Kids in MMA - Positive or Negative?

[quote]Sifu wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:
i dont think mma for kids is anymore dangerous than pee wee football. they limit punches to below the collar bone and are always under supervision.

the “experts” like the very ugly and naive dan doyle will tell ya that it is child abuse, its despicable, etc etc

but yea, fuck him

Did you watch the video that went with that piece? Those kids were hitting to the head. One of the kids was using his face like a catchers mitt. Besides the cumulative trauma caused by hitting to the body takes a toll on internal organs.

Mixed martial arts is not everything it is hyped up to be. MMA is the flavor of the month and it has been quite popular, but there are much better fighting strategies that can be taught to kids. ie In karate we use a technique called “evasion”. Evasion is far superior to the MMA strategy of grin and bear it, of just standing there and letting a trained martial artist wail away on your body.

In professional fighting there is a factor known as “ring age”. Ring age is the accumulated damage from getting beat on in the ring. Putting kids into MMA is a good way for them to collect so much ring age that they will be having problems by the time they are in their twenties.

Mixed Martial arts should be something that is done to take a trained martial artists experience to another level. With kids it just isn’t neccessary to beat on them like that, when they don’t have a fully developed skill set. Striking or grappling arts are something that you can spend several years developing as individual arts before you really need to combine them and then start going all out.

Then there is the issue of needing to keep parents in check which is a huge problem in all martial arts. In MMA I can see that really getting out of hand.[/quote]

first, let me say that your view is exceptional in the fact that all parents must do what is right for their kids.
on the other hand, whats so bad about young kids in mma? the striking? slamming?
let me steal frank shamrock’s words and bring up football and wrestling. kids put on helmets and step on a field where they might get hit head on with a kid nearly twice his size… because we all know that puberty doesnt arrive at the same juncture. and let me add that in football, you are not taught how to fall properly, and even when you do, there is a risk of your foot getting caught in the grass and someone landing on your knee which would most likely tear up your acl and/or mcl your patella miniscus etc etc. these injuries live with you forever.

i am not downplaying football. injuries happen in every sport, even badminton.

what about kids in boxing? no one has ever said shit about it, and if they did, it never reached a level where politics got involved.

wrestling. these kids get slammed just the same, if not more than kids in mma.

anyways, to make this short my main point is that mma is a sport also. and if you practice it with proper training and supervision, your risk of injury is just as same as in any other sport.

and that ring age thing… alexander karelin started wrestling when he was about 10 years old, maybe younger. he was well into his 30’s dominating world class athletes. and those athletes as well have probably started very young. fedor started doing sambo and other grappling at a very young age also. look at him now. injury free, famous, healthy, and undisputed.

and if you think mma is just a flavor of the month, you need to do some more reading. or watch tv. or talk to someone.

kids should be allowed to practice mma at 5 years old. competition should be limited to kids 12 and up. with more strict rules of course. and then full contact at 18

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
first, let me say that your view is exceptional in the fact that all parents must do what is right for their kids.
on the other hand, whats so bad about young kids in mma? the striking? slamming?
let me steal frank shamrock’s words and bring up football and wrestling. kids put on helmets and step on a field where they might get hit head on with a kid nearly twice his size… because we all know that puberty doesnt arrive at the same juncture. and let me add that in football, you are not taught how to fall properly, and even when you do, there is a risk of your foot getting caught in the grass and someone landing on your knee which would most likely tear up your acl and/or mcl your patella miniscus etc etc. these injuries live with you forever.

i am not downplaying football. injuries happen in every sport, even badminton.

what about kids in boxing? no one has ever said shit about it, and if they did, it never reached a level where politics got involved.

anyways, to make this short my main point is that mma is a sport also. and if you practice it with proper training and supervision, your risk of injury is just as same as in any other sport.

and that ring age thing… alexander karelin started wrestling when he was about 10 years old, maybe younger. he was well into his 30’s dominating world class athletes. and those athletes as well have probably started very young. fedor started doing sambo and other grappling at a very young age also. look at him now. injury free, famous, healthy, and undisputed.

and if you think mma is just a flavor of the month, you need to do some more reading. or watch tv. or talk to someone.

[/quote]

Football is a fucking retarded sport. The injuries in that sport are absurd. I don’t think I will let my kid do football. My HS wrestling coach used to ask his better wrestlers not to play football because of the number that get injured in the fall right before wrestling season.

Wrestling does not have many injuries and there are no slams allowed at the high school level.

I want my kids getting slammed, raped, beheaded and mutilated beyond recognition.

Who the fuck wants kids around?

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
Sifu wrote:
ZeusNathan wrote:
i dont think mma for kids is anymore dangerous than pee wee football. they limit punches to below the collar bone and are always under supervision.

the “experts” like the very ugly and naive dan doyle will tell ya that it is child abuse, its despicable, etc etc

but yea, fuck him

Did you watch the video that went with that piece? Those kids were hitting to the head. One of the kids was using his face like a catchers mitt. Besides the cumulative trauma caused by hitting to the body takes a toll on internal organs.

Mixed martial arts is not everything it is hyped up to be. MMA is the flavor of the month and it has been quite popular, but there are much better fighting strategies that can be taught to kids. ie In karate we use a technique called “evasion”. Evasion is far superior to the MMA strategy of grin and bear it, of just standing there and letting a trained martial artist wail away on your body.

In professional fighting there is a factor known as “ring age”. Ring age is the accumulated damage from getting beat on in the ring. Putting kids into MMA is a good way for them to collect so much ring age that they will be having problems by the time they are in their twenties.

Mixed Martial arts should be something that is done to take a trained martial artists experience to another level. With kids it just isn’t neccessary to beat on them like that, when they don’t have a fully developed skill set. Striking or grappling arts are something that you can spend several years developing as individual arts before you really need to combine them and then start going all out.

Then there is the issue of needing to keep parents in check which is a huge problem in all martial arts. In MMA I can see that really getting out of hand.

let me steal frank shamrock’s words and bring up football and wrestling. kids put on helmets and step on a field where they might get hit head on with a kid nearly twice his size… because we all know that puberty doesnt arrive at the same juncture. and let me add that in football, you are not taught how to fall properly, and even when you do, there is a risk of your foot getting caught in the grass and someone landing on your knee which would most likely tear up your acl and/or mcl your patella miniscus etc etc. these injuries live with you forever. [/quote]

That is a ridiculous rationalisation. Just because kids can get crippled with football doesn’t make it okay to cripple them with martial arts. I know a lot of grown men who are limping around on limbs they damaged years or even decades ago in high school football. Besides the amount of time in a football game that is spent actually getting hit is a fraction of the time.

Have you ever seen Frank Shamrock fight? The guy is a meathead who doesn’t give a fuck about getting hit. I wouldn’t want him teaching one of my kids.

Let me add that just because you have been taught how to something properly it doesn’t mean you are actually going to do it when it counts the most in a fight. In fighting you can make one mistake and be seriously damaged. I know people who have been seriously injured doing demos, where the idea was not to hurt someone.

This is why it is bad to have kids fighting full contact, because one mistake can leave them damaged for life at a time when they really don’t need to be doing it. It’s huge risks for no payoff.

The striking can do damage. Beating on heavy bags can do damage to growing bones. In children the ends of their bones have a structure called the growth plate, damage that growth plate and you damage their growth. Dumps can do serious damage. You can cripple or kill someone with a dump.

[quote]

i am not downplaying football. injuries happen in every sport, even badminton. [/quote]

But you are seriously down playing martial arts by comparing them to sports. Martial arts is not a sport. Martial means military. These military arts are meant to kill. We may tone them down so we can make a sport out of them, but these arts originally were meant to kill. They were not developed to be sports. They were not meant to be sports. They were meant for the deadly serious business of killing. Too many lay people are not respecting what these arts are or what they are capable of.

[quote]

what about kids in boxing? no one has ever said shit about it, and if they did, it never reached a level where politics got involved. [/quote]

It really depends on who is doing the teaching. In general boxers are not taught to just stand there and take a beating. But even with boxing you have to be careful with what the kids are getting into and how soon. Boxing is a narrowly focused art with boxing there are a lot less variables that have to be learned and watched out for.

[quote]

wrestling. these kids get slammed just the same, if not more than kids in mma. [/quote]

No they don’t. In restling you don’t get slammed on your head then receive a flurry of follow up blows. Nor do you recieve blows to the head then dumped. Wrestling doesn’t involve a lot of joint locking which can damage developing joints.

The only reason why a person would be able to tapout of a joint lock is because you are being nice. If you apply a joint lock right you are going to destroy the joint before your opponent even has a chance to tap.

One last thing about Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu. These are individual arts. As such one could easily spend several years learning the techniques, theory, principles and training in them before they get good. Traditionally in the Orient it was expected that one would spend at least five years studying Karate to earn a black belt.

If a child is not good at both the ground fighting and the stand up they really don’t need to be spending a lot of time doing MMA. [quote]

anyways, to make this short my main point is that mma is a sport also. and if you practice it with proper training and supervision, your risk of injury is just as same as in any other sport. [/quote]

Martial arts is not a sport. MMA is a sport which is derived from maiming and killing arts. As such it needs to be handled with care.

[quote]

and that ring age thing… alexander karelin started wrestling when he was about 10 years old, maybe younger. he was well into his 30’s dominating world class athletes. and those athletes as well have probably started very young. fedor started doing sambo and other grappling at a very young age also. look at him now. injury free, famous, healthy, and undisputed. [/quote]

Have you watched Karelin fight? He might be a great wrestler but he is pathetic if he can’t get ahold of you. He eats shots like they are candy. Besides he hasn’t been eating shots in MMA since he was ten.

Yes Fedor did Sambo at a young age. It is a physical grappling art, but he wasn’t taking a pounding like he has in Pride. Most importantly the man is what we call talented. You can’t teach talent. A good teacher can help develop talent but they can’t teach it. That is why Fedor is undisputed and rich. So get real. It is not every kid who has a dream who is going to be a Fedor.

There is a hell of a lot of competition and very little room at the top. A kid is going to have more chances of winning American Idol than becoming a world champion fighter.

How do you know Fedor doesn’t have injuries? Have you seen all the people he has fought? Of course he has injuries. To do full contact martial arts you have to learn to live with pain. The thing I found works best is denial I tell myself “it didn’t hurt me” even when it does. All those fighters have injuries, pain and scars.

And how long have you been studying martial arts? Have you been studying long enough to remember the Ninja craze of the Eighties? I can remember how a lot of lay idiots were going around saying “Those Ninjas are something else”. “Do you do Ninjitsu”?

I have grown to enjoy watching MMA matches but I don’t believe everything I read in the press or see on tv. Dana White is not the worlds foremost martial arts expert but he is a good salesman. Don’t believe the hype. Yes his fighters are tough and a few of them have good skills, but it isn’t the pinnacle of martial arts, any more than crappy Xience is the pinnacle of supplements. So get real.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Sifu wrote: Headgear doesn’t do a damn thing to protect your brain.

This is absolute nonsense. This issue has been studied extensively. Just do some basic searching and you’ll realize that, as usual, your “TMA logic” leads you to false conclusions.[/quote]

Um . . . what? It has indeed been studied extensively. Primary effects of “headgear,” helmets, etc, are thus:

Reduction in risk of cuts and abrasions
Reduction in risk of skeletal damage vis a vi, facial, cranial, and mandibular bones
Reduction in risk of cosmetic damage to cartilaginous structures of the face and head (nose, ears)

. . .

Yeah. I can tell that helps with direct and indirect trauma which can result in rapid acceleration/deceleration of the skull which is the primary cause of brain injury in contact activities.

We, the ignorant masses, thank you ten fold for your contributions not only to bodybuilding, but sport, martial art, general skill acquisition, and the ability to make love to a beautiful woman.

Headgear is not some kind of magic panacea. I’ve knocked people out with head gear on. I know plenty enough people who can blow through headgear like it isn’t even there. It doesn’t do much. I’ve even seen people knocked out with bogu gear on. It certainly doesn’t make it safe to take repeated shots to the head.

The brain is like jello and it is free floating inside the skull. The way a knockout occurs is the skull accelerates so fast that the brain cannot move in unison with it and the skull crashes into the brain.

This why slipping a punch by pulling the head back just before you are hit can prevent getting knocked out. Because it gets the skull and brain moving in unison so there is less of a difference in acceleration between the two when the blow lands.

Head gear limits perifferal vision which makes it difficult to see blows that are coming in from the side like hook punches. These are the blows which cause rotational acceleration which is the most damaging to the brain.

Lets also not forget that headgear is being suggested as something that can make it perfectly safe for a child to spend years being repeatedly beat around the head.

Another thing that many martial artists don’t appreciate either is the body is not something you can just beat on. I know people who have permanent internal organ damage from getting hit in the body.

Another thing that people need to be realistic about is this. There are millions of people practicing martial arts. Only a handful of them are ever going to make a career out of it. The UFC has five weight classes, which means five champions and five get to be the top contenders. The combined top ten of each class is fifty people.

All it takes is ONE injury, not two, not three, but ONE and a fighters career can be over. A career as a champion fighter is just not going to be in the cards for most people.

Another thing that needs to be understood is this. MMA is sport martial arts. It is not the same as self defense martial arts. The whole idea of sport is you are giving the other guy a sporting chance to beat you. In self defense you don’t care about being a good sport you only care about defending yourself. In self defense you don’t rely upon the other guy being a good sport either. In MMA there is a lot of reliance upon the other guy being a good sport.

Here’s a nice reference list for anyone interested:

Abreau, F, Temple, D, Schuyler, B, & Hutchinson, HT. (1990). Neuropsychological assessment of soccer players, Neuropsychology, 4, pp175-81.

Adams, J.H., Graham, D.I., & Gennarelli,T.A. (1981). Acceleration induced head

injury in the monkey. II. Neuropathology, Acta Neuropathol, Supp VII, pp26-28.

Aldrich, E.F., Eisenberg, H.M., Saydjari, C., Luerssen, T.G., Foulkes, M.A., Jane, J.A., Marshall, L.F, Marmarou, A., & Young, H.F. (1992). Diffuse brain swelling in severely head-injured children, A report from the NIH Traumatic Coma Data Bank, Journal of Neurosurgery, 76, pp450-54.

Alem, N.M. (1974). Simulation of head injury due to combined rotation and

translation of the brain, Proceedings of Eighteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, pp579-598.

Alexander, M. (1995). Mild head injury: Pathophysiology, natural history and clinical management, Neurology, 45, pp1253-60.

Amacher, A.L. (1988). Pediatric Head Injuries, A Handbook, St. Louis, MO: Warren H. Green, Inc.

American Academy of Pediatrics. (1981). Injuries in young athletes, The

Physician and Sportsmedicine, 9(2), pp107-110.

Anderson, M.K., Hall, S.J., & Hitchings, C. (1997). Fundamentals of Sports Injury Management, Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins.

Anderson, W.F. (1985). Prevention of head injuries in taekwondo, U.S.

Taekwondo Journal, 24(1), pp5-7.

Annegers, J.F. (1983). The epidemiology of head trauma in children, Pediatric

Head Trauma, Mt. Kisco, NY: Futura Publishing Company, Inc.,

pp1-26.

Advani, S., Ommaya, A.K., & Yank, W.J. (1982). Head injury mechanisms, Human Body Dynamics, Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.

ASTM (American Society of Testing & Measurements). (1999). Standard specification for impact attenuation of surface systems under and around playground equipment, ASTM, Designation #F1292-99, West Conshohocken, PA.

Bailes, J. (1997). Abstract presented at Sports Related Concussion and Nervous System Injuries Conference, Orlando, FL, February 8-10.

Bailes, J.E. (1998). Head Injuries in Sport, Sports Neurology, Second Edition, ed. Jordan, B.D. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven Publishers.

Barnes, B.C., Cooper, L., Kirkendall, D.T., McDermott, T.P., Jordan, B.D.,

Garrett, W.E., Jr. (1998). Concussion History in Elite Male and Female Soccer Players, The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 26(3),

pp433-438.

Barth, J.T., Alves, W.M., Ryan, T.V., Macciocchi, S.N., Rimel, R.W., Jane, J.A., & Nelson, W.E. (1989). Mild head injury in sports: Neuropsychological sequlae and recovery of function, Mild Head Injury, ed. Levin, H.S., Eisenberg, H.M. & Benton, A.L., New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Barth, JT, Macciocchi, SN, Boll, TJ, Giordani, B, Jane, JA, & Rimel, RW. (1983). Neuropsychological sequelae of minor head injury, Neurosurgery, 13, pp529-33.

Beers, S.R. (1992). Cognitive effects of mild head injury in children and adolescents, Neuropsychology Reviews, 3(4), pp281-320.

Benton, A.L. (1989). Historical notes on the postconcussion syndrome, Mild Head Injury, ed. Levin, H.S., Eisenberg, H.M. & Benton, A.L., New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Binder, L.M. (1986). Persisting symptoms after mild head injury: a review of the

postconcussive syndrome, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 8(4), pp323-346.

Birrer, R.B. (1996). Trauma epidemiology in the martial arts – the results of an

eighteen-year international survey, The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 24(6), ppS72-S79.

Birrer, R.B. (1998). Neurologic injuries in the martial arts, Sports Neurology, New York, NY: Lippincott-Raven.

Birrer, R.B. & Birrer, C.D. (1981). The Head, Medical Injuries in the Martial Arts,

Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas Books, pp42-60.

Birrer, R.B. & Birrer, C.D. (1983). Unreported injuries in the martial arts, British

Journal of Sports Medicine, 17(2), pp131-134.

Birrer, R., Birrer, C., Son, D.S., & Stone, D. (1981). Injuries in tae kwon do, The

Physician and Sportsmedicine, 9(2), pp97-103.

Birrer, R.B., & Halbrook, S.P. (1988). Martial arts injuries – the results of a five

year national survey, The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 16(4), pp408-410.

Bishop, P.J., Norman, R.W., & Pierrynowski, M. (1979). The ice hockey helmet: How effective is it? Physician & SportsMedicine, 7, pp97-106.

Blonstein, J.L., & Clarke, E. (1957). Further observations on medical aspects of amateur boxing, British Medical Journal, 1, pp362-364.

Blumbergs, P.C., Scott, G., Manavis, J., Wainright, H., Simpson, D.A., & McLean, A.J. (1994). Staining of amyloid precursor protein to study axonal damage in mild head injury, The Lancet, 344, pp1055-1056.

Bonneville, S. (1999). Martial arts injuries: a review,

http:publish.uwo.ca/~ahpandya/spmarti.html.

Bostrom, K. & Helander, C.G. (1986). Aspects on pathology and neuropathology

in head injury, Acta Neurochirurgica, Supplement 36, pp51-55.

Bream, H.T. (1996). Postconcussion syndrome: a case study, Athletic Therapy

Today, 1(1), pp7-10

Brett, E.M., Hoare, R.D., Sheehy, M.P., & Marsden, C.D. (1981). Progressive hemidystonia due to focal basal ganglia lesion after mild head trauma, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, & Psychiatry, 44, pp460.

British Medical Association (1984). Boxing, Report of the Board of Science and Education Working Party, British Medical Association.

Brooks, N. (1984). Closed head injury: Psychological, social, and family consequences, Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Brooks, N., Kupshik, G., Wilson, L., Galbraith, S., & Ward, R. (1987). A

neuropsychological study of active amateur boxers, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, 50, pp997-1000.

Bruce, D.A., Alavi, A., Bilaniuk, L., Dolinskas, C., Obrist, W., & Uzzell, B. (1981). Diffuse cerebral swelling following head injuries in children: the syndrome of �??malignant brain edema�??, Journal of Neurosurgery, 54, pp170-178.

Brukner, P. (1996). Concussion, Australian Family Physician, 25(9), pp1445- 1448.

Brust, J.D., Leonard, B.J., Pheley, A. et al, (1992). Children�??s ice hockey injuries, American Journal of Disabled Child, 46, pp741-747.

Burdi, AR, Huelke, DF, Snyder, RG, & Lowrey, GH. (1969). Infants and children in the adult world of automobile safety design: Pediatric and anatomical considerations for design of child restraints, Biomechanics, Great Britain, 2, pp267-80.

Butler, R.J. (1994). Neuropsychological investigation of amateur boxers, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 28, pp187-190.

Cameron, K.L., Yunker, C.A. & Austin, M.C. (1999). A standardized protocol for

the initial evaluation and documentation of mild brain injury, The Journal of Athletic Training, 34(1), pp34-42.

Casson, I.R., Siegel, O., Sham, R., Campbell, E.A., Tarlau, M., & DiDomenico, A. (1984). Brain damage in modern boxing, JAMA, 251, pp2663-67.

Cantu, R.C. (1988). When to return to contact sports after a cerebral concussion, Sports Medicine Digest, 10(11), pp1-2.

Cantu, R.C. (1991). Position statement of the American Medical Association on boxing: analysis and perspective, Athletic Injuries to the Head, Neck & Face, ed. Torg, J.S., St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Yearbook, Inc, pp72-84.

Cantu, R.C. (1992). Cerebral concussion in sport – management and prevention, Sports Medicine, 14(1), pp64-74.

Cantu, R.C. (1992b). Second impact syndrome: immediate management, Physician and Sportsmedicine, 20, pp55.

Cantu, R.C. (1995). Boxing and Medicine, Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

Cantu, R.C. (1996). Head injuries in sport, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 30, pp289-96.

Cantu, R.C. (1998). Second impact syndrome, Clinics in Sports Medicine, 17(1), pp37-44.

Cantu, R.C. (1998b). Return to play guidelines after a head injury, Clinics in Sports Medicine, 17(1), pp45-60.

Cantu, R.C. (2000). Neurologic Athletic Head and Spine Injuries, Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company.

Cantu, R.C. & Voy, R. (1995). Case report, second impact syndrome – a risk in

any contact sport, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 23(6), pp27-34.

Casson, I.R., Siegel, O., Sham, R., Campbell, E.A., Tarlau, M., & DiDomenico, A. (1984). Brain damage in modern boxers, JAMA, 251, pp2663-2667.

Chan, H.S. (1974). Mathematical model for closed head impact, Proceedings of

Eighteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, pp557-578.

Chuang, T.Y. & Lieu, D.K. (1992). A parametric study of the thoracic injury

potential of basic taekwondo kicks, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 114, pp346-351.

Chun, Richard. (1976). Tae Kwon Do: The Korean Martial Art, New York, NY:

Harper Collins Publishing.

Clarke, K.S. (1998). Epidemiology of athletic neck injury, Clinics in Sports

Medicine – Neurologic Athletic Head and Neck Injuries, 17(1), pp83-97.

Clemedson, C.J., Falconer, B., Frankenberg, L., Jonsson, A., & Wennerstrand, J.

(1973). Head injuries caused by small-calibre, high velocity bullets – An experimental study, Z Rechtsmedizin, 73, pp103-114.

Committee on Sports Medicine. (1984). Participation in boxing among children

and young adults, Pediatrics, 74(2), pp311-312.

Corsellis, J.A.N., Bruton, C.J., & Freeman-Browne, D. (1973). The aftermath of boxing, Psychological Medicine, 3, pp270-303.

Courville, CE. (1950). The mechanism of coup-contrecoup injuries of the brain. Bulletin of the Los Angeles Neurological Society, 15, pp1572-86.

Critchley, G.R., Mannion, S., & Meredith, C. (1999). Injury rates in Shotokan karate, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 33, pp174-177.

Curvey, JD, & Buttler, G. (1975). The mechanical properties of bone tissue in children, The Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, 57(6), pp810-14.

Dacey, R.G., Alves, W.M., Ryan, T.V., & Jane, J.A. (1986). Neurosurgical complications after apparently minor head injury: Assessment of risk in a series of 610 patients, Journal of Neurosurgery, pp203-210.

Danielsen, R.D. (1996). Karate injuries – origins and prevention, Clinician

Reviews, 6(5), pp95-111.

Davis, P.M. & McKelvey, M.K. (1998). Medicolegal aspects of athletic head

injury, Clinics in Sports Medicine – Neurologic Athletic Head and Neck Injuries, 17(1), pp71-82.

Davis, R.L., Mullen, N., Makela, M., Taylor, J.A., Cohen, W., & Rivara, F.P. (1994). Cranial computed tomography scans in children after minimal head injury with loss of consciousness, Annuals in Emergency Medicine, 24, pp640-45.

DeHaven, H. (1942). Mechanical analysis of survival in falls from heights of fifty to one hundred and fifty feet, War Medicine, 2, pp586-96.

DeRoss, A.L., Adams, J.E., Vane, D.W., Russell, S.J., Terella, A.M., & Wald, S.L. (2002). Multiple head injuries in rats: Effects on behavior, The Journal of Trauma Injury, Infection & Critical Care, April, pp708-714.

Diab, N. & Mourino, A.P. (1997). Parental attitudes toward mouthgards, Pediatric

Dentistry, 19(8), pp455-460.

Dickers, G., & Maddocks, D. ( 1993). Clinical management of concussion, Australian Family Physician, 22(5), pp750-753.

Dikmen, S.S., Temkin, N., & Armsden, G. (1989). Neuropsychological recovery: Relationship to psychosocial functioning and postconcussional complaints, Mild Head Injury, ed. Levin, H.S., Eisenberg, H.M. & Benton, A.L., New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Dishman, R.K. & Dunn, A.L. (1989). Pediatric sport psychology, Pediatric Sports

Medicine, New York, NY: PMA Publishing Corp., pp233-255.

Eiband, A.M. (1959). Human tolerance to rapidly applied accelerations: A

summary of the literature, NASA Memo, May 19.

Engelborghs, K., Verlooy, J., Van Reempts, J., Van Deuren, B., de Ven, M. &

Borgers, M. (1998). Temporal changes in intracranial pressure in a modified experimental model of closed head injury, Journal of Neurosurgery, 89, pp796-806.

Erlanger, DM, Kutner, KC, Barth, JT, & Barnes, R. (1999). Neuropsychology of Sports-Related Head Injury: Dementia Pugilistica to Post Concussion Syndrome, The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 13(2), pp193-209.

Estwanik, J.J., Boitano, M., Ari, N. (1984). Amateur boxing injuries at the 1981 and 1982 USA/ABF national championships, Physician & SportsMedicine, 12, pp123-128.

Evans, R.W. (1992). The post concussion syndrome and the sequelae of mild head injury, Neurology Clinics, 10, pp815-847.

Evans, F.G., Lissner, H.R., & Lebow, M. (1958). The relation of energy, velocity

and acceleration to skull deformation and fracture, Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, 107, pp593-601.

Ewing, R., & McCarthy, D. (1980). Persisting effect of minor head injury observable during hypoxic stress, Journal of Clinical Neuropsychology, 2, pp147-155.

Fan, W.R.S. (1971). Internal head injury assessment, Proceedings of Fifteenth

Stapp Car Crash Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, pp645-665.

Feld, M.S., McNair, R.E., & Wilk, S.R. (1979). The physics of karate, Scientific American, 240(4), pp 150-158.

Feickert, H-J., Drommer, S., & Heyer, R. (1999). Severe head injury in children:

impact of risk factors on outcome, The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection, & Critical Care, 47(1), pp33-38.

Franklin, G.M., Heaton, R.K. & Nelson, L.M. (1988). Correlations of neuropsychological and MRI findings in chronic/progressive multiple schlerosis, Neurology, 38, pp1826-1829.

Fraser, T.M. (1966). Human response to sustained acceleration, NASA-SP-103,

Scientific and Technical Information Division, NASA, Washington, DC.

Frenquelli, A., Ruscito, P., Sicciolo, G., Rizzo, S., & Massarelli, N. (1991). Head and neck trauma in sporting activities. Review of 208 cases, Journal of Craniomaxillofacial Surgery, 19(4), pp178-181.

Gadd, C.W. (1971). Tolerable severity index in whole-head, nonmechanical

impact, Proceedings of Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, pp809-816.

Gandy, S.E., Snow, R.B., Zimmerman, R.D., & Deck, M.D.F. (1984). Assessment of head trauma by computed tomography and nuclear magnetic resonance, Neurology, 16, pp114.

Geberich, S.G., & Burns, S.R. (1998). Neurologic injuries in ice hockey, Sports Neurology, New York, NY; Lippincott-Raven.

Gennarelli, T.A. (1991). Head injury mechanisms/Cerebral concussion and diffuse brain injuries, Athletic Injuries to the Head, Neck & Face, ed. Torg, J.S., St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Yearbook, Inc., pp232-240/270-282.

Gennarelli, T.A., Adams, J.H., & Graham, D.I. (1981). Acceleration induced head

injury in the monkey. I. The model, its mechanical and physiological correlates, Acta neuropathol, Supp VII, pp23-25.

Gennarelli, T.A., Ommaya, A.K. & Thibault, L.E. (1971). Comparison of

translational and rotational head motions in experimental cerebral concussion, Proceedings of Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, pp797-803.

Gennarelli, T.A., & Thibault, L.E. (1982). Biomechanics of acute subdural hematoma, Journal of Trauma, 22, pp680-686.

Gennarelli, T.A., Thibault, L.E., Adams, J.H., et al. (1982). Diffuse axonal injury and traumatic coma in the primate, Annals in Neurology, 12, pp564.

Gennarelli, T.A., Thibault, L.E., & Ommaya, A.K. (1972). Pathophysiologic

responses to rotational and translational accelerations of the head, Proceedings of Sixteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, pp296-308.

Gerrard, J, Park, YHee, & Park, YHwan. (1989). Tae Kwon Do: The Ultimate

Reference Guide to the World�??s Most Popular Martial Art, New York, NY: Facts on File, Inc.

Giovinazzo, V.J., Smith, D.J., & Vinger, P.F. (1995). Eye injuries, Boxing and Medicine, R.C. Cantu ed., Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.

Giovinazzo, V.J., Yannuzzi, L.A., Sorenson, J.A., Delrowe, D.J., & Campbell, E.A. (1987). The ocular complications of boxing, Ophthalmology, 94, pp587-596.

Giza, C.C., & Hovda, D.A. (2000). Ionic and metabolic consequences of concussion, Neurologic Athletic Head and Spine Injuries, Cantu, R.C. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company, pp 80-100.

Gjerris, F. (1986). Head injuries in children – special features, Acta

Neurochirurgica, Supplement 36, pp155-158.

Goldsmith, W. (1966). The physical processes producing head injuries, Head

Injury Conference Proceedings, Caveness, WF, pp350-382.

Goldsmith, W. (1981). Current controversies in the stipulation of head injury

criteria, Journal of Biomechanics, 14(12), pp883-884.

Goldstein, G. & Incagnoli, T.M. (1997). Contemporary Approaches to

Neuropsychological Assessment, New York, NY: Plenum Press.

Gonzales, T.A. (1951). Fatal injuries in competitive sports, JAMA, 146(16),

pp1506-1511.

Govons, S.R. (1968). Brain concussion and posture – the knockdown blow of the boxing ring, Confin Neurology, 30, pp77-84.

Grafman, J., Vance, S.C., Weingartner, H., Salazar, A.M., * Amin, D. (1986). Brain, 109, pp1127-1148.

Graham, D.I., Adams, J.H., and Doyle, D. (1978). Ischemic brain damage in fatal non-missile head injuries, Journal of Neurology, 39, pp213-234.

Greenberg, M.S., & Springer, P.S. (1991). Diagnosis and management of oral injuries, Athletic Injuries to the Head, Neck & Face, ed. Torg, J.S., St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Yearbook, Inc., pp635-649.

Gronwall, D. (1989). Cumulative and persisting effects of concussion on attention and cognition, Mild Head Injury, ed. Levin, H.S., Eisenberg, H.M. & Benton, A.L., New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Gronwall, D.M.A. (1977). Paced auditory serial-addition task: a measure of

recovery from concussion, Perceptual and Motor Skills, 44, pp367-373.

Gronwall, D., & Wrightson, P. (1974). Delayed recovery of intellectual function

after minor head injury, The Lancet, September 14, pp605-609.

Gronwall, D., & Wrightson, P. (1975). Cumulative effect of concussion, The

Lancet, November 22, pp995-997.

Gronwall, D., & Wrightson, P. (1980). Duration of post-traumatic amnesia after mild head injury, Journal of Clinical Neuropsychology, 2, pp51-60.

Gronwall, D., & Wrightson, P. (1981). Memory and information processing

capacity after closed head injury, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, & Psychiatry, 44, pp889-895.

Gurdjian, E.S. (1972). Recent advances in the study of the mechanism of impact

injury of the head – A Summary, Clinical Neurosurgery, 19, pp1-42.

Gurdjian, E.S. & Gurdjian, E.S. (1975). Re-evaluation of the biomechanics of

blunt impact injury of the head, Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, 140(6), pp845-850.

Gurdjian, E.S., Hodgson, V.R., Thomas, L.M., & Patrick, L.M. (1968).

Significance of relative movements of scalp, skull, and intracranial contents during impact injury of the head, Journal of Neurosurgery, 29(1), pp70-72.

Gurdjian, E.S. & Lissner, H.R. (1946). Deformation of the skull in head injury

studied by the �??stresscoat�?? technique, quantitative determinations, Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, 83, pp219-233.

Gurdjian, ES, Lissner, HR, Hodgson, MS, & Patrick, LM. (1966). Mechanism of head injury, Clinical Neurosurgery, Proceedings of the Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 12, pp112-128

Haglund, Y., & Eriksson, E. (1993). Does amateur boxing lead to chronic brain

damage?, The American Journal of Sports Medicine, 21(1), pp97-109.

Handler, S.D. (1991). Diagnosis and management of maxillofacial injuries, Athletic Injuries to the Head, Neck & Face, ed. Torg, J.S., St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Yearbook, Inc., pp 611-634.

Heilbronner, R.L., Henry, G.K., & Carson-Brewer, M. (1991). Neuropsychologic test performance in amateur boxers, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 19(4), pp376-380.

Hinton-Bayre, A.D., Geffen, G.M., Geffen, L.B., McFarland, K.A., & Friis, P.

(1999). Concussion in contact sports: reliable change indices of impairment and recovery, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 21(1), pp70-86.

Hirsch, A.E., Ommaya, A.K., & Mahone, R.H. (1968). Tolerance of subhuman primate brain to cerebral concussion, Impact Injury and Crash Protection, ed. Gurdjian, E.S., Lange, W.A., Patrick, L.M., and Thomas, L.M. Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas Publisher, pp352-371.

Hirsch, A.E. & Ommaya, A.K. (1970). Protection from brain injury: the relative

significance of translational and rotational motions of the head after impact, Proceedings of Fourteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE, Ann Arbor, MI, pp144-151.

Hitchcock, E.R., & Karmi, M.Z. (1982). Sports injuries to the central nervous system, Journal of the Royal College of Surgery in Edinburgh, 27,

pp46-49.

Hodgson, V.R. (1970). Physical factors related to experimental concussion,

Impact Injury and Crash Protection, Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas.

Hodgson, V.R. & Thomas, L.M. (1971). Comparison of head acceleration injury

indices in cadaver skull fracture, Proceedings of Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE, Ann Arbor, MI, pp190-206.

Hodgson, V.R., & Thomas, L.M. (1981). Boxing gloves compared using dummy head acceleration response, Report to the New York State Athletic Commissioner.

Hodgson, V.R., Thomas, E.S., Gurdjian, E.S., Fernando, O.U., Greenbert, S.W.,

& Chason, J.L. (1969). Advances in understanding of experimental concussion mechanisms, Proceedings of the 13th Stapp Car Crash Conference, P-28, SAE Paper 690796, New York, NY: Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.

Hoerner, E.F. (1994). Head and Neck Injuries in Sports, Philadelphia, PA:

American Society of Testing and Materials.

Holburn, A.H. (1943). Mechanics of head injuries. Lancet, pp438-441.

Holburn, A.H. (1945). The mechanics of brain injuries. British Medical Bulletin, 3,

pp147-148.

Humm, J.L., Kozlowski, D.A., James, D.C. et al. (1998). Use-dependent exacerbation of brain damage occurs during early post-lesion vulnerable period, Brain Reserves, 783, pp286-292.

Hunt. V. (1998). Winter sports raise perennial question: should mouthgards be

required, NATA News, November, pp10-11.

Ingersoll, C.D. (1994). Measurement of sensory functioning and integration following closed head injury, Head & Neck Injuries in Sports, ASTM STP 1229, ed. E.F. Hoerner, Philadelphia, PA: American Society for Testing and Materials.

Isaacman, D.J., Poirier, M.P., Loiselle, J.M.

Jacobson, S.A. (1969). Mechanism of the sequelae of minor craniocervical trauma, The late effects of head injury, Springfield, IL: Charles C. Thomas, pp35-45.

Jedlinski, J., Gatarski, J., & Szymusik, A. (1970). Encephalopathia puglilistica (punch drunkenness), Acta Med Pol, 12, pp443-451.

Jellinger, K. (1983). The neuropathology of pediatric head injuries, Pediatric

Head Trauma, Mt. Kisco, NY: Futura Publishing Company, pp143-194.

Jennett, B. (1979). Severity of brain damage. Altered consciousness and other indicators. In G.L. Odom (Ed.) Central Nervous System Trauma Research Status Report, Washington, DC: National Institute of Health, pp204-219.

Jennett, B. (1989). Some international comparisons, Mild Head Injury, ed. Levin, H.S., Eisenberg, H.M. & Benton, A.L., New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Johnson, R.J. (1991). Anatomy of the brain and its coverings, Athletic Injuries to the Head, Neck & Face, ed. Torg, J.S., St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Yearbook, Inc., pp 213-224.

Joon, S.N., Guk, L.S., Jong, P.H., & Kyu, J.S. (1987). An analysis of the

dynamics of the basic taekwondo kicks, U.S. Taekwondo Journal, VI(2), pp10-15.

Jordan, B.D. (1993). Chronic neurologic injuries in boxing, Medical Aspects of Boxing, Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Inc.

Jordan, B.D. (1998). Boxing, Sports Neurology, Second Edition, ed. Jordan, B.D. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven Publishers.

Jordan, B.D. (2000). Head and spine injuries in boxing, Neurologic Athletic Head & Spine Injuries, ed. Cantu, R.C. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company.

Jordan, B.D., Tsairis, P. & Warren, R.F. (1998). Neurologic injuries in boxing, Sports Neurology (Second Ed.), ed. Jordan, B.D., New York, NY: Lippincott-Raven.

Jordan B.D., & Campbell, E.A. (1988). Acute injuries among professional boxers in New York state: A two-year survey, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 16(1), pp87-91.

Kallieris, D, Barz, J, Schmidt, G, Heess, G, & Mattern, R. (1976). Comparison between child cadavers and child dummy by using child restraint systems in simulated collisions, 20th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE, Detroit, MI.

Kandell, E.R., Schwartz, J.H., & Jessell, T.M. (2000). Principles of Neural Science, Fourth Edition, New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.

Kaste, M, Vilkki, J, Sainio, K, Kuurne, T, Katevuo, K, & Meurala, H. (1982). Is chronic brain damage a hazard of the past? The Lancet, November 27, pp1186-88.

Katz, R., & DeLuca, J. (1992). Sequelae of minor traumatic brain injury, American Family Physician, 5, pp1491-1498.

Kelly, J.P. (1999). Traumatic brain injury and concussion in sports, JAMA,

282(10), pp989-991.

Kelly, J.P., Nichols, J.S., Filley, C.M., Lillehei, K.O., Rubenstein, D., &

Kleinschmidt-DeMasters. (1991). Concussion in sport – guidelines for the prevention of catastrophic outcome, JAMA, 266(20), pp2867-2869.

Kelly, J.P., & Rosenberg, J.H. (1997). Diagnosis and management of concussion in sports, Neurology, 48(March), pp575-580.

Kersey, R.D. (1998). Acute subdural hematoma after a reported mild concussion:

a case report, The Journal of Athletic Training, 33(3), pp264-268.

Koiwai, E.K. (1981). Fatalities associated with judo, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 9, pp61-66.

Kolb, B. & Fantie, B. (1998). Development of the Child�??s Brain and Behavior, Sports Neurology (Second Ed.), ed. Jordan, B.D, New York, NY: Lippincott-Raven.

Kozlowski, D.A., James, D.C., Schallert, T. (1996). Use-dependent exaggeration of neuronal injury after unilateral sensorimotor cortex lesions, Journal of Neuroscience, 16, pp4776-4786.

Krantz, K.P.G. & Lowenhielm. (1986). Head and neck injuries, Acta

Neurochirurgica, Supplement 36, pp47-50

Kujala, U.M., Taimela, S., Antii-Poika, I., Orava, S., Tuominen, R. & Myllynen, P.

(1995). Acute injuries in soccer, ice hockey, volleyball, basketball, judo, and karate: analysis of national registry data, British Medical Journal, 311, pp1465-1468.

Label, L.S. (1997). Injuries and disorders of the head and brain, New York, NY: Matthew Bender & Co, Inc.

Lampert, P.W., & Hardman, J.M. (1984). Morphological changes in brains of boxers, JAMA, 251, pp2676-2679.

Laurer, H.L., Bareyre, F.M., Lee, V.M.Y.C., Trojanowski, J.Q., Longhi, L., Hoover, R., Saatman, K.E., Raghupathi, R., Hoshino, S., Grady, M.S., & McIntosh, T.K. (2001). Mild head injury increasing the brain�??s vulnerability to a second concussive impact, Journal of Neurosurgery, 95, pp859-870.

Legwold, G. (1982). Few head injuries found in academy boxing study, Physician & SportsMedicine, 10, pp43-44.

Lehman, L.B. (1987). Nervous system sports-related injuries, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 15, pp494-499.

Lehman, L.B. (1988). Reducing neurologic trauma in sports, New York State Journal of Medicine , 84, pp15-17.

Levin, H.S., Eisenberg, H.M. & Miner, M.E. (1983). Neuropsychologic findings in

head injured children, Pediatric Head Trauma, Mt. Kisco, NY: Futura Publishing Company, Inc., pp223-240.

Lindenberg, R., & Freytag, E. (1960). The mechanisms of cerebral contusions: A pathologic-anatomic study, Archives of Pathology, 69, pp440-69.

Lissner, H.R., Lebow, M., & Evans, F.G. (1960). Experimental studies on the

relation between acceleration and intracranial pressure changes in man, Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics, September, pp329-338.

Lovell, M.R., & Burke, C.J. (2000). Concussions in ice hockey: The National Hockey League Program, Neurologic Athletic Head and Spine Injuries, Cantu, R.C., Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company, pp109-116.

Lowenheim, P. (1975). Mathematical simulation of gliding contusions, Journal of Biomechanics,8, pp351-356.

Lund, S. (1986). Dizziness and vertigo in the posttraumatic syndrome, Acta

Neurochirurgica, Supplement 36, pp118-120.

Macciocchi, S.N., Barth, J.T., Alves, W.M., et al. (1996). Neuropsychological functioning and recovery after mild head injury in collegiate athletes, Neurosurgery, 39, pp510.

Macciocchi, S.N., Barth, J.T., & Littlefield, L.M. (2000). Outcome after sports concussion, Neurologic Athletic Head and Spine Injuries, Cantu, R.C. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company, pp101-107.

Maki, Y., Akimoto, H., & Enomoto, T. (1980). Injuries of basal ganglia following trauma in children, Child�??s Brain, 7, pp113-123.

Martinez, J.L., Wickstrom, J.K. & Barcelo, B.T. (1965). The whiplash injury - A

study of head-neck action and injuries in animals, ASME Paper No. 65-WA/HUF-6.

Martland, H.S. (1928). Punch-Drunk, JAMA, 19, pp1103-1107.

Matser, E.J.T. (1997). Traumatic brain injuries in professional soccer players. Presented at the Sports Related Concussion & Nervous System Injuries Symposium, Orlando, FL, February 8-10.

Matser, E.J.T. (1998). Sports Neurology, (Second Edition), ed. Jordan, B.A. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven Publishers.

Mathias, J.L. & Coats, J.L. (1999). Emotional and cognitive sequelae to mild

traumatic brain injury, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology, 21(2), pp200-215.

Mawdsley, C., & Ferguson, F.R. (1963). Neurological disease in boxers, The Lancet, 2, pp795-801.

McCoy, GF, Piggot, J, Macafee, AL, et al. (1984).Injuries of the cervical spine in schoolboy rugby football, Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, 66(B),

pp500-503.

McCrea, M., Kelly, J.P., Kluge, J., Ackley, B.A., and Randolph, C. (1997). Standardized assessment of concussion in football players, Neurology, 48(March), pp586-588.

McCrea, M., Kelly, J.P., Randolph, C., Kluge, J., Bartolic, E., Finn, G. & Baxter, B. (1998). Standardized assessment of concussion (SAC): On-site mental status evaluation of the athlete, Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, 13(2), pp27-35.

McLatchie, G. (1976). Analysis of karate injuries sustained in 295 contests, Injury: British Journal Acc.Surgery, 8, pp132-134.

McLatchie, G., Brooks, Neil, Galbraith, S., Hutchison, JSF, Wilson, L., Melville, I.,

& Teasdale, E. (1987). Clinical neurological examination, neuropsychology, electroencephalography and computed tomographic head scanning in active amateur boxers, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, 50, pp96-99.

McLatchie, G.R., Davies, J.E., & Caulley, J.H. (1980). Injuries in karate – a case

for medical control, The Journal of Trauma, 20(11), pp956-958.

McIntosh, A.S., Kallieris, D., Mattern, R., & Miltner, E. (1993). Head and neck

injury resulting from low velocity direct impact. Paper 933112, SAE,

pp43-57.

McQuillen, J.B., McQuillen, E.N., & Morrow, P. (1988). Trauma, sport, and malignant cerebral edema, The American Journal of Forensic Medicine & Pathology, 9(1), pp12-15.

Mertz, H.J., Prasad, P., & Irwin, L.A.(1997). Injury risk curves for children and adults in frontal and rear collisions, Proceedings of the Forty-first Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE, pp13-30.

Messerer, O. (1880). Uber Elastiticat und Festigkeit der Menschlichen Knochen,

J.G. Cotta, Stuttgart.

Melvin, J.W. & Evans, F.G. (1971). A strain energy approach to the mechanics of

skull fracture, Proceedings of Fifteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, Ann Arbor, MI, pp666-685.

Middelboe, T., Andersen, H.S., Birket-Smith, M., & Friis, M.L. (1992). Minor head

injury: impact on general health after 1 year. A prospective follow-up study, Acta Neurol Scand, 85, pp5-9.

Milhorat, T.H. (1978). Pediatric Neurosurgery, Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis.

Miller, M., Healy, M., Behan, T. S.& Oler, M.J. (1992).1992 AAU/USA Karate

Championships - an injury profile, Unpublished Study, Crestview Hills, KY.

Moffitt, M.M. & Lieu, D.K. (1995). Impact response of martial arts headgear to

simulated kicks and falls. Master�??s Thesis, University of California, Berkeley, CA.

Moran, G.T.(1992). Kinesiology/biomechanics and tae kwon do. USTU

Instructors Handbook, Fourth Edition, Berkeley, CA.

Mueller, FO, & Cantu, RC. (1990). Catastrophic injuries and fatalities in high school and college sports, fall 1982, Medicine & Science in Sports and Exercise, 22, pp737-41.

Newman, J.A. (1980). Head injury criteria in automotive crash testing, SAE Paper

801317, Proceedings of the 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference,

pp701-747.

New York Department of State (1984). Laws and rules regulating boxing and wrestling matches, New York, NY.

Oler, M., Tomson, W., Pepe, H., Yoon, D., Branoff, R., & Branch, J. (1991).

Morbidity and mortality in the martial arts: a warning, The Journal of Trauma, 31(2), pp251-253.

Ommaya, A.K. (1966). Experimental head injury in the monkey, Head Injury

Conference Proceeding, Philadelphia, PA: J.B. Lippincott, pp260-275.

Ommaya, A.K., Faas, E., & Yarnell, P. (1968). Whiplash injury and brain

damage, JAMA, 204, pp285-289.

Ommaya, A.K. (1998). Biomechanical aspects of head injury in sports, Sports Neurology, (Second Edition), ed. Jordan, B.D, New York, NY: Lippincott- Raven.

Ommaya. A.K. & Gennarelli, T.A. (1974). Cerebral concussion and traumatic

unconsciousness: Correlation of experimental and clinical observations on blunt head injuries, Brain, 97, pp633-654.

Ommaya, AK, & Hirsch, AE. (1971). Protection of the brain from injury during impact: Experimental studies in the biomechanics of head injury, AGARD Conference Proceedings, 88, France.

Ommaya, A.K., Hirsch, A.E., & Harris, E. (1967). Scaling of experimental data on cerebral concussion in subhuman primates to concussive thresholds for man, SAE Paper, Proceedings of the 11th Stapp Car Crash Conference, New York, NY.

Ommaya, A.K., Thibault, L.E., Boock, R.J., & Meaney, D.F. (1994). Head injured patients who talk before deterioration or death: The TADD Syndrome, Head & Neck Injuries, ASTM STP 1229, E.F. Hoerner, ed., Philadelphia, PA: American Society for Testing & Materials.

Ono, K. (1981). Human head tolerance to sagittal impact: Reliable estimation deduced from experimental head injury using subhuman primates and human cadaver skulls, SAE Paper, Proceedings of the 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference, New York, NY.

Oppenheimer, D.R. (1968). Microscopic lesions in the brain following head injury, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry, 31, pp299-306.

Palma, R.A. (1992). Martial arts training from a medical perspective, USTU

Instructors Handbook, Fourth Edition, Berkeley, CA.

Parkinson, D. (1982). The biomechanics of concussion, Clinical Neurosurgery, 29, pp131-145.

Patrick, L.M., Lissmer, H.R., & Gurdjian, E.S. (1963). Survival by design - Head

protection, Proceedings of the Seventh Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE, Springfield, IL .

Pellman, E.J., Viano, D.C., Tucker, A.M., Casson, I.R., & Waeckerle, J.F. (2003). concussion in professional football: Reconconstruction of game impacts and injuries, Neurosurgery, 53(4), pp 799-814.

Pieter, W. (1992). Velocity and momentum of selected techniques by elite

taekwondo athletes, USTU Instructors Handbook, Fourth Edition, Berkeley, CA.

Pieter, W. (1996). Brain injury in elite combative athletes, presented at the 1996 International Pre-Olympic Scientific Congress, Dallas, TX, July 10-14.

Pieter, W., & Bercades, L.T. (1997). Time-loss injuries in taekwondo, ICHPER-

SD, the 40th Anniversary ICHPER-SD World Congress Proceedings, Kyung Hee University, Korea.

Pieter, W., & Heijmans, J. (1997). Scientific Coaching for Olympic Taekwondo.

Aachen, Germany: Meyer & Meyer Verlag.

Pieter, W., van Ryssegem, G., Lufting, R., & Heijmans, J. (1995). Injury situation and injury mechanism at the 1993 European taekwondo cup, Journal of Human Movement Studies, 28, pp1-24.

Pieter, W. & Taaffe, D. (1992a). Isokinetic strength of elite taekwondo athletes,

USTU Instructors Handbook, Fourth Edition, Berkeley, CA.

Pieter, W. & Taaffe, D. (1992b). A rationale for research in taekwondo,

Pieter, W., Taaffe, D., Troxel, R., & Heijmans, J. (1989) Isokinetic peak torque of

the quadriceps and hamstrings of college age taekwondo athletes, Journal of Human Movement Studies, 16, pp17-25.

Pieter, W., Van Ryssegem, G., Lufting, R. & Heijmans, J. (1995). Injury situation

and injury mechanism at the 1993 European Taekwondo Cup, Journal of Human Movement Studies, 28, pp1-24.

Pieter, W., & Zemper, E.D. (1997). Head and neck injuries in adult taekwondo

athletes, Coaching and Sports Science Journal, 2(4), pp7-12.

Pieter, W. & Zemper, E.D. (1997b). Injury rates in children participating in

taekwondo competition, The Journal of Trauma: Injury, Infection, & Critical Care, 43(1).

Pieter, W. & Zemper, E.D. (1999). Head and neck injuries in young taekwondo

athletes, The Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 39(2), pp147-153.

Portnoy, H.D., Benjamin, D., Brian, M., McCoy, L.E., Pince, B., Edgerton, R., and

Young, J. (1970). Intracranial pressure and head acceleration during whiplash, , Proceedings of Fourteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE, Ann Arbor, MI, pp152-168.

Prins, M. Lee, S. Cheng, C., Becker, D., & Hovda, D. (1996). Fluid percussion brain injury in the developing and adult rat: A comparative study of mortality, morphology, intracranial pressure and mean arterial pressure, Developmental Brain Research, pp272-282.

Putnam, P. (1983). Going-going-gone. Sports Illustrated, June 6, pp23-46.

Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology (1997). Practice parameter: The management of concussion in sports (summary statement), Neurology, 48, pp581-585.

Reynolds, C.R. & Fletcher-Janzen, E. (1997). Handbook of Clinical Child

Neuropsychology (Second Ed.), New York, NY: Plenum Press.

Rimel, R.W., Giordani, B., Barth, J.T., Boll, T.J., & Jane, J.A. (1981). Disability

caused by minor head injury, Neurosurgery, 9(3), pp221-227.

Rizzo, M., & Tranel, D. (1996). Head Injury & Postconcussive Syndrome, New York, NY: Churchill Livingstone.

Rochman, S. (1997). Grading heads, Training & Conditioning, VII(6), pp11-18.

Rochman, S. (1999). Heading in the right direction, Training & Conditioning,

IX(7), pp19-24.

Ross, R.J., Casson, I.R., Siegel, O., & Cole, M. (1987). Boxing injuries:

neurologic, radiologic, and neuropsychologic, Clinics in Sports Medicine – Head & Neck Injuries, 6(1), pp41-51.

Ruff, RM, Crouch, JA, Troster, AI, Marshall, LF, Buchsbaum, MS, Lottenberg, S & Somers, LM. (1994). Selected cases of poor outcome following a minor brain trauma: Comparing neuropsychological and positron emission tomography assessment, Head Injury, 8, pp297-308.

Rutherford, W.H., Merrett, J.D., & McDonald, J.R. (1977). Sequelae of concussion caused by minor head injuries, The Lancet, 1, pp1-4.

Ryan, A.J. (1987). Intracranial injuries resulting from boxing: a review (1918-

1985), Clinics in Sports Medicine – Head & Neck Injuries, 6(1), pp31-40.

Ryan, A.J. (1991). Intracranial injuries resulting from boxing, Athletic Injuries to the Head, Neck, & Face, ed. Torg, J.S., St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Yearbook, Inc., pp 55-71.

Ryan, A.J. (1998). Intracranial injuries resulting from boxing, Clinics in Sports

Medicine – Neurologic Athletic Head and Neck Injuries, 17(1), pp155-167.

Saunders, R.L. & Harbaugh, R.E. (1984). The second impact in catastrophic contact-sports head trauma, JAMA, 252, pp538-539.

Schallert, T., Kozlowski, D.A., Humm, J.L., & Cocke, R.R. (1997). Use-dependent structural events in recovery of function, Advances in Neurology, 73, pp229-238.

Schwartz, M.L., Hudson, A.R., Fernie, G.R., Hayashi, K., & Coleclough, A.A. (1986). Biomechanical study of full-contact karate contrasted with boxing, Journal of Neurosurgery, 64, pp248-252.

Segalowitz, S.J., & Rose-Krasnor, L. (1992). The construct of brain maturation in theories of child development, Brain & Cognition, 20, pp1-7.

Sekino, H., Nakamura, N., Yuki, K., Satoh, J., Kikuchi, K., & Sanada, S. (1981). Brain lesions detected by CT scans in cases of minor head injuries, Neurologica Medico Chirurgica, 21, p 677-683.

Serel, M., & Jaros, O. (1962). The mechanisms of cerebral concussion in boxing and their consequences, World Neurology, 3, pp351-358.

Serina, E.R. & Lieu, D.K. (1991). Thoracic injury potential of basic competition

taekwondo kicks, Journal of Biomechanics, 24(10), pp951-960.

Serina, E.R. & Lieu, D.K. (1992). Biomechanics of basic tae kwon do kicks, .

Shapiro, K. (1983). Care and evaluation of the conscious head injured child,

Pediatric Head Trauma, Mount Kisco, NY: Futura Publishing Company, pp11-26.

Shelness, A., & Seymour, C. (1975). Children as passengers in automobiles: The neglected minority on the nation�??s highways, Pediatrics, 56(2), pp271-84.

Siegel, AW. (1968). Injuries to children in automobile collisions, 12th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE, Detroit, MI.

Shatsky, S.A., Alter, W.A., III, & Evans, D.E. (1974). Traumatic distortions of the

primate head and chest: correlation of biomechanical, radiological and pathological data, Proceedings of Eighteenth Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE, Ann Arbor, MI, pp351-381.

Skolnick, EJ. (1999). Concussions: A heads-up, The Palm Beach Post, November 21 (Section B), pp1-11.

Slobodnik, B.A. (1980). Helmet damage and head injury correlation, SPH-4 U.S. Army Aeromedical Research Laboratory, Human Tolerance and Survivability Division, Biomedical Tolerance, Fort Rucker, AL.

Smith, D.J. (1988). Ocular injuries in boxing, Prevention of ocular sports injuries, Vinger, P.F. ed., International Ophthalmology Clinics, Boston, MA: Little, Brown & Co.

Smith, P., and Hamill, J. (1985). Karate and boxing glove impact characteristics as functions of velocity and repeated impact, Biomechanics in Sports III, Terauds & Barham (eds.), Del Mar, CA: Academic Publishers.

Smodlaka, V.M. (1984). Medical aspects of heading the ball in soccer, The Physician & Sportsmedicine, 12, pp127-131.

Snoek, J.W. (1989). Mild head injury in children, Mild Head Injury, Levin, H.S., Eisenberg, H.M. & Benton, A.L., ed., New York, NY: Oxford University Press.

Snyder, RG. (1969). Impact injury tolerance of infants and children in free fall, Proceedings of the 13th AAAM Conference, IL, USA.

Spatz, H. (1950). Brain trauma in aviation in German aviation medicine in World War II. Surgeon General�??s Office, U.S. Air Force Department.

Sports Medicine Committee. (1991). Guidelines for the Management of Concussion in Sports, Publication by the Colorado Medical Society, Denver, CO.

Stalhammar, D. (1986). Experimental models of head injury, Acta

Neurochirurgica, Supplement 36, pp33-46.

Stalnaker, R.L., & McElhaney, J.H. (1970). Head injury tolerance for linear

impacts by mechanical impedance methods, ASME, 70-WA/BHF-4.

Stapp, J.P., Mosley, J.D., Lombard, C.F., & Nelson, G.A. (1964). Analysis and biodynamics of selected rocket-sled experiments, Publication of USAF School of Aerospace Medicine, Aerospace Medical Division (AFSC), Contract # AF41(609)-2317, Brooks Air Force Base, TX.

Stewart, WF, Gordon, B, Selnes, O, Bandeen-Roche, K, Zeger, S, Tusa, RJ, Celentano, DD, Shechter, A, Liberman, J, Hall, C, Simon, D, Lesser, R & Randall, RD. (1994). Prospective study of central nervous system function in amateur boxers in the United States, American Journal of Epidemiology, 139, pp573-588.

Strich, S.J. (1956). Diffuse degeneration of cerebral white matter in severe dementia, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 19,

pp163-185.

Strich, S.J. (1969). The pathology of brain damage due to blunt head injuries, Late Effects of Head Injury, ed. A.E. Walker, W.F. Caveness & M. Critchley, Springfield, IL: C.C. Thomas, pp501-524.

Sturtz, G. (1980a). Correlation of dummy-loadings with real injuries of children by repetition tests, 5th International Conference on Biomechanics of Impacts, IRCOBI, Birmingham, England.

Sturtz, G. (1980b). Biomechanical data of children, 24th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE, Troy, MI.

Stuss, D.T. (1992). Biological and psychological development of executive functions, Brain & Cognition, 20, pp8-23.

Thatcher, R.W. (1992). Cyclic cortical reorganization during early childhood, Brain & Cognition, 20, pp24-50.

Thomas, M. & Prince, P. (1987). Capacite d�??attenuation d�??impact et duree de vie de protecteuse de pied utilizes dans la pratique de sports de combat, Canadian Journal of Sports Sciences, 12(3), pp136-143.

Thomas, L.M., Robert, V.C., & Gurdjian, E.S. (1966). Experimental intracranial

pressure gradients in the human skull, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatrist, 29, pp404-444.

Torg, J.S. (1982). Athletic Injuries to the Head, Neck, and Face, Philadelphia,

PA: Lea & Febiger.

Townsend, M.A., McCammond, & Lie, G. (1975). Response of human and

anthropometric model skulls to impact loading, Medical and Biological Engineering, 13(3), pp405-413.

Tysvaer, A, & Lochen, E. (1991). Soccer injuries to the brain: A neuropsychologic study of former soccer players, American Journal of Sports Medicine, 19, pp56-60.

Tysvaer, A., Storli, O., & Bachen, N. (1989). Soccer injuries to the brain. A neurologic and electroencephalographic study of former players, Acta Neurologica Scandinavic, 80, pp151-156.

United States of America Amateur Boxing. (1990). Ringside Physician�??s Certification Manual, Publication of the USA Amateur Boxing, Sports Medicine Committee, Colorado Springs, CO.

United Stated Taekwondo Union (USTU). (2000). USTU National Office, One

Olympic Plaza, Suite 104C, Colorado Springs, CO, 80909.

United Stated Taekwondo Union (USTU). (2001). USTU National Office, One

Olympic Plaza, Suite 104C, Colorado Springs, CO, 80909.

United Stated Taekwondo Union (USTU). (2002). USTU National Office, One

Olympic Plaza, Suite 104C, Colorado Springs, CO, 80909

USTU Referee Manual. (1999). USTU Referee Seminar Manual. USTU National

Office, One Olympic Plaza, Suite 104C, Colorado Springs, CO, 80909.

Unterharnscheidt, F.J. (1994). The historical and medical aspects in boxing, Head and neck injuries in sports, ASTM STP 1229, ed. E.F. Hoerner, Philadelphia, PA: American Society for Testing & Materials.

Viano, D.C. (1988). Biomechanics of head injury – toward a theory linking head

dynamic motion, brain tissue deformation and neural trauma, Paper 881708, SAE.

Viano, D.C., & Lau, I.V. (1988). A viscous tolerance criterion for soft tissue injury assessment, Journal of Biomechanics, 21(5), pp387-399.

Viano, D.C., & Lovsund. (1999). Biomechanics of brain and spinal cord injury: Analysis of neuropathologic and neurophysiologic experiments, Crash Prevention and Injury Control, 1(1).

Visco, S (1998). The Colors of Taekwon-Do, Taekwon-Do Times, Jan.

Welch, M.J., Sitler, M., & Kroeten, H. (1986). Boxing injuries from an instructional program, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, 14, pp81-89.

Whang, SC, Whang, JC, & Saltz, B (1999). The State of the Art: Taekwondo,

New York, NY: Broadway Books.

Witol, A. (1995). Neuropsychological deficits associated with differing exposure to heading and experience in soccer. Paper presented at the American Psychological Association Annual Convention, Washington, DC, August.

Yikoski, R., Yikoski, A., Erkinjutti, T., Sukova, R., Raininko, R., & Tilvis, R. (1993). White matter changes in healthy elderly persons correlate with speed of information processing, Archives in Neurology, 50, pp818-824.

Zemper, E.D., & Pieter, W. (1989). Injury rates during the 1988 US Olympic

Team Trials for taekwondo, British Journal of Sports Medicine, 23(3), pp161-164.

Zemper, E.D. & Pieter, W. (1990). Two-year prospective study of injury rates in

national taekwondo competition, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 22(2), ppS130.

Zemper, E.D. & Pieter, W. (1991). IA two-year prospective study of taekwondo injuries at national competitions, International Congress & Exposition on Sports Medicine & Human Performance, Vancouver, B.C., Canada.

Zemper, E.D., & Pieter, W. (1994). Cerebral concussion in taekwondo athletes, Head and Neck Injuries in Sports, ASTM STP 1229, ed. Hoerner, E.F., Philadelphia, PA: American Society f

[quote]
That is a ridiculous rationalisation. Just because kids can get crippled with football doesn’t make it okay to cripple them with martial arts. I know a lot of grown men who are limping around on limbs they damaged years or even decades ago in high school football. Besides the amount of time in a football game that is spent actually getting hit is a fraction of the time. [/quote]

there’s golfers with bad hips
wrestlers with bad backs
bowlers with carpal
weightlifters with hernias
moms with bad backs
injuries happen

[quote]
Have you ever seen Frank Shamrock fight? The guy is a meathead who doesn’t give a fuck about getting hit. I wouldn’t want him teaching one of my kids. [/quote]

name one champion or elite fighter who cares about getting hit.
but i digress. frank is a legend, a pioneer, and an innovator. he is one of the very first icons of this new sport called mma.
if you want anyone teaching your kids, it would be frank shamrock.

[quote]
Let me add that just because you have been taught how to something properly it doesn’t mean you are actually going to do it when it counts the most in a fight. In fighting you can make one mistake and be seriously damaged. I know people who have been seriously injured doing demos, where the idea was not to hurt someone. [/quote]

and thats not your responsibility. if you really care about children’s well being, sell all your belongings and sponser hundreds of the starving kids in africa and around the world. in the words of ron paul, stop policing the world.

[quote]
This is why it is bad to have kids fighting full contact, because one mistake can leave them damaged for life at a time when they really don’t need to be doing it. It’s huge risks for no payoff. [/quote]

again, injuries can happen, in ANY sport. refer back to the first paragraph.
and no payoff? oscar de le hoya has been boxing since he was 9, in the ring. he started practicing even before that. right now he owns a lucrative promotional company, an outstanding and accomplished boxer, a recording artist, etc etc.

[quote]
The striking can do damage. Beating on heavy bags can do damage to growing bones. In children the ends of their bones have a structure called the growth plate, damage that growth plate and you damage their growth. Dumps can do serious damage. You can cripple or kill someone with a dump. [/quote]

i have tons of friends who’ve boxed and wrestled since 5 - 8 and most of them grew above 5’10. where the hell do you get this shit??!? what about kyokushin. limb and bone strengthening. repeatedly kneeing, punching, elbowing, and headbutting rocks and wood.

martial arts is not meant for killing you damn fool. guns and samurai swords are meant for killing, hence have u ever heard of gunfoo??? didnt think so. tae kwon do. developed as a defensive protocol against the communists. aikido, similar entity. kung fu, buddhists needed to learn how to defend. kyokushin, same.
you dont even know about the art that you practice.

[quote]
what about kids in boxing? no one has ever said shit about it, and if they did, it never reached a level where politics got involved. -ZN

It really depends on who is doing the teaching. In general boxers are not taught to just stand there and take a beating. But even with boxing you have to be careful with what the kids are getting into and how soon. Boxing is a narrowly focused art with boxing there are a lot less variables that have to be learned and watched out for. [/quote]

so you’re for boxing but not mma… and supposedly only boxing teaches you how to avoid getting hit… lol

[quote]

No they don’t. In restling you don’t get slammed on your head then receive a flurry of follow up blows. Nor do you recieve blows to the head then dumped. Wrestling doesn’t involve a lot of joint locking which can damage developing joints. [/quote]

and you would say that because you have no wrestling experience. and if u do, i guarantee you were a sorry ass wrestler.

-power half nelson
-cross face cradle
-bow and arrow
-switch from bottom
-sweep single
-arm bar (not the same as mma)
-gable bar

just a short list of moves one can use to pin, takedown, or inflict pain or even injure your opponent. i cracked a kids ribs his first day of practice while doing a crossface cradle, bring his head to the knee… you wrestlers will know what i mean.

[quote]
The only reason why a person would be able to tapout of a joint lock is because you are being nice. If you apply a joint lock right you are going to destroy the joint before your opponent even has a chance to tap. [/quote]

wow

[quote]
One last thing about Wrestling and Jiu Jitsu. These are individual arts. As such one could easily spend several years learning the techniques, theory, principles and training in them before they get good. Traditionally in the Orient it was expected that one would spend at least five years studying Karate to earn a black belt.

If a child is not good at both the ground fighting and the stand up they really don’t need to be spending a lot of time doing MMA. [/quote]

and that kid should just find something he’s good at in under 2 days. got it. oh and YOU ARE TOTALLY CONTRADICTING YOURSELF.

[quote]
and that ring age thing… alexander karelin started wrestling when he was about 10 years old, maybe younger. he was well into his 30’s dominating world class athletes. and those athletes as well have probably started very young. fedor started doing sambo and other grappling at a very young age also. look at him now. injury free, famous, healthy, and undisputed. -ZN

Have you watched Karelin fight? He might be a great wrestler but he is pathetic if he can’t get ahold of you. He eats shots like they are candy. Besides he hasn’t been eating shots in MMA since he was ten. [/quote]

alexander karelin has never fought an mma bout, nor has he done any type of competition including striking. your credibility has jus fallin off the map.

nope, they didnt start sambo until their teens. they started off with judo and naturally progressed from there. and no, fedor never really took a pounding from anyone besides, nog, cro cop, and fujita. everyone else he jus ran through like a fuckin mack truck.

im starting to regret even trying to refute your statements. its so bad.

[quote]
There is a hell of a lot of competition and very little room at the top. A kid is going to have more chances of winning American Idol than becoming a world champion fighter. [/quote]

SO PARENTS… SEND YOUR KIDS TO SINGING SCHOOL INSTEAD OF A GYM!!!

[quote]
How do you know Fedor doesn’t have injuries? Have you seen all the people he has fought? Of course he has injuries. To do full contact martial arts you have to learn to live with pain. The thing I found works best is denial I tell myself “it didn’t hurt me” even when it does. All those fighters have injuries, pain and scars. [/quote]

fedor has never had a serious injury up until he fought tim sylvia and fractured a bone in his hand. but seriously, how can you bitch about scars and pain when you do kyokushin. that martial art is the epitome of pain and scars.

[quote]
And how long have you been studying martial arts? Have you been studying long enough to remember the Ninja craze of the Eighties? I can remember how a lot of lay idiots were going around saying “Those Ninjas are something else”. “Do you do Ninjitsu”? [/quote]

i practiced kawasakism, hondaism, the art of eating, tae kwon do, street fighting, bullying, and etc since i was like 8 and shit. im so not awesome.

[quote]
I have grown to enjoy watching MMA matches but I don’t believe everything I read in the press or see on tv. Dana White is not the worlds foremost martial arts expert but he is a good salesman. Don’t believe the hype. Yes his fighters are tough and a few of them have good skills, but it isn’t the pinnacle of martial arts, any more than crappy Xience is the pinnacle of supplements. So get real. [/quote]

XIENCE DOESNT EVEN SPONSER UFC ANYMORE DIPSHIT

AND WTF, I THOUGHT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT THE KIDS… WHAT ABOUT THE KIDSSS!!!

Martial arts are certainly for killing and crippling. Kind of the idea of war.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

That is a ridiculous rationalisation. Just because kids can get crippled with football doesn’t make it okay to cripple them with martial arts. I know a lot of grown men who are limping around on limbs they damaged years or even decades ago in high school football. Besides the amount of time in a football game that is spent actually getting hit is a fraction of the time.

there’s golfers with bad hips
wrestlers with bad backs
bowlers with carpal
weightlifters with hernias
moms with bad backs
injuries happen [/quote]

Again with the ridiculous rationalisations. With the possible exception of wrestling none of those activities you listed involves getting in a ring with someone who is intentionally trying to hurt you. [quote]

Have you ever seen Frank Shamrock fight? The guy is a meathead who doesn’t give a fuck about getting hit. I wouldn’t want him teaching one of my kids.

name one champion or elite fighter who cares about getting hit.
but i digress. frank is a legend, a pioneer, and an innovator. he is one of the very first icons of this new sport called mma.
if you want anyone teaching your kids, it would be frank shamrock. [/quote]

Lyoto Machida. Frank did well in MMA, but I would not teach a kid to fight the way he fights, he eats up too much abuse.

Children are not elite fighters. If you train them to fight like most of the elite fighters do, by the time they become adults they will be so damaged they won’t make it as elite fighters. [quote]

Let me add that just because you have been taught how to something properly it doesn’t mean you are actually going to do it when it counts the most in a fight. In fighting you can make one mistake and be seriously damaged. I know people who have been seriously injured doing demos, where the idea was not to hurt someone.

and thats not your responsibility. if you really care about children’s well being, sell all your belongings and sponser hundreds of the starving kids in africa and around the world. in the words of ron paul, stop policing the world. [/quote]

A teacher is responsible for what happens in their school and parents are responsible for their kids.

Full contact fighting is very unforgiving, I know quite a few people who made one little slip up and ended up in a hospital. My Osteopath has made more money off of my studying karate than my teacher.

[quote]
This is why it is bad to have kids fighting full contact, because one mistake can leave them damaged for life at a time when they really don’t need to be doing it. It’s huge risks for no payoff.

again, injuries can happen, in ANY sport. refer back to the first paragraph. [/quote]

There is a huge difference in the kinds of injuries that can happen in sports and fighting. Usually in sports the injuries are the result of unintentional accidents. In fighting most of the injuries are the intentional result of beating the hell out of someone. Then there are the accidents. There is no comparison.

[quote]
and no payoff? oscar de le hoya has been boxing since he was 9, in the ring. he started practicing even before that. right now he owns a lucrative promotional company, an outstanding and accomplished boxer, a recording artist, etc etc. [/quote]

The payoff I was refferring to was producing a better fighter. I wasn’t even refferring to the money which is only there for a very select few.

Oscar De La Hoya’ grandfather and father were boxers. His career was very carefully and intelligently handled. ODLH professional career started out as a super featherweight, then moved up to lightweight, then light welterweight, then welterweight, then super welterweight, then light middleweight, then middleweight. Every time he moved up a weight class and took the title in that class he gained experience.

His handlers didn’t just throw him to the wolves and get him tore up. They very carefully managed his career so he would not get uneccessarily injured. His whole career has been handled with intelligence and discipline. That is why he is where he is at today.

[quote]
The striking can do damage. Beating on heavy bags can do damage to growing bones. In children the ends of their bones have a structure called the growth plate, damage that growth plate and you damage their growth. Dumps can do serious damage. You can cripple or kill someone with a dump.

i have tons of friends who’ve boxed and wrestled since 5 - 8 and most of them grew above 5’10. where the hell do you get this shit??!? what about kyokushin. limb and bone strengthening. repeatedly kneeing, punching, elbowing, and headbutting rocks and wood. [/quote]

How tall you grow is dictated by genetics. The growth plate on the end of the bone is pratically a soft tissue it is not hardened bone and it usually forms part of a joint. It is not something you want to damage.

That bone hardening and nerve deadening is not healthy and it has to be done very carefully. I really would not recommend it for kids and it really isn’t needed for adults.

[quote]
i am not downplaying football. injuries happen in every sport, even badminton. -ZN

But you are seriously down playing martial arts by comparing them to sports. Martial arts is not a sport. Martial means military. These military arts are meant to kill. We may tone them down so we can make a sport out of them, but these arts originally were meant to kill. They were not developed to be sports. They were not meant to be sports. They were meant for the deadly serious business of killing. Too many lay people are not respecting what these arts are or what they are capable of.

martial arts is not meant for killing you damn fool. guns and samurai swords are meant for killing, hence have u ever heard of gunfoo??? didnt think so. tae kwon do. developed as a defensive protocol against the communists. aikido, similar entity. kung fu, buddhists needed to learn how to defend. kyokushin, same.
you dont even know about the art that you practice. [/quote]

You are one clueless idiot. The Okinawans who developed Karate did not own guns and they were not allowed to own knives. They developed Karate as a form of self defense. Karate is not a game and the Okinawans were not playing around. Karate is what they used to go to war.

[quote]
what about kids in boxing? no one has ever said shit about it, and if they did, it never reached a level where politics got involved. -ZN

It really depends on who is doing the teaching. In general boxers are not taught to just stand there and take a beating. But even with boxing you have to be careful with what the kids are getting into and how soon. Boxing is a narrowly focused art with boxing there are a lot less variables that have to be learned and watched out for.

so you’re for boxing but not mma… and supposedly only boxing teaches you how to avoid getting hit… lol [/quote]

I didn’t say only boxing teaches evasion. In MMA evasion is highly unusual. Most MMA fighters will just stand there like an idiot and get hit. A lot of the fighters are wrestlers who learned a little about stand up fighting so they can stay in a fight long enough to drag the other guy to the ground. That is why they take so much abuse in the stand up.

[quote]

No they don’t. In restling you don’t get slammed on your head then receive a flurry of follow up blows. Nor do you recieve blows to the head then dumped. Wrestling doesn’t involve a lot of joint locking which can damage developing joints.

and you would say that because you have no wrestling experience. and if u do, i guarantee you were a sorry ass wrestler.

-power half nelson
-cross face cradle
-bow and arrow
-switch from bottom
-sweep single
-gable bar [/quote]

just a short list of moves one can use to pin, takedown, or inflict pain or even injure your opponent. i cracked a kids ribs his first day of practice while doing a crossface cradle, bring his head to the knee… you wrestlers will know what i mean. [/quote]

Generally they are not the same kinds of locks, wrestling is a sport where you are not trying to cripple the other guy. Besides in MMA a lot of very useful joint locks are banned because it would be too easy to injure someone with them.

[quote]
The only reason why a person would be able to tapout of a joint lock is because you are being nice. If you apply a joint lock right you are going to destroy the joint before your opponent even has a chance to tap.

wow

If a child is not good at both the ground fighting and the stand up they really don’t need to be spending a lot of time doing MMA.

and that kid should just find something he’s good at in under 2 days. got it. oh and YOU ARE TOTALLY CONTRADICTING YOURSELF. [/quote]

Why don’t you reread what I wrote moron. If a kid isn’t skilled at both stand up and ground fighting there is little point in getting them injured by rushing them into fighting full contact.

For all the stupid shit you have come up with you still have not made a rational case as to why kids need to be rushed into full contact. Full contact fighting is damaging even crippling. There is no benefit to getting a fighter injured before they are matured.

[quote]
and that ring age thing… alexander karelin started wrestling when he was about 10 years old, maybe younger. he was well into his 30’s dominating world class athletes. and those athletes as well have probably started very young. fedor started doing sambo and other grappling at a very young age also. look at him now. injury free, famous, healthy, and undisputed. -ZN

Have you watched Karelin fight? He might be a great wrestler but he is pathetic if he can’t get ahold of you. He eats shots like they are candy. Besides he hasn’t been eating shots in MMA since he was ten.

alexander karelin has never fought an mma bout, nor has he done any type of competition including striking. your credibility has jus fallin off the map. [/quote]

If he has never fought in MMA why did you offer him up as an example of someone in MMA? I would say if anyone is contradicting themselves it is you.

I based my comments on his performance in MMA on these videos of him fighting. I say you are the one who has shot through their credibility.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1009078311483133148&ei=vd2YSMvwE4jkrQL89IXrDA&q=alexander+karelin&vt=lf&hl=en

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1009078311483133148&ei=vd2YSMvwE4jkrQL89IXrDA&q=alexander+karelin&vt=lf&hl=en

[quote]
Yes Fedor did Sambo at a young age. It is a physical grappling art, but he wasn’t taking a pounding like he has in Pride. Most importantly the man is what we call talented. You can’t teach talent. A good teacher can help develop talent but they can’t teach it. That is why Fedor is undisputed and rich. So get real. It is not every kid who has a dream who is going to be a Fedor.

nope, they didnt start sambo until their teens. they started off with judo and naturally progressed from there. and no, fedor never really took a pounding from anyone besides, nog, cro cop, and fujita. everyone else he jus ran through like a fuckin mack truck.

im starting to regret even trying to refute your statements. its so bad. [/quote]

Fedor is one of my favorite fighters but I am not a fanboy. Besides you are the one who stated that Fedor started Sambo at a very young age. Dumbass.

Just because he has been winning it doesn’t mean he hasn’t taken his shots. He’s avoided taking a really bad beating because of his skills and he has been winning. But he still gets beat on.

[quote]
There is a hell of a lot of competition and very little room at the top. A kid is going to have more chances of winning American Idol than becoming a world champion fighter.

SO PARENTS… SEND YOUR KIDS TO SINGING SCHOOL INSTEAD OF A GYM!!! [/quote]

That wasn’t my point. But most kids would be better served with music lessons.

[quote]
How do you know Fedor doesn’t have injuries? Have you seen all the people he has fought? Of course he has injuries. To do full contact martial arts you have to learn to live with pain. The thing I found works best is denial I tell myself “it didn’t hurt me” even when it does. All those fighters have injuries, pain and scars.

fedor has never had a serious injury up until he fought tim sylvia and fractured a bone in his hand. but seriously, how can you bitch about scars and pain when you do kyokushin. that martial art is the epitome of pain and scars. [/quote]

That’s probably why I don’t do Kyokushin. I practice Isshinryu. Admittedly there is not much difference in the pain department and I do have scars. When I was twenty three my Osteopath was looking at some of my x-rays and said I look very old for my age.

All the injuries I got when I was young is how I know what I am talking about. I’m just glad I wasn’t a black belt back when my teacher was practicing knife fighting with real knives.

My point was there is a lot of salesmanship going on with the UFC and a lot of people who don’t know much are buying into it.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:

[/quote]

Yes but defensive in the sense that you could kill or maim your opponent.
I doubt that shaolin kung fu was “invented” to block punches and kicks.
All martial arts have a history in violence. A martial art that does not evolve due to violence is not a true martial art. Ir’s a sport. Can you argue that archery is not a form of combat? Today it’s used only to hunt and play games (who has better aim, etc) but the purpose of it was to kill.
Now a days there is no need for it because of guns and such.
However the original point of a fighting system was to kill.
Martial arts WERE made for killing.

[quote]Sifu wrote:

Again with the ridiculous rationalisations. With the possible exception of wrestling none of those activities you listed involves getting in a ring with someone who is intentionally trying to hurt you. [/quote]

whens the last time u heard of an mma fighter suffer from a serious injury… anyone ever permanently injured? nah
you fail again

you see more injuries in soccer football and even baseball

i already know the one fight that you saw frank in. frank vs bas rutten. and that is the only time he let himself get pummeled. and it was bas rutten he was fighting. and please give me the source where machida claims that he minds getting hit.

[quote]

A teacher is responsible for what happens in their school and parents are responsible for their kids.

Full contact fighting is very unforgiving, I know quite a few people who made one little slip up and ended up in a hospital. My Osteopath has made more money off of my studying karate than my teacher.[/quote]

naw really, i thought full contact didnt feel like anything

it REALLY bothers me when you try to make shit up. de la hoya was indeed fed to the wolves. his dad made him train for over 5 hours a day, everyday after school. oscar wasnt allowed to play basketball. he was put up against much older and heavier kids.
his LIFE was boxing.

again you blatantly contradict yourself. you practice it, but you claim you dont need it. you say it stunts your growth, but now its dictated by genetics. which one is it?

re read what i wrote, and then what you wrote. you are just repeating my words. SELF DEFENSE.

that is why wrestlers are the most successful fighters in virtually every mma org. you just keep digging that hole guy.

[quote]

-power half nelson
-cross face cradle
-bow and arrow
-switch from bottom
-sweep single
-gable bar

just a short list of moves one can use to pin, takedown, or inflict pain or even injure your opponent. i cracked a kids ribs his first day of practice while doing a crossface cradle, bring his head to the knee… you wrestlers will know what i mean.

Generally they are not the same kinds of locks, wrestling is a sport where you are not trying to cripple the other guy. Besides in MMA a lot of very useful joint locks are banned because it would be too easy to injure someone with them.[/quote]

and you say this with no grappling experience, nor are you familiar with any of the moves ive mentioned.

a power half is when you are on top and place your forearm or elbow on the opponents neck. from there you proceed to hook the other arm and crank it so that the arm on one side, is forced to the other ear.

bow and arrow. your head digs into the opponents ribs and spine as you forcefully try to converge his neck to the knee.

a switch. from bottom position you hip heist out locking the opponents arm, much like a kimura without a grip, and lean into the joint causing the elbow to hyperextend and bringing the guys hips and shoulders down.

please quote where i say that kids should jump right into full contact sparring. you do that for me, and ill hand you a brownie.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

jesus man, you suck really bad.

those are pro wrestling matches… meaning that they, are… fixed.

WOW…

just WOW

so you like fedor but you downplay kids who start training in ways that he has.

im sorry man, you fail, real bad.

[quote]

SO PARENTS… SEND YOUR KIDS TO SINGING SCHOOL INSTEAD OF A GYM!!!

That wasn’t my point. But most kids would be better served with music lessons. [/quote]

(speechless)

And how long have you been studying martial arts? Have you been studying long enough to remember the Ninja craze of the Eighties? I can remember how a lot of lay idiots were going around saying “Those Ninjas are something else”. “Do you do Ninjitsu”?

i practiced kawasakism, hondaism, the art of eating, tae kwon do, street fighting, bullying, and etc since i was like 8 and shit. im so not awesome.

I have grown to enjoy watching MMA matches but I don’t believe everything I read in the press or see on tv. Dana White is not the worlds foremost martial arts expert but he is a good salesman. Don’t believe the hype. Yes his fighters are tough and a few of them have good skills, but it isn’t the pinnacle of martial arts, any more than crappy Xience is the pinnacle of supplements. So get real.

XIENCE DOESNT EVEN SPONSER UFC ANYMORE DIPSHIT

AND WTF, I THOUGHT WE WERE TALKING ABOUT THE KIDS… WHAT ABOUT THE KIDSSS!!!

My point was there is a lot of salesmanship going on with the UFC and a lot of people who don’t know much are buying into it. [/quote]

so you like fedor, but you hate mma…

lets stop this dude. it was funny at first but you just cant win. i feel embarrassed for you actually.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Again with the ridiculous rationalisations. With the possible exception of wrestling none of those activities you listed involves getting in a ring with someone who is intentionally trying to hurt you.

whens the last time u heard of an mma fighter suffer from a serious injury… anyone ever permanently injured? nah
you fail again

[/quote]

Almost every kid in my neighborhood plays or has played soccer and baseball. None of them do MMA.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
Sifu wrote:

Again with the ridiculous rationalisations. With the possible exception of wrestling none of those activities you listed involves getting in a ring with someone who is intentionally trying to hurt you.

you fail again

[/quote]

How old are you, punk?

I’ve probably been studying martial arts longer than you have been alive. I don’t need to tune into UFC or mmafanboy.com to know the kinds of injuries that occur in martial arts.

[quote]

Lyoto Machida. Frank did well in MMA, but I would not teach a kid to fight the way he fights, he eats up too much abuse.

i already know the one fight that you saw frank in. frank vs bas rutten. and that is the only time he let himself get pummeled. and it was bas rutten he was fighting. and please give me the source where machida claims that he minds getting hit. [/quote]

I have seen a few of Franks fights. He doesn’t move well.

Watch Machida’s fight with Tito Ortiz sometime. Dana White was the one who commented that Machida is so unusual with his fighting style because he doesn’t stand there and get hit.

Evasion is a very important part of martial arts, yet most socalled mixed martial artists don’t do it. It might impress lay idiots like you to see two guys go toe to toe and just wail away at each other, but it’s not an intelligent way to fight and it’s something that will get you killed out on the street.

Probably because your only experience with it is watching it on TV.

[quote]

The payoff I was refferring to was producing a better fighter. I wasn’t even refferring to the money which is only there for a very select few.

Oscar De La Hoya’ grandfather and father were boxers. His career was very carefully and intelligently handled. ODLH professional career started out as a super featherweight, then moved up to lightweight, then light welterweight, then welterweight, then super welterweight, then light middleweight, then middleweight. Every time he moved up a weight class and took the title in that class he gained experience.

His handlers didn’t just throw him to the wolves and get him tore up. They very carefully managed his career so he would not get uneccessarily injured. His whole career has been handled with intelligence and discipline. That is why he is where he is at today.

it REALLY bothers me when you try to make shit up. de la hoya was indeed fed to the wolves. his dad made him train for over 5 hours a day, everyday after school. oscar wasnt allowed to play basketball. he was put up against much older and heavier kids.
his LIFE was boxing. [/quote]

Training five hours a day isn’t getting thrown to the wolves. Look at his professional career he started out as a super featherweight and worked his way up to middleweight.

No I am not contradicting myself. Lay off the drugs dumbass and maybe you will be able to follow a sentence. I don’t do that shit to myself it’s not neccessary and it’s unhealthy.

[quote]

You are one clueless idiot. The Okinawans who developed Karate did not own guns and they were not allowed to own knives. They developed Karate as a form of self defense. Karate is not a game and the Okinawans were not playing around. Karate is what they used to go to war.

re read what i wrote, and then what you wrote. you are just repeating my words. SELF DEFENSE. [/quote]

Yes Self Defense. Back in the day it was no thing to maim or kill someone who attacked you.

[quote]

I didn’t say only boxing teaches evasion. In MMA evasion is highly unusual. Most MMA fighters will just stand there like an idiot and get hit. A lot of the fighters are wrestlers who learned a little about stand up fighting so they can stay in a fight long enough to drag the other guy to the ground. That is why they take so much abuse in the stand up.

that is why wrestlers are the most successful fighters in virtually every mma org. you just keep digging that hole guy. [/quote]

MMA rules make it safe for wrestlers to compete. There are plenty of fighters who didn’t come from wrestling who are dominant in MMA.

[quote]

-power half nelson
-cross face cradle
-bow and arrow
-switch from bottom
-sweep single
-gable bar

Generally they are not the same kinds of locks, wrestling is a sport where you are not trying to cripple the other guy. Besides in MMA a lot of very useful joint locks are banned because it would be too easy to injure someone with them.

and you say this with no grappling experience, nor are you familiar with any of the moves ive mentioned. [/quote]

Actually I have studied Chin Na. I just don’t study wrestling. I am sure I could throw a lot of terms out that you would not know what I am talking about, even if you actually knew the move I was describing. So why don’t you try harder to be a punk.

[quote]

a power half is when you are on top and place your forearm or elbow on the opponents neck. from there you proceed to hook the other arm and crank it so that the arm on one side, is forced to the other ear.

bow and arrow. your head digs into the opponents ribs and spine as you forcefully try to converge his neck to the knee.

a switch. from bottom position you hip heist out locking the opponents arm, much like a kimura without a grip, and lean into the joint causing the elbow to hyperextend and bringing the guys hips and shoulders down.

For all the stupid shit you have come up with you still have not made a rational case as to why kids need to be rushed into full contact. Full contact fighting is damaging even crippling. There is no benefit to getting a fighter injured before they are matured.

please quote where i say that kids should jump right into full contact sparring. you do that for me, and ill hand you a brownie. [/quote]

You are the one who thinks kids should be getting into MMA.

[quote]

alexander karelin has never fought an mma bout, nor has he done any type of competition including striking. your credibility has jus fallin off the map.

If he has never fought in MMA why did you offer him up as an example of someone in MMA? I would say if anyone is contradicting themselves it is you.

I based my comments on his performance in MMA on these videos of him fighting. I say you are the one who has shot through their credibility.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

jesus man, you suck really bad.

those are pro wrestling matches… meaning that they, are… fixed.

WOW…
just WOW [/quote]

If he is a professional wrestler who has never fought in MMA and has only ever competeed in fixed matches why did YOU bring him into this discussion?

You brought him into this punk and now you are saying he doesn’t have any relevance to this discussion. Wow are you an immature fucking asshole.

I’m done with punk.

My Karate teachers has the patience of a saint. He’s really good with kids. He taught me well. He used to stick me with the kids class. It was character building and a good learning experience.

Plus when I worked as a bouncer I had to learn to deal with people who were not too responsive without losing my patience, otherwise I would have been fighting all night long.

I think certain aspects of MMA could be good for kids. Not full-contact, but strikes below the shoulders while standing and no strikes on the ground. This would amount to a lot of wrestling, BJJ, maybe some judo, and kickboxing minus head strikes. I think the sport, with those guidelines, is much safer for kids than football or even baseball.

One other thing that has to be considered when you’re looking at the risk of injury is the relative strength of the kids. I don’t think they would be capable of producing enough force to injure each other (or themselves) with strikes, aside from a few bruises.

I am a lot more concerned with the child obesity epidemic than I am with the miniscule chance of injury in this case. Kids need more activity, and if this happens to be one that they will pursue with passion and interest, then it should be encouraged.

Among the many distubing things in that video, I’m suprised nobody has mentioned that this yo-yo has little boys punching little girls in the face. What’s THAT teaching then?

Also, what’s up with kids using 4-6oz. MMA gloves to spar with, ON THEIR SECOND DAY?

WOW!!