Kidney Stones and Whey Protein?

54 and still training hard, but have had 5 kidney stones in the last year and am looking for something to replace whey protein with for pre and post-workout drinks.

This is based on the pre-suposition that protein powders can be problematic if you’re predisposed to kidney stones.

Appreciate any advice

most people i know that have had kidney stones ,to much soda,not enough water
never heard of whey protien being a problem

No soda here and try to stay hydrated. There seems to be a lot of data out there that suggests that if you’re at risk for kidney stones, whey protein powders are not recommended, as they may cause calcium build ups.

i must have missed that, new one for me

{Kidney stones can form when substances in the urine—such as calcium, oxalate, and phosphorus—become highly concentrated. Diet is one of several factors that can promote or inhibit kidney stone formation.
Four major types of kidney stones can form: calcium stones, uric acid stones, struvite stones, and cystine stones.
Drinking enough fluid is the most important thing a person can do to prevent kidney stones.
People who have had a kidney stone should drink enough water and other fluids to make at least 2 liters of urine a day.
Sodium, often from salt, causes the kidneys to excrete more calcium into the urine. High concentrations of calcium in the urine combine with oxalate and phosphorus to form stones. Reducing sodium intake is preferred to reducing calcium intake.
Meats and other animal protein—such as eggs and fish—contain purines, which break down into uric acid in the urine.}
got this from a web site

you might want to look at vegetarian sources for most of your protien
6 oz. of animal ,protien per day is the most recommended,includeing eggs and milk

6oz meat per day?? I should be pissing bullets.

that was the recommended amount for people with history of kidney stones,did not see what was for people with no history

I am just a beginner, but I use pea protein and whey. My digestive system can only tolerate so much dairy of any kind. It doesn’t taste all wonderfully chocolate like whey, but it makes me feel great. In another forum somebody mentioned absorption rate blah…blah…blah. Maybe do some research and see if you think it could be an alternative.