T Nation

Kid Squats 905 Raw

Can’t believe there’s not a thread on this already. He didn’t get credit for the lift, because he didn’t wait for the rack command, but I mean… It’s fuckin there.

Saw this in the news the other day. Very strong. Said his goal was 1000 at that meet, but missed at 905 or so.

One of the most impressive raw squat ever…regardless of age. Made even more impressive by the fact that he walked out the weight, he didn’t use a monolift.

Crazy. Not official though. Didn’t get credit because he stepped before the rack command.

STRONG! Who much do he weigh?

Awesome.

What do you guys think about the depth? Looks like slightly above parallel to me, but he might hit parallel.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Awesome.

What do you guys think about the depth? Looks like slightly above parallel to me, but he might hit parallel.[/quote]

I think he did, hard to tell from the front, especially with a guy with legs his size.

Edit… Hmmmm… I’m not sure about the depth in the second video… but then again it could be the size of the quads that can give the illusion of lack of depth. The mid-point of his hips do seem to be in-line with the knees.

Awesome, and only 29lbs to the all-time without wraps raw record.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
One of the most impressive raw squat ever…regardless of age.[/quote]

Out of curiosity, what is the relevance of his age here? Do you mean it’s extra impressive because he’s still young and has a lot more potential to get even stronger?

[quote]grappling_hook wrote:

Out of curiosity, what is the relevance of his age here? Do you mean it’s extra impressive because he’s still young and has a lot more potential to get even stronger?[/quote]

He said regardless of age. That would mean no relevance.

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
Awesome.

What do you guys think about the depth? Looks like slightly above parallel to me, but he might hit parallel.[/quote]

No videos from any official angles for me to be able to make a call from.

I was there and there were a few national records broken at that meet.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

Out of curiosity, what is the relevance of his age here? Do you mean it’s extra impressive because he’s still young and has a lot more potential to get even stronger?[/quote]

He said regardless of age. That would mean no relevance. [/quote]

Then why bring up age in the post?

Ah, I presume because OP used the word “kid”? I thought “kid” was strange wording here, unless Ray is a teenager (??)

Ah, I presume because OP used the word “kid”? I thought “kid” was strange wording here, unless Ray is a teenager (??)[/quote]
Who the fuck cares guy it’s 900lbs! He’s only 26, which in the world of strength sports is relatively young. Most of the strongest guys are at least in their 30’s. This guy is one of the exceptions, which I find really exciting, because it means he could potentially go so far in the world of powerlifting. I believe he’ll reach his goal of a 1000lb raw squat for sure.

[quote]csulli wrote:

Ah, I presume because OP used the word “kid”? I thought “kid” was strange wording here, unless Ray is a teenager (??)[/quote]
Who the fuck cares guy it’s 900lbs! He’s only 26, which in the world of strength sports is relatively young. Most of the strongest guys are at least in their 30’s. This guy is one of the exceptions, which I find really exciting, because it means he could potentially go so far in the world of powerlifting. I believe he’ll reach his goal of a 1000lb raw squat for sure.[/quote]

Agreed here!

[quote]OfekB wrote:
STRONG! Who much do he weigh?[/quote]

361, is what I read.

I saw this on yahoo and he said a “Real staple” in his diet is cornbread and buttermilk…about to get me a shit load of that lol kid’s a beast

I competed at that contest (USAPL Alabama State) and witnessed both of his 860 and the 905 squat. The videos from the front do him no justice. From the side, (what I saw in person) he was deep for both. His 905 was turned down as he took a step without waiting for the rack command.

BEEF

[quote]beefcakemdphd wrote:
I competed at that contest (USAPL Alabama State) and witnessed both of his 860 and the 905 squat. The videos from the front do him no justice. From the side, (what I saw in person) he was deep for both. His 905 was turned down as he took a step without waiting for the rack command.

BEEF[/quote]

Wait… did a USAPL lifter just insinuate that you can’t accurately predict depth from the front??? (jokes … all in good fun)

This kid’s squats are insane and it looks like he had plenty more in him. What did he bench?

^475 lbs

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
I saw this on yahoo and he said a “Real staple” in his diet is cornbread and buttermilk…about to get me a shit load of that lol kid’s a beast[/quote]

Wasn’t that John Coffee (from the Green Mile) diet too? Must be working!