T Nation

Kiddie Porn and the FBI


#1

I thought you guys might find this... interesting.

I fix computers for a living as most of the standbys here know and the last 3 days was a first for me.

This guy got one of my fliers on his door and called Tuesday for me to fix his machine which sounded like it was infested with various malware as many are nowadays.

He brings it to my house, I take the drive and put it in an external rig on one of my Linux boxes to backup his data before I slam the drive. What do I find, but the most nauseating collection of pix and flix featuring very VERY young boys engaged in all manner of adult activity... with each other.

Needless to say I'm sitting there aghast with 1000 thoughts streaming through my head not the least of which is how the hell do I handle this.

Do I finish the job, give it back to him and call the authorities? Do I put in a different drive and give them his? If I give it back and especially if I take money from this guy do I stand to be accused of trafficking in child pornography?

What if he gets a crack defense attorney who tries to say that I put it on his machine? The ISP logs should handle that I thought.

I decided to call the Detroit field office of the FBI Tuesday night and told the switchboard person what the situation was and she took all the information.

The special agent in charge of this stuff for Detroit called me the next morning. She says I did the right thing by stopping right where I was, not altering the drive and calling them and makes arrangements to come to my house.

Wednesday morning Mulder and Scully show up at my house. A big tall guy and a short small woman looking every bit like FBI agents.

They say they can't view the drive without my statement and a court order. They ask and I answer all the questions you would imagine would be asked. I give them the drive, the machine, pictures of the guy from my surveillance cameras and the contact information he gave me.

I'm supposed to take the machine back later that day, but they say that they can't get the judge to issue the order until the next day, today. They ask if I think I can convincingly put the guy off until today without raising suspicions which I was successful in doing.

This morning they call back and say they got the court order, have viewed the material, it is definitely a federal offense and could I go ahead and make arrangements to return the machine at which time they instead of I would show up at his house.

I called him back and made arrangements to return his machine this afternoon, called them back and told them when. They went there with their warrants and arrested him.

I guess when you do this kind of work you have it in the back of your mind that this kind of thing could happen, but I was not planning on this at all and it was a bit harrowing having the feds at your house and setting somebody up like this.

The bottom line is who knows what somebody like this could do or maybe has already done and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I later found out that he was harming somebodies kids and I could have helped stop him, but didn't as much as we do not need this complication in our life right now.


#2

Good for you bud… you handled that in a very mature, and efficient manner… props…

That’s pretty bent… I worked with the RCMP (Like your guys’ FBI… but we wear funny hats, and ride horses… :wink: ) and we used to see all KINDS of wacky shit… from hells angels stake outs… to drug dens and addresses… notes etc… pretty crazy…


#3

I think you did the wrong thing. So the guy is a perv. He prob never touched a kid and now he will be forever labeled a sex offender.

Your the pest control guy who calls the cops because a resident had a joint in the ash tray.

I would have minded my own business no offense. Hope you feel like a hero.


#4

damn, that story sounded like it came from a movie… It must have been a big ordeal for you, in your situation. But in the end you did the right thing.


#5

[quote]elano wrote:
I think you did the wrong thing. So the guy is a perv. He prob never touched a kid and now he will be forever labeled a sex offender.

Your the pest control guy who calls the cops because a resident had a joint in the ash tray.

I would have minded my own business no offense. Hope you feel like a hero.[/quote]

That’s completely different. Who cares if a guy smokes weed? But if a guy molests kids, then that’s a slightly bigger deal.


#6

I disagree with elano, you made the right call. And now you have a good story to tell, your the hero that took a creeper down.

A little off topic: I heard if someone downloads illegal porn on your wireless internet (you don’t password protect it) the FBI can seize you house and property and you are held liable. Is this true?


#7

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
elano wrote:
I think you did the wrong thing. So the guy is a perv. He prob never touched a kid and now he will be forever labeled a sex offender.

Your the pest control guy who calls the cops because a resident had a joint in the ash tray.

I would have minded my own business no offense. Hope you feel like a hero.

That’s completely different. Who cares if a guy smokes weed? But if a guy molests kids, then that’s a slightly bigger deal.[/quote]

I have to agree man… the only porn that is illegal is child porn… and there’s a reason for it… this goes beyond being a ‘perv’ in my opinion… anything perverse or not that may potentially harm children (who aren’t of sound mind to consent) should not be propagated by any means… Although I do hear what you’re saying… I’m more of a ‘mind my own business’ kinda guy too… but I think this deserved attention…


#8

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
elano wrote:
I think you did the wrong thing. So the guy is a perv. He prob never touched a kid and now he will be forever labeled a sex offender.

Your the pest control guy who calls the cops because a resident had a joint in the ash tray.

I would have minded my own business no offense. Hope you feel like a hero.

That’s completely different. Who cares if a guy smokes weed? But if a guy molests kids, then that’s a slightly bigger deal.[/quote]

I guess it’s the dumbasse’s fault for bringing a computer to the shop with kitty porn on it.


#9

think about it for a minute…kiddie porn. no where near a joint in the ashtray, and I think even the criminals wouldn’t bring up the stop snitching crap.


#10

You see somebody with a joint, worse case they have lots of it, maybe even sell it.

You see somebody with kiddie porn, worse case they are seriously hurting a child.

Big fucking difference, you did the right thing, for sure.

–JB


#11

[quote]elano wrote:
I think you did the wrong thing. So the guy is a perv. He prob never touched a kid and now he will be forever labeled a sex offender.

Your the pest control guy who calls the cops because a resident had a joint in the ash tray.

I would have minded my own business no offense. Hope you feel like a hero.[/quote]

Agreed.


#12

[quote]Game Time wrote:
I disagree with elano, you made the right call. And now you have a good story to tell, your the hero that took a creeper down.

A little off topic: I heard if someone downloads illegal porn on your wireless internet (you don’t password protect it) the FBI can seize you house and property and you are held liable. Is this true?[/quote]

Technically if they traced the server and saw it send data to your ip, they would assume it was you, but you could make your argument and surrender your computer for them to search. Either way, it’s better to just lock your connection so that doesn’t happen.


#13

[quote]elano wrote:
I think you did the wrong thing. So the guy is a perv. He prob never touched a kid and now he will be forever labeled a sex offender.

Your the pest control guy who calls the cops because a resident had a joint in the ash tray.

I would have minded my own business no offense. Hope you feel like a hero.[/quote]

Wow, making a troll post about kiddie porn. Not funny at all.


#14

[quote]Game Time wrote:
I disagree with elano, you made the right call. And now you have a good story to tell, your the hero that took a creeper down.

A little off topic: I heard if someone downloads illegal porn on your wireless internet (you don’t password protect it) the FBI can seize you house and property and you are held liable. Is this true?[/quote]

Many ISP end user agreements will include a clause that holds you responsible for anything that happens with your connection, whether it’s done by you or someone else, even if you don’t know it’s going on. It would be so rough to go down for something that wasn’t even your fault.

OP, I think you made the right call. The kids in the photos were being abused, especially if they were pretty young. Furthermore, if you didn’t say anything there’s a chance you could have gotten caught up in some legal trouble if the guy had gotten busted. I would have hated having to deal with the FBI though.


#15

[quote]Game Time wrote:
I disagree with elano, you made the right call. And now you have a good story to tell, your the hero that took a creeper down.

A little off topic: I heard if someone downloads illegal porn on your wireless internet (you don’t password protect it) the FBI can seize you house and property and you are held liable. Is this true?[/quote]
They can’t permanently deprive you of property in this manner. There is still a modicum of Due Process protection available… but lord nows they can probably make life miserable for you.


#16

[quote]elano wrote:
I think you did the wrong thing. So the guy is a perv. He prob never touched a kid and now he will be forever labeled a sex offender.

Your the pest control guy who calls the cops because a resident had a joint in the ash tray.

I would have minded my own business no offense. Hope you feel like a hero.[/quote]

How does it feel to make the worst post of the year?


#17

In my opinion you did the right thing, and potentially stopped something horrible from happening.


#18

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
elano wrote:
I think you did the wrong thing. So the guy is a perv. He prob never touched a kid and now he will be forever labeled a sex offender.

Your the pest control guy who calls the cops because a resident had a joint in the ash tray.

I would have minded my own business no offense. Hope you feel like a hero.

Wow, making a troll post about kiddie porn. Not funny at all.[/quote]

Wow, believe it or not most people ARE aloud to have opinions…


#19

Good call. I’m all for respecting people’s privacy and property, but there are places I just won’t go.

Kiddie porn, fine.

GAY kiddie porn, GTFO.

That’s a joke.

That shit is fucked up.


#20

Just because a person has a copy of the “anarchist cookbook” doesn’t make them a terrorist. Just because a person has a video of “faces of death” doesn’t make them a murderer. Just because a person downloaded some kiddy porn doesn’t make them a child molester.

Not trying to defend child molestors AT ALL. In fact, I hate the scum! Just making a point.