Kids These Days

I am baffled by 20 - 27 year olds nowadays. My nephews ask me for training advice and nutrition and what not BUT they keep emphasizing that they dont want to put on any MUSCLE.

??!?!?!!

They keep stressing out about adding muscle apparently because they dont want to look FAT. I tell them that muscle is not fat but then they say they want to look LEAN. So if I understand them correctly, they want to hit the gym but they want to look like they are a skinny metrosexual in pink lavender fucia who doesn’t lift weights.

I blame the women for this. Somehow their girlfriends are warping their collective minds. Plus all their buddies are vegan or something and my nephews meat eating seems to approach zero.

What the hell is going on in this world? Seriously - what the hell?!?!?

Well, considering that im 20, almost 21 and none of the above applies to me, then maybe there is hope after all.

But i know what ya mean, the other day i was talking to a guy that works with me, and he does some long distance cycling races from time to time, and he was asking me for advice, and when i started telling him about Surge, and how it could help him, he got really defensive, and said that unlike me, he wanted to stay natural.

I hate him.

–JB

[quote]WS4JB wrote:

I hate him.

–JB[/quote]

Thats funny shit.

Plus tell him that he’ll never make it in cycling unless he starts doping.

I see this a lot in my profession. I’m a member of the Army, and often being in places that pose extreme danger I find that a lot of muscle helps my odds of survival a great deal.

My fellow members seem to still have this whole idea that being slim, lean, and “shredded” is most ideal (as if there is anyone here to impress with your abs when it’s all being covered by layers of clothing and armor.)
Besides that, even at home these guys are forfeiting a lot of muscle growth in lieu of the ongoing search of the magazine model look. WTF??

My fellow T-Nationers, we have a crisis. Manhood, manliness, and testicles are on an express train heading toward the Soy Buffet ran by Estrogen Everlasting Corps.

[quote]WS4JB wrote:
Well, considering that im 20, almost 21 and none of the above applies to me, then maybe there is hope after all.

But i know what ya mean, the other day i was talking to a guy that works with me, and he does some long distance cycling races from time to time, and he was asking me for advice, and when i started telling him about Surge, and how it could help him, he got really defensive, and said that unlike me, he wanted to stay natural.

I hate him.

–JB[/quote]

22 here.

Don’t even get me started on these idiots who think creatine is a “legal steroid” and “I don’t take protein powder because I want to stay natural”.

It’s great working out alone and not having anyone bother me with this stuff.

It’s a sad state of affairs. I’m 22, and have one acquaintance who takes deca, and runs 4 miles a day. That’s it. And he wonders why he’s not going anywhere. He also recommended pilates to me, because “Weightlifting is like an axe, and pilates are like a scalpel.”

I’m really becoming more and more dismayed and frustrated at the lack of “manness” that abounds today.

Today’s humans are waaaaaay too comfortable. We’ve goten lazy because so much “stuff” is so damned easy to get and achieve.

I like to keep survival in the back of my mind as I train and adjust my training accordingly. I realize that carrying more muscle mass than needed for survival is somewhat antithesis to my point, but I’d imagine our ancestors carried more muscle than we do today.

By survival, I mean being able to fight (if forced to) and otherwise be capable of handling whatever physical demands come your way.

I honestly see the line between male and female becoming blurred with every year that goes by. The whole PC thing in the 80’s pissed me off and I think it’s only gotten worse.

Being “manly” isn’t about watching football, scratching your balls in public or being an asshole on the road. What it IS about (to me) is… Oh hell, I don’t know really what it is but I know what it ISN’T.

It’s not about trying to make yourself “slim” or skinny. It’s not about taking two hours to get ready to go out on the weekends.

It’s not about being afraid of losing some abdominal definition in order to get stronger and more muscular. It’s not about A&F models or trying to be what your female peers seem to want.

Oh and it’s CERTAINLY not about being an f-ing vegan. Unless of course you think testosterone is the latest scourge of mankind.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:
It’s a sad state of affairs. I’m 22, and have one acquaintance who takes deca, and runs 4 miles a day. That’s it. And he wonders why he’s not going anywhere. He also recommended pilates to me, because “Weightlifting is like an axe, and pilates are like a scalpel.”

[/quote]

I’ll take the axe, thanks. Or make that a maul.

I’m a junior in high school and each freshman class coming in looks more and more metrosexual and starved and emo. My friends used to rip on me for being the skinniest kid but compared to some of these kids these days I was a fatass. I just don’t see the attraction in being skinnier than your girlfriend…

[quote]Skrussian wrote:
I’m a junior in high school and each freshman class coming in looks more and more metrosexual and starved and emo. My friends used to rip on me for being the skinniest kid but compared to some of these kids these days I was a fatass. I just don’t see the attraction in being skinnier than your girlfriend… [/quote]

I’m a high school junior as well and I’m seeing the EXACT same things going on. These kids come in damn near starving themselves on vegan diets, taking hours in the morning to do their girlishly-long hair, and making sure to wear only the tightest pants they can find (and all of this goes one not only with young high schoolers, but with people up into their mid-20’s as well).

This generation is headed somewhere bad unless we can make these idiots realize what they’re doing.

[quote]emr425 wrote:
This generation is headed somewhere bad unless we can make these idiots realize what they’re doing.

[/quote]

Bah. Let the Darwin Principle take them. They will not reproduce, as they will either die from starvation or not get lucky enough to get a girl to have sex with them. Only the strong survive. They are not strong. They will die miserable, pathetic and alone.

We all know girls like guys with muscle that act like men. If girls wanted waif-like vegetarians, why, they’d be lesbian.

Believe me. My nymph didn’t like body hair, grunting, scratching and all the other disgusting male things I do. Until she met me.

So, let the girlie men be the way they want. What, me care? The future is in my loins, not theirs.

[quote]derek wrote:
I’ll take the axe, thanks. Or make that a maul.[/quote]
Hell yeah. I have no use for scalpels and own four axes of various sizes which I use for chopping firewood.

I think it may just be that rich Western societies are so full of out-of-shape fat people that the opposite is fashionable. I grew up in Texas and without trying I had the body these guys seem to want - 5’10" and 138 pounds.

I was eating more than anyone in my family and doing no exercise or sports. Never thought there was much wrong with that and I was that way from age 20 until 30.

I then moved to Poland and I guess seeing real fucking skinny guys in real life (and not just when watching lightweight boxing matches on TV) I finally realized I don’t want to look anything like them. So I started lifting and overeating six months ago…

I feel like we had a bad batch of kids starting in 87 (my younger brothers DoB) hah. Hopefully my son can turn things around and unpussify every kid he comes in contact with. Vegans and all sorts of “crunchy” people make me want to kick em in the knee until it snaps and soybeans fall out just on the principle that they are to gentle for my world.

And another thing…scene kids, these little turds are the epitome of lost souls. Not confident enough for sports, yet to ugly physically/mentally to be popular on character alone. The solution is to buy girl pants, lose all male qualities, get a white belt, a commie hat, and go to “hardcore” shows…where you aggressively dance( but don’t actually hit anyone that wouldn’t be cool).

Remember metal? mosh pits, hit and be hit, that was the goal, someone falls down you help em up and hit em again. Scared little people we have become, there is much safety in never reaching, for any goals. Where is the drive?

To end this rant I think that being a man is about being unaffected by all the shit you see that bothers you(even scene kids) and living by your own principles. Took me 26 years to learn though…I’m kind of slow.

get stoked

[quote]kroby wrote:
We all know girls like guys with muscle that act like men. If girls wanted waif-like vegetarians, why, they’d be lesbian.[/quote]

The lesbians I know sure as hell don’t like waifs either!

I am 21, and throughout my High School and early College years I was (still am) friends with all kinds of people. Punks, goths, regulars, Jocks, spanish, asian, you name it. And from what I’ve seen when kids are vegan, emo, in short a wuzzy, for the most part it comes down to the parents. But, when kids don’t want to gain muscle, eat poorly, etc it usually comes down to ignorance and misinformation.

You see the guys I’ve met who are vegan, vegetarians, hippies, etc tend to come from very liberal parents. Reason being is that those parents instilled values like “killing animals is wrong”, “fighting/wrong is wrong”, etc. So the kids grow up in this “soil” and develop by following those basic values and beliefs. But in varying degrees depending on the individual.

Now, when it comes to muscle, training and diet, from what i’ve seen, misinformation was the biggest thing. Especially in those who didn’t do sports. Parents are just as confused as kids. People in H.S, College, work, just about everywhere believe that in 3 months of going to the gym 3 times a week for 1hr will make them get a six pack, and put 3 inches in thier arms.

Not only that, but people, especially girls, think that if they lift heavy and take a protein shake they will get big and bulky in 2 months. Thats why after 3 months of going to the gym most people stop going.

These are the 2 main trends I’ve seen in people. Sometimes these two get mixed up, thats when it is scary.

Now the most ironic I’ve seen, is that all the guys/gals I’ve known who take “nutrition” are the most stupid of all! Not because they don’t know, but because they think they Know It All.

[quote]kroby wrote:

Believe me. My nymph didn’t like body hair, grunting, scratching and all the other disgusting male things I do. Until she met me.
…[/quote]

LOL!!! funny sh*t man.

The doctor prescribes large doses of brutal/extreme music of any kind, plus some weekly mosh pits with some big punks.
If that doesnt cure…

I know which one is best for cutting trees and for winning a fight.

[quote]Brant_Drake wrote:

[/quote]

I think there is still hope.

The other night I was in an Eat & Park. There was a few emo girl boys at one table, and a few booths away there was a 12 year old kid ridiculing all of them.

It was kind of funny He was calling them weak, bitches, making fun of their hair, all kinds of good shit. He pointed out that his forearm was bigger than their legs. He was right.

Gotta admire that little bastard.

[quote]dentallica wrote:
WS4JB wrote:

I hate him.

–JB

Thats funny shit.

Plus tell him that he’ll never make it in cycling unless he starts doping.[/quote]

Well cycling and track and field have pretty much been overrun with steroids.