T Nation

Kick My Tuna Up a Notch

I eat alot of canned tuna probably 2-3 meals of the day are tuna. I used to try to make it a ceviche of sorts but that got old. Now i eat it plain out of the can. I’m feeling adventurous again. Do y’all have any minimal calorie adding ways of kicking canned tuna up a notch flavor wise.

Hot sauce.

yummmm ceviche!!

try mustard with the tuna instead of mayo (if anything is used)
or
pickles
or
chilli powder
or
a bit of soy sauce
or
chipotle!!

I hope you do not get any mercury poisoning… i know, i know, i just had a budy that was eating the packets like 2-3 times a day 5 days a week and started looking a bit yellow in the skin, then went to the doc and he said (after blood work) he had some kind of higher mercury in his blood?

weird but true…

I mix some hot sauce and throw some hummus in there(instead of using mayo, plus it ups the protein).

Lemon pepper spices…

Some cottage cheese is nice, or some olive oil.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
I eat alot of canned tuna probably 2-3 meals of the day are tuna. I used to try to make it a ceviche of sorts but that got old. Now i eat it plain out of the can. I’m feeling adventurous again. Do y’all have any minimal calorie adding ways of kicking canned tuna up a notch flavor wise. [/quote]

Do you have aspirations to be a thermometer? I hope so, because two to three cans of tuna per day over time is going to send your mercury levels soaring. BTW, that’s not a good thing.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
I eat alot of canned tuna probably 2-3 meals of the day are tuna. I used to try to make it a ceviche of sorts but that got old. Now i eat it plain out of the can. I’m feeling adventurous again. Do y’all have any minimal calorie adding ways of kicking canned tuna up a notch flavor wise.

Do you have aspirations to be a thermometer? I hope so, because two to three cans of tuna per day over time is going to send your mercury levels soaring. BTW, that’s not a good thing.

[/quote]

Seriously… the mercury thing is for real. You can enjoy sardines, mackeral, etc because they are on the bottom of the food chain and can’t amass large amounts of mercury (and they have kick ass fat profiles, not surprising since that’s where fish oil comes from).

mayo, hot sauce and black pepper is my fav. combo.

I’ve been eating a can a day and I thought that was bad. I know tuna is super cheap, but seriously try to cut back to no more than one can a day. As far as flavoring I use red pepper flaxes, black pepper, lemon/salt seasoning.

depends what kind of tuna…

I eat 2 cans SkipJack Tuna/day and don’t seem to have any issues with my mercury levels…

I wouldn’t call this minimal calorie…it’ll add a bit of healthy fat and fiber.

What you need:
-Mission Carb-Balance tortillas
-Garlic
-McCormick Zesty Herb marinade mix
-Olive oil

Wrap up the tuna in a tortilla. Coat a pan with olive oil, then throw in some finely minced garlic and the zesty herb stuff. Fry the bottom of the wrap for a few minutes on high, and voila.

I’ve tried em all except the hummus. that sounds pretty good. I’m eating that much tuna because I ran out of sliced grilled chicken breast packets from costco this saturday and I have a full pantry full of tuna. I’ve only being doing this for 6 days. Thanks fellers!

I think I might have one that no one has tried yet. One forkful of tuna goes in the mouth followed by a slice of orange. Chew it up together and swallow it down. Weird I know but it works for me.

a teaspoon of mayo

also babaganoosh (sp?)

[quote]hockeyguy24 wrote:
I think I might have one that no one has tried yet. One forkful of tuna goes in the mouth followed by a slice of orange. Chew it up together and swallow it down. Weird I know but it works for me.[/quote]

That works with lime too.

Don’t do peanut butter. I don’t know why I did it but I have done it before with chicken breast. Bad. very bad. They were the actions of a desperate man I tell you!

lol i mix it with yams and mustard…

You going to look like that guy from Terminator! Try the tuna in sunflower oil or the spicy garlic Buffalo Wild Wings sauce.