T Nation

Kids In The Gym

Well I was in the gym last night and these three kids about 16 come in jump on the bench do 2-3 reps then 3 forced
reps basically one of the guys spotting was pulling the wt of the other. This is just painful to watch.

So i was debating whether or not to say something being a newbie myself with limited to no knowledge Jotted down T-Nation web address and just told them to check it out. This may save them years of frustration. Now im thinking i should have ignored them and minded my own business

When I’m in the gym and I see someone doing something wrong, I let them. I absolutely refuse to become one of those know it alls who think everyone could benefit from my knowledge. If someone asks me, I’m glad to help.

That being said, I think what you did was totally fine. Didn’t sound too intrusive but still gave them some info they need.

Thanks for the reply, if they were adults I would have ignored them. I also dont want to become one of those guys who give out unwanted advice.

Anytime I see kids in a gym I immediately start throwing 10lb plates at them. Not that they are doing anything wrong. Its just that throwing weights is a really good conditioning exercise. Give it a try!!!

If they’re teens who’ve overloaded the bar to impress their mates then let 'em suffer; however, if the trainer looks sincere and has simply misunderstood an instruction then I think we should offer the help I am sure most of us would have appreciated when we started.

[Now, altogether: “Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya …”]

[quote]David Murtagh wrote:
If they’re teens who’ve overloaded the bar to impress their mates then let 'em suffer; however, if the trainer looks sincere and has simply misunderstood an instruction then I think we should offer the help I am sure most of us would have appreciated when we started.

[Now, altogether: “Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya …”][/quote]

That looks funny, since the ‘Kumbaya’ came up right next to your avatar