Kickboxers/MMA Fighters Cardio

First of all we may be getting away from the original question. The guy just wanted to lose 20lbs or so, diet and his existing training will do that. Remember its no good to lose fat too quickly, 1-2lbs a week is normally acceptable.

Secondly, for anyone who hasnt seen it yet T-Nation has just created the MMA locker run by Chad Waterbury. Im a big fan of his methods so it should be great to see his take on MMA training.

Talk about perfect timing!!

Skip rope.

It is good cardio and gives you are great explosiveness to your step which is what you are going to need especially if moving from ground to stand up fighting.

It is much more efficient than running for each minute performed. I once heard 10 mins of skipping is like 30 mins of running … maybe, maybe not, regardless it is more efficient.

Your calves will recover fast coz calves are tough - and become more explosive - the rest of your body shouldn’t suffer too much. Which means you can do it more and more without stuffing yourself up from doing too much.

It is cheap and can be done at home if you have the space / high ceiling.

I assume you have no problems with your knees etc…

Skipping is far more appropriate than rowing, cycling etc… for what you want.

Now having said that, man you are planning to drop a lot of weight there, what timeframe are you talking about?

Bas Ruttens’ workout is very worthwhile and he did his DVD quite well I think. It’s a good drill. I like his style and recommend it as a good one. It would be a good exercise to add in there somewhere, it has a lot of moving from pushups to standing knee strikes / punching and down again etc… so pretty useful for combat.

Make sure you train for explosiveness.

Good luck and have fun!

I have a good 3-4 months to lose the weight so I’m not too worried about dropping excessive weight (ie more than 2 pounds a week). I would just like to get some supplemental cardio in, especially since I like to workout in the morning. What I’m gonna do for right now is put together 3 or 4 workouts in the form of HOC and do them in the mornings. They probably wont last more than 25 minutes or so but I’m sure theyll give me a nice boost.

Anyone have some good HOC circuits besides the one’s MM gave in his articles?