Kidney/Liver Failure

Any clue to how this guy may have killed himself? The facts are nebulous - no substance is singled out except for ‘testosterone’ and there’s a pretty thick spin on the whole topic. Either way I was under the impression that it would take a pretty insane dose of any androgen to bring on renal failure. Any thoughts?

Here’s the link:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/03/25/2007-03-25_a_body_to_die_for.html

This article is so full of untruths that it wreaks. I feel bad for the mother, but just because something bad happened and he happened to be on steroids, doesn’t mean it was due to the steroids.

There was ONE sentence which stated that there was no evidence that the steroids he was taking are linked with liver/kidney failure, however, the rest of the article essentially assumes that they did. This is plain and simple irresponsible journalism.

The thing that jumped out at me the most was the DWI (multiple) and the heavy drinking. This is certainly more of a culprit than steroids.

I think this has nothing to do with steroid substances themself, but with impure or fake stuff.

I hate bullshit like this, it angers me so much.

The whole title and subtitle implies and revolves around the idea that he died because of steroids. What horseshit.

On the flip side, for a bonus question on my biology lab quiz today…the question was where would you travel and why if you could go anywhere.

I wrote on my quiz, “Thailand, so I can easily access steroids”

My teacher should appreciate that. Hahaha

That article sucked! His jawline thickened so he must have been using hGH? I wonder, does anything about the name of hGH suggest that normal humans produce it when they are growing?

Sounds more like septicimia to me.

My guess is became septic from something, ie, bad gear, dirty needle, perhaps even pneumonia. Blood infections are difficult to treat, often leading organ failure. Massive amounts of antibiotics are used to treat sepsis, this is very hard on the organs as well. I see deaths very similar to this frequently at the hospital I work.

Is is possable the guy could have injected to much or the concentration of the gear be off. So he was unaware of what the doesage was?

Also drinking a bit …could have been bad moon-shine. He was a farm boy.

What about a farm chemical? Exposure to any number of chems on a farm can be fatal.

There is to many unknowns to say what caused the death. Nothing was said more then he was big and had some AAS locked up. I think that they were jumping the gun with the link to use of AAS caused his death.

Personally it sounds more like accidental
poisoning to me. The Mom and sister are angry and going through a loss. So its easier to blame those substances then say some Uncle with a shine factory.

this is just bad and misleading journalism. it gives no definite cause of death so it leads users to believe that the subject of the article (steroids) is the cause. They give absolutely no evidence it had anything to do with the steroids…

the most confusing line was this

“If these drugs are pure, they are dangerous,” Wadler says. “If you have no idea what you’re swallowing or injecting, it becomes true Russian Roulette. The attitude in America is, ‘They wouldn’t sell it if weren’t safe. They wouldn’t sell it if weren’t pure. They wouldn’t sell it if it didn’t work.’ The problem is we’re not dealing with drugs from the regular marketplace.”

wtf - does it mean “if they are pure they are dangerous”? must be a typo that should have read “if these drugs aren’t pure, they are dangerous”. this isn’t heroin where a pure batch will kill you…pure test is really what you’d like in your gear (well that and of course the oil and alcohol solvent).

this is all the more reason that i think gear should be legal and medically supervised. I would say that 90% of problems happen when someone is shooting something that isn’t what they think it is or they are on a poorly designed cycle. no more fakes, someone to give you a proper cycle plan, and someone to monitor your health would eliminate the problem of it being unsafe. if the guy was at risk of liver or kidney failure it would have been detected when he was being tested and they might have saved his life.

the sad thing is this guys mom thinks steroids are to blame…

don’t remember the name fo the football player who swore that gear caused his brain cancer…it was lated discovered to not be the cause but still people think that was the cause. missinformation is such a dangerous thing.

[quote]FuriousGeorge wrote:

wtf - does it mean “if they are pure they are dangerous”?

this is all the more reason that i think gear should be legal and medically supervised.

someone to give you a proper cycle plan[/quote]

Sadly, guys like Wadler (who said the purity thing) are the so-called experts that would be medically supervising you. You won’t be getting a very proper cycle from that guy.

More “expert” input…

I think she misquoted one of the landmark research studies (landmark only because it’s one of the few reporting usage statistics) that says AAS users typically USE amounts 10-100x medical doses. Typical armchair experts. Medical doses can be as low as 5-10mg Anadrol or Anavar per day. The 100x medical dose would be accurate, except that number is for weekly dosing, not daily, so it’s misrepresented. So this quote is huge misrepresentation.

[quote]FuriousGeorge wrote:
don’t remember the name fo the football player who swore that gear caused his brain cancer…it was lated discovered to not be the cause but still people think that was the cause. missinformation is such a dangerous thing.[/quote]

lyle alzado.

I wonder how many people die every day because of people driving drunk. these people should be under the spotlight. One guy dies who juices up and the whole fuckin world has to know about it. come on lets get some reports on all the people who die of coke and heroin overdoses and go after there dealers. this type of shit pisses me off!

Here is the part that signaled an “alarm” for me:

As far as Barb Kennedy can tell, the trouble started last April, after Pete got his second DWI. He was on his way home from Lake George. He’d had some Miller Lites at a bar, and refused the Breathlyzer test. His license was suspended. His probation mandated that he couldn’t drink, couldn’t join his buddies for Thirsty Thursdays at his favorite bar down the street, the Maple Inn. He felt a void. He opted to fill it by working out. He cleaned out the basement of the garage and set up an impressive array of weights, punching bags and fitness equipment.

By last summer, Pete Kennedy was lifting up to four hours a day, five days a week. He was constantly drinking power shakes and other concoctions. He spent $300 monthly at GNC, according to his sister, Jamie, 22. When he lifted, he had his heavy metal music blaring - “Anger music,” he called it - and pushed himself to almost complete exhaustion.

“Aren’t you overdoing it?” his mother would ask.

“No, I’m fine,” Pete would say, before cranking up the music to drown out her voice.

“The gym became his crutch,” Barb says.

For years Pete and Barb wore interchangeable jeans, waist 29, but that changed. His arms began to bulge with slabs of muscle, and his neck and chest thickened and hardened, as his weight increased to 170, 180, 190 - all the way to 215. Jamie noticed his jawline becoming more pronounced - a common side effect of HGH - and Pete’s girlfriend said his back had developed severe acne - a condition that often accompanies steroid use.

1. Guy had a drinking problem (2 DWI)
  2. Growth of jaw
  3. $300 month on GNC “supplements”

My opinion based on the article (and I may be wrong, since the article isn’t clear on what is factual and sensationalistic):

1. Already had impaired liver from heavy drinking and didn’t know it.

2. AAS and GH (probably) compounded the problem

3. high protein diet without the use of proper levels of water intake

4. 55lbs (aprox.) of gain in 1 year is a lot (all muscle?). . . impossible, even with AAS

If you are going to take AAS you better know what you are doing, know your body and “try” to gain LBM instead of just “bulk weight”.

Something we never see discussed here is the role of fluids (water) while using AAS.

If he didn’t know what he was doing and shopped at GNC alot there is likely a chance that he took some bullshit hepatoxic PH’s…now thats purely speculative cuz I hate GNC so I don’t really know what the sell…but it seems plausible that they sell the toxic bullshit.

And if he just wanted to get big and didn’t know anything about what he was doing it wouldnt surprise me if he loaded on up crap like that. My girlfriends little brother went on a stint (at age 15) of buying up "testojacks’, t-bomb 2 and then started looking into PH’s…until he learned (partly thanks to me) that he is a moron.

Point being, noobs often buy up supplements without knowing what their getting into so the right mix of shit on the market could possibly be dangerous.

Also, what pisses me off is where they mentioned his girlfriend said he got irritable and the jawline and all that.
Having been interviewed before for a couple non related issues, its common journalistic practice to ask interviewees “leading” questions, which really skews the reality in the story.

I.E. “Hey your his girlfriend, did ever get upset with you over little things…cuz you know thats a side effect of steroid use”

girlfriend: “uh yeh now that you mention it”

report reads: “Girlfriend said he was becoming increasingly irritable and short tempered”

Horseshit…everyone relationship has time of short temperedness and irritability…AAS use or not.

It comes down to shoddy, irresponsible journalism. Sensationalizing, basically.

Leading questions are commonly use and intentionally provoke often unrealistic answers.

[quote]GetSwole wrote:

I.E. “Hey your his girlfriend, did ever get upset with you over little things…cuz you know thats a side effect of steroid use”

girlfriend: “uh yeh now that you mention it”

report reads: “Girlfriend said he was becoming increasingly irritable and short tempered”
[/quote]

Gotta love journalism. You can take most stuff and scale it back by about 200% and you’ll have the truth.

People always talk about how journalists are always looking for an angle, so they target rarities and other bullshit that can easily be exploited.

What would happen if an anonymous journalist went around interviewed steroid users and actually said how great of health the interviewees were in, and the great results they got from using AAS.

This is getting fucking ridiculous.

World

Sad story. Sad for the family. The story was shitty so who knows. I like the septic infection idea. Liver damage bad enough to kill you would certainly show more signs on the way to death, right? I am surprised his heart was enlarged. He must have been hitting it pretty hard over the last year, but even that wouldn’t normally kill you by itself. It’s not like he had heart failure.

I read further that his mother declined an autopsy so nothing can be learned from his death even if it was steroids.

[quote]lil_azn wrote:
FuriousGeorge wrote:
don’t remember the name fo the football player who swore that gear caused his brain cancer…it was lated discovered to not be the cause but still people think that was the cause. missinformation is such a dangerous thing.

lyle alzado. [/quote]

Lyle Alzado died of Aids.