On TRT 5 Years, Poor Kidney Function

Been on TRT for 5 years feel great but my kidney function is not good. could it be from the testosterone? Test has come back elevated for a few years but Doc wasn’t worried cause of all my exercise this time it was higher and I haven’t been exercising near as much due to injury. I’m 58 yrs old and my testosterone is usually 700-900 E is usually 17-25.when tested every 3 months.

Please list medications, Rx and OTC as well as supplements?

Are you using ibuprofen regularily?

Heart burn and heart burn meds?

Any occupational exposure to toxins?
Water supply safe?

You only use testosterone?
Nothing to control E2?

Please post labs with ranges?

Have you ever had a radio contrast dye to check blood flow through your heart? If so, how does that timeline fit with adverse kidney function meds?

There is no known issue with TRT and kidneys. If there was, young men would be afflicted.

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category - #2 by KSman

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman https://forums.t-nation.com/users/ksman
February 13
Please list medications, Rx and OTC as well as supplements?

Are you using ibuprofen regularily?

Heart burn and heart burn meds?

Any occupational exposure to toxins?
Water supply safe?

You only use testosterone?
Nothing to control E2?

Please post labs with ranges?

Have you ever had a radio contrast dye to check blood flow through your heart? If so, how does that timeline fit with adverse kidney function meds?

There is no known issue with TRT and kidneys. If there was, young men would be afflicted.

Please read the stickies found here: https://forums.t-nation.com/t/about-the-t-replacement-category/38/2?u=ksman

* advice for new guys

* things that damage your hormones

* protocol for injections

* finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body's temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

---------------------------------------------

Visit Topic https://forums.t-nation.com/t/kidney-function/226270/2 or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here https://forums.t-nation.com/email/unsubscribe/fa1e14b9cbed3686f843c48a05fa679c670043cf2d98cd157fe8b1a07eea8da0 .

Don’t use ibuprofen but I have been taking a baby aspirin every day for a few years. No heartburn, toxins or bad water. I actually feel great. Went to family doc that fond the kidney function because I keep getting tendonitis in different places. Did have the dye a few rears ago for heart scan. You mention thyroid at the end. I have been taking iodine for a couple of years. I had him check thyroid cause I think I have Wilsons Temperature Syndrome. I am always cold and my temp has never been 98 degrees or higher unless I have a fever. Thyroid lab shows poor conversion of T4 to T3. My PSA has been going up the last few years and my TRT doc wanted biopsy when it got to 6. Urologist said prostate size was normal so I put biopsy off. On July 30 I ran a international distance triathlon and the next day couldn’t empty bladder had to pee every 20 min and only about once came out. Had another PSA test while waiting to in to doc PSA was up to 13. Wife gets kidney infections often and she said I should take her antibiotics. Within 24 hours I was peeing normally and the next week when I went to doc PSA back down to 6. Having biopsy tomorrow a.m. Now wondering if kidney is real problem not prostate.

What were the specific values that lead the doctors to believe you had decreased kidney function? Often times the value they speak of is eGFR which is an indication of how well your kidney can filter muscle waste such as creatine. Anything under 60 is considered stage III kidney disease. However, this test is very miss leading, particularly in men and those who lift weights. The value is calculated from a body mass of 1.75 m³ – Essentially a 155 pound person who is 5’7. You could adjust for your normal body mass – and there are calculators online at the national kidney foundation. Just do a search on GFR calculator. A few other points – GFR is largely driven by the amount of creatinine - which in and of itself can be elevated by being dehydrated, excessive working out, and eating a lot of protein. So, it may be worth your while to not work out for for five days prior and make sure you’re ingesting lots of water and cut down on protein for the next test. Lastly, the Ultimate test is to see if you have albumin (protein) in your urine with a simple urine test. If the body mass adjusted GFR value comes back over 60, and you have no evidence of protein in the urine – then you will generally be deemed OK and your current values will be a false positive.

Radio contrast dyes can cause free radical damage to the kidneys. When circulation is impaired, the risk is higher. Often when someone has a heart attack and gets scanned, the kidneys fail right after. Of course, damage can be anywhere from severe to minimal.

This is preventable, but I think that NAC is rarely used: N-acetylcysteine for Prevention of Contrast-Induced Nephropathy: A Narrative Review - PMC

Tenonitis:
Are you using a corticosteroid?
Have you ever tested IGF-1 to eval your GH status?
Are you using a statin drug? dose? how long?

Poor T4–>T3: Ferritin level needs to be good.

fT3 is the active hormone and fT3, fT4 should be tested. Do not bother with uptake or index tests that are obsolete.

Kidney will not affect prostate unless there is inflammation from a co-infection.

Ejaculation is important to clear the seminal vessels and they can become inflamed from rancid fluids and the inflammation irritates the prostate and PSA increases and the inflammation can contribute to BPH and cancer. Any infection of the seminal vessels or prostate sings the same song.

Your wife getting frequent kidney infections should not be ignored as a possible link to your issues. She may be creating antibiotic resistant bacteria that are a threat to your urinary tract as well. If you are sexually active, you both may need to take medication at the same time.

Please post lab work with ranges.