T Nation

Kicks Making my Arm Go Completely Numb

During training today this guy who squats 495 was just nailing my arm during body kick drills and twice when he hit me from my tricep down my arm was completely numb and my wrist snapped upwards and was uncontrollable for about 15 seconds.

Now the numbness i can deal with and still keep my arm up, but my wrist snapping back and my hand popping open is just an invitation to get my jaw bashed in. Anything i can do for this?

Have you tried moving, and not just standing still waiting to get kicked?

[quote]Bujo wrote:
Have you tried moving, and not just standing still waiting to get kicked?[/quote]

Well yeah, but that would defeat the purpose of the drill, we weren’t sparring.

On a side note, I’ve only been training total for about a month, kickboxing and bjj, first mma class, just wondering though, do the bruises stop forming so easily? Because I my arms/legs look bad already, tomorrow i can’t imagine though.

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
Bujo wrote:

On a side note, I’ve only been training total for about a month, kickboxing and bjj, first mma class, just wondering though, do the bruises stop forming so easily? Because I my arms/legs look bad already, tomorrow i can’t imagine though. [/quote]

Just curious…what kind of body kick drill are you learning that calls for taking full speed kicks?? Shinpads used??

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
During training today this guy who squats 495 was just nailing my arm during body kick drills and twice when he hit me from my tricep down my arm was completely numb and my wrist snapped upwards and was uncontrollable for about 15 seconds.

Now the numbness i can deal with and still keep my arm up, but my wrist snapping back and my hand popping open is just an invitation to get my jaw bashed in. Anything i can do for this? [/quote]

Yes there is something you can do, don’t stand there like a dumbass and be someones kicking bag.

You are going to get permanent damage from that like a torn AC ligament. Once you do that you can kiss training goodbye because there is not fixing it.

That break the body and the mind will follow style of training is not meant for longevity. You might want to look around and see what other teachers are available to you.

If he’s throwing kicks harder than you’d like and hitting your arm instead of your body, let him kick your elbow a couple times…he’ll get the point.

(my sincerest apologies for the horrible pun…but the point still stands)

well mrcold he did nail my elbow a few times and backed off afterwards, but sadly he wasn’t even going full power, I think he would have probably broken my arm had he. And some guys wear shinpads but its not required.

Ermmmm did you try telling him was kicking too hard and to back off a bit?

You need to speak up man, the guy doing the kicking, your coach, whatever. There is no reason at all to stand there taking potentially injury causing hits ‘just for the sake of it’.

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
Bujo wrote:

On a side note, I’ve only been training total for about a month, kickboxing and bjj, first mma class, just wondering though, do the bruises stop forming so easily? Because I my arms/legs look bad already, tomorrow i can’t imagine though. [/quote]

If a dude is kicking you that hard, tell him to back off. You’ve only been training a month - it doesn’t make you a pussy if you can’t take the kicks of a much more experienced guy. As for bruises, I have noticed that over time they stop forming so easily. You also get numb to them eventually. Dont fuckin kill yourself in class, particularly if its your first month - it takes a while to be get really into the rhythm.

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
During training today this guy who squats 495 was just nailing my arm during body kick drills and… [/quote]

If you ask nicely I’ll stop kicking you.

Eventually everything “hardens up”. Still, after some of my fights I haven’t been able to open the door of my room because my forearms were so battered from taking kicks. All good fun!

Oh yea, learn how to catch kicks, check kicks, intercept kicks (straight right; teep; cut kick; etc)

… and just ask the guy to stop it especially since it’s a DRILL.

YOU"RE NOT SPARRING.

if he’s hitting you this hard say something.

[quote]Tyrant wrote:
Bujo wrote:

Training is scalable. Sure, the first set you can stand there and get kicked, but once he’s proven he can hit a static target it’s time to up the difficulty. The second set bump your defense up a notch, move in, move out, circle out, etc… Not saying go 100% defense/evasion, just up a notch. And you can always ask to not go so hard, especially if you’re not using body shields or pads.

[quote]Tyrant wrote:

Now the numbness i can deal with and still keep my arm up, but my wrist snapping back and my hand popping open is just an invitation to get my jaw bashed in. Anything i can do for this? [/quote]

In thai boxing, you’d usually try to bring your shin up to block it, depending on how high it is. You can also try to catch it, but you have to be careful not to take it all in the ribs. You wanna sort of aim your lats towards the kick and catch it as it comes in, then try to sweep or trip. Blocking with your arms, as they teach in TKD, will only get you hurt.

BTW, drills are drills. Not knowing the guy from Adam, you usually try not to beat the hell out of your training partner.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:

You can also try to catch it, but you have to be careful not to take it all in the ribs. You wanna sort of aim your lats towards the kick and catch it as it comes in, then try to sweep or trip. Blocking with your arms, as they teach in TKD, will only get you hurt.
[/quote]

Yes,you want to catch the kick under your lats…BUT never do that towards the kick. You IDEALLY want to catch the kick while taking an angle away from the “power” of the kick. If done right,it will set you up perfectly for some good strikes.

You can block with your arms…as it is taught in Muay Thai. You have drop the elbow of your blocking arm down tightly against your ribcage and twist(not bend) your torso slightly into the kick. Against a strong kick,you can also parry it with your opposite hand. But how often do you really want to take those kicks with your arms??

But like you and everyone has stated,this is a drill…not a sparring session. He needs to just speak up. If the guy is just being an ass and continues to kick full speed,move out of the way when he kicks.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
PRCalDude wrote:

You can also try to catch it, but you have to be careful not to take it all in the ribs. You wanna sort of aim your lats towards the kick and catch it as it comes in, then try to sweep or trip. Blocking with your arms, as they teach in TKD, will only get you hurt.

Yes,you want to catch the kick under your lats…BUT never do that towards the kick. You IDEALLY want to catch the kick while taking an angle away from the “power” of the kick. If done right,it will set you up perfectly for some good strikes.

You can block with your arms…as it is taught in Muay Thai. You have drop the elbow of your blocking arm down tightly against your ribcage and twist(not bend) your torso slightly into the kick. Against a strong kick,you can also parry it with your opposite hand. But how often do you really want to take those kicks with your arms??

But like you and everyone has stated,this is a drill…not a sparring session. He needs to just speak up. If the guy is just being an ass and continues to kick full speed,move out of the way when he kicks.
[/quote]

IMO, if you haven’t been taught how to catch kicks, umm, get taught. You get a lot of pain if you ‘slightly’ get it wrong, so you need your coach to show you how to do it. As the general agreement is that a) you need to use your mouth to talk and b) the guy kicking you is a c**tstain cos there’s no reason to go that heavy, I agree with ^ - just move out the way - step back, whatever. Hopefully he will spin around and fall like an ass and you can laugh. Or he will spin around and you can kick him in the back if you want to lol. OR wait until he spins around and smash him over the head with a kendo stick or kettleball.

Again, extreme, but if you’re training somewhere where the people you’re training with are total wankers and aren’t helping you learn, fuck em.

lol @ cuntstain
and LOL@ censoring cuntstain

Just wait til it’s your turn to kick. Let one go high, he’ll get it.

I’m guessing you are doing body conditioning drills. If the guy is catching you dead on your tricep you might want to shift your arm slightly, or tell him your arm is going numb, do you mind toning it down.

On a side note, the numbing will never go away. I get hit in the elbow, or whenever my head gets snapped back(grappling or striking) my arms instantly tingles.