup

Deadlifts
3x5x135
3x225
2x315
5x375
3x425 (vod)
3(+2)x475 (awful set)
1x500 (wasn’t supposed to do this, but was too pissed not to)

MACHINE ROWS (elbows out)
5x10x100

LAT PULL DOWNS
10x100
10x120
2x10x140
10x120

Abs
2x25

20 min walking on treadmill

This was a mixed day. I felt awful going into the gym. My legs felt awful. I also switched up my form a lot which will take some getting used to.

After watching the vids, my ass is shooting straight up about halfway up. Son of a bitch! I really need to work on that. As you can see in vids, my starting position is much better than last week, but I need to figure out how to keep my ass down. Anyone have any suggestions???

On good note, 500 was most I ever pulled for a single. Looking forward to deload week.

[quote]Element_26 wrote:

[quote]Killerb521 wrote:

[quote]Element_26 wrote:
Yeah, I’m planning on competing at the UK Open in mid-September. It’s usually a well run meet with a fair few novices there… It’ll be my third meet, and my first where I’m properly, fully gearwhored up. Looking forward to it, but I’m having to learn the hard way to use my gear and programme my training effectively with it![/quote]

Nice man! That sounds like a legit meet. My meet is in a golds gym, haha. What are your goals for the meet? Also, what weight class will you be competing in? Keep up the solid training. It looks like you’re doing good based off your log![/quote]

Cheers mate, much appreciated. I’ll be competing in the 110kg class (242lb) and am tentatively looking at 300/200/260 (660/440/572), although I’m put some more solid goals in place once I have my technique in the gear dialled in and know what I can expect out of it.

How about yourself? (Doesn’t matter where the first meet is. You’re competing, and that’s all that counts.)

EDIT: Just seen that you had a goal of 350+ on the bench, and you’ve just done 345 for a double, so you’re well on track for that one! What about the deadlift?
[/quote]

Those are some pretty legit goals. I hope you get all of them. Is the 660 for squat or dead?

Yea, bench is looking good. I think I may be able to pause bench 350 right now so I’m pumped about that. For deadlift, I would like 525-550. I just hit 500 today for a single which is the most I’v ever done for a single.

On that note, would you mind looking at my vids from today because my ass is shooting straight up about halfway up the lift which is making it super difficult at top. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Strong deadlift man! I watched my video’s again and I see what you were talking about with the grip being wide going to change that pronto.

[quote]Killerb521 wrote:

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:

[/quote]

Will do buddy. Like I wrote in the post, I normally never have an issue with that but when I bench in the power rack I can’t use the feet positioning I’m used to. Don’t worry, I was pissed at myself when I happened. [/quote]

Solid.

Thanks for the tip I hit 430 today!

[quote]elmore18 wrote:
Thanks for the tip I hit 430 today![/quote]

Anytime. Your lift looked easy! Load up those plates!

There’s a video of Mark Rippetoe instructing how to DL. A few small technique changes after I watched his video and starting applying has helped me become more explosive lately on the DL. Just youtube him and the DL and you should see what I am talking about.

As others have said, just make sure you keep ass down as much as possible, poke chest out.

[quote]SergeantQ wrote:
There’s a video of Mark Rippetoe instructing how to DL. A few small technique changes after I watched his video and starting applying has helped me become more explosive lately on the DL. Just youtube him and the DL and you should see what I am talking about.

As others have said, just make sure you keep ass down as much as possible, poke chest out. [/quote]

Thanks man. Appreciate the help. After watching my vids and doing some research, the bar was way too close to my shins when I started. Need to move out a little more and I think that will allow me to keep my shoulders behind the bar.

Thanks for stopping in!

MIL PRESSIN’

Warmup and Stretching

STANDING MIL PRESS

3x5x45
5x95
3x135
5x165
3x185
5( 4)x205 (vid)

SITTING DB MIL PRESS
10x60
10x70
3x10x60

BENT OVER DB RAISES
5x10x15

CHINS/PULLS (assisted)
6x6

Can feel the effects of heavy bench and deadlift. My body felt like it was hit by a metaphorical truck. Pushed through the workout. Standing mil press felt really hard, but had a decent last set. Good thing I don’t have to squat tomorrow…oh wait…

On another note, ordered some sweet EFS short bands for dynamic effort bench and deadlift for next cycle. I’m pretty pumped about that.

nice pressing mate

[quote]Adam-F wrote:
nice pressing mate[/quote]

Thanks! I was happy with it given two days of near ME.

Awesome pressing, I am still building towards my 200lb press.

[quote]elmore18 wrote:
Awesome pressing, I am still building towards my 200lb press.[/quote]

Thanks! I’m sure you will get it soon. I love presses for bench.

SQUAT

Lots of Warmup

SQUAT
3x5x45
5x135
3x225
5x285
3x320
7( 6)x355 (vid) (awful back arch) (rep PR of late)

LEG PRESS
10x250
10x340
10x430
10x520
10x540

(skipped hamstring curls because they are pretty beat up)

ABS
2x25

Felt pretty beat up going into the gym. Took more time to warmup. Squats felt good, although my back felt weak, which could explain my less than stellar arch out of the hole. Can’t complain though. Good last workout heading into my deload week.

BENCH (deload)

Morning weight: 274.0 (-.2 from last week)

Warmup

Pause Bench
10x45
5x135
3x185
1z225
1x265
1x305

Bench
3x5x225

Pause Bench (speed)
3x8x135

Ticep Pushdowns
3x8x50

Abs
2x25

30 min walking on treadmill

Nice and easy bench day. Worked up to a decent single in pause, which felt really light. Everything else felt fine. Looking forward to some heavy singles next week.

Also, got my EFS mini-bands today (average and moster mini) The average seem like they will be a beast to deal with in deadlift. Should be interesting.