T Nation

Kidney Beans Amino Profile

Hi all. After going through Dr Lowery’s article here on the site, have added kidney beans as a staple in my diet. It definitely is filling, tastes good boiled and with a dash of garlic. But since its going some way towards meeting my daily protein quota, i am a bit concerned about the quality of protein.(it IS cheap) here’s a link to whfoods that lists the amino acids in kidney beans. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrientprofile&dbid=49
i have it with whole wheat bread (chapati). is the amino acid profile good enough to displace chicken/red meat?

[quote]vajra wrote:
is the amino acid profile good enough to displace chicken/red meat?[/quote]

No.

As with most vege protein sources, beans by themselves are an incomplete protein, meaning that they do not contain all of the 8 essential amino acids.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
vajra wrote:
is the amino acid profile good enough to displace chicken/red meat?

No.

As with most vege protein sources, beans by themselves are an incomplete protein, meaning that they do not contain all of the 8 essential amino acids.[/quote]

BUT you can combine them with pretty much any nuts, seeds or grains to make a complete amino profile. Beans and rice are a staple of many cultures.

V