T Nation

Khan KO's Carjackers

Who says boxing don’t work in the street? :wink:

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/khan-ko-carjackers-134107072.html

As you might imagine this makes me like him immensely more than I had before.

Pity he can’t knock anyone cold in the ring!!!

I kid, I kid…

Wait a second? didn’t you two go on for weeks about how a fighter couldn’t take on multiple guys, and then this happens and your having a wank about it? what?

[quote]Charged wrote:
Wait a second? didn’t you two go on for weeks about how a fighter couldn’t take on multiple guys, and then this happens and your having a wank about it? what?[/quote]

No, I’ve said the odds are against you, not that it could never happen. Amir Khan being an A-level pro boxer and being with his brother, also a pro boxer, significantly helped those odds. I never say something could never happen, because it invariably does.

I just thought it was a good story. Even though now that cunty up there commented it’s sure to degrade quickly into a lost thread.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Pity he can’t knock anyone cold in the ring!!!

I kid, I kid…[/quote]

Ouch! Ouch!

He had his brother with him this time. Lol.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]Charged wrote:
Wait a second? didn’t you two go on for weeks about how a fighter couldn’t take on multiple guys, and then this happens and your having a wank about it? what?[/quote]

No, I’ve said the odds are against you, not that it could never happen. Amir Khan being an A-level pro boxer and being with his brother, also a pro boxer, significantly helped those odds. I never say something could never happen, because it invariably does.

I just thought it was a good story. Even though now that cunty up there commented it’s sure to degrade quickly into a lost thread.[/quote]

I’ve got your back bro. I only drive a '93 Volkswagen Golf though, so let’s not get too beat up over it.

On topic: Mike Tyson got his gold teeth nicked out of my mouth, and he is far more dangerous (still) than Amir Khan. It shows that being a world champ boxer doesnt mean you can somehow smash multiple attackers every time. But as Irish pointed out - 2 top level boxers, vs 6 guys, who got their tactics wrong. They (the Khans) would probably loose that fight 9/10 times. But proper preparation, when it meets ideal circumstances, will return optimum rewards, which is all that happened here.

Assume the 1 guy with the weapon knew how to use it - this story ends very differently.

LMFAO you fucking idiot, how much preparation for that situation did the Khans have? some of the failed logic on these boards is hilarious!

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
On topic: Mike Tyson got his gold teeth nicked out of my mouth, and he is far more dangerous (still) than Amir Khan. It shows that being a world champ boxer doesnt mean you can somehow smash multiple attackers every time. But as Irish pointed out - 2 top level boxers, vs 6 guys, who got their tactics wrong. They (the Khans) would probably loose that fight 9/10 times. But proper preparation, when it meets ideal circumstances, will return optimum rewards, which is all that happened here.

Assume the 1 guy with the weapon knew how to use it - this story ends very differently. [/quote]

Exactly. Like you said, the guys got their tactics wrong, big time, because the last thing you want to do is trade with a pro boxer - especially one of Khan’s caliber, who, although I am infamously disparaging of him because of his chin, is leagues and leagues ahead of the average boxer, much less the average guy.

If you pair two pro boxers together… well, I cannot imagine what these guys were thinking, although I guess they had no idea who he was. And because he’s a welterweight, it’s not like he cuts a particularly imposing figure, so I’m sure that had a part in it.

Just goes to show that you never can tell who you’re going to run across if you start trouble.

And yes, obviously, if there was a weapon brought to bear, things could have gone drastically different, but I’m sure they know that. This seems to be one clear cut case of self-defense, these guys definitely weren’t looking for trouble.

One knife brought in, one gun, one bat, whatever, could have made this much uglier for them, they definitely got lucky here. Those batons are BRUTAL man… you can break arms and legs back the other way with those fuckers.

This sounds almost as sketchy as the Gracie thing. Onlooker said they were laying dudes out but where were the bodies when the cops showed up?

I’m guessing they dropped 2-3 guys who weren’t ready for the kind of assault a cornered high-level boxer brings. If I saw something like that, I’d exaggerate as well.

I’m also guessing they would have gotten real fucked up if they stuck around and didn’t immediately leave the scene.

[quote]Charged wrote:
LMFAO you fucking idiot, how much preparation for that situation did the Khans have? some of the failed logic on these boards is hilarious![/quote]

Or maybe you are a pimply faced cunt desperate to hold onto the fantasy you fight off 6 men at once.

And no I’m not talking about your bukkake gangbang sessions

piss off twat

Assume the 1 guy with the weapon knew how to use it - this story ends very differently. [/quote]

I don’t really understand this view.

What is the problem with a top world class boxer knocking out/ beating up multiple opponents?

NO WAY would the khan’s lose 9/10 times more like they’d win 9/10 times.

Honestly, I genuinely don’t understand your point of view especially if you are an experienced boxer yourself. I personally know about half a dozen guys who have fought multiple guys and won in nightclubs or the street. No I am not making out I am part of a marauding gang of Chuck Norris’s.

It goes without saying that this is exceptionally dangerous and should be avoided at all costs, but it happens and quite often I believe.

Honestly, am not looking to argue like the other guy above, I just don’t get this view at all.

Ricky Hatton was asked once how many guys he could take on in a pub and he said line them up and i’ll knock them out. This from a down to Earth humble guy too. Nigel Benn also has spoken about fighting many guys at once as a teen and knocking them spark out.

Remember we are talking absolutely world class fighters here.

Again, not looking to argue over this, just giving my opinion.

On topic: good for khan, makes me like the arrogant prick 0.1% more.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

What is the problem with a top world class boxer knocking out/ beating up multiple opponents?

Honestly, I genuinely don’t understand your point of view especially if you are an experienced boxer yourself. I personally know about half a dozen guys who have fought multiple guys and won in nightclubs or the street. No I am not making out I am part of a marauding gang of Chuck Norris’s.

It goes without saying that this is exceptionally dangerous and should be avoided at all costs, but it happens and quite often I believe.

Honestly, am not looking to argue like the other guy above, I just don’t get this view at all.

Ricky Hatton was asked once how many guys he could take on in a pub and he said line them up and i’ll knock them out. This from a down to Earth humble guy too. Nigel Benn also has spoken about fighting many guys at once as a teen and knocking them spark out.

On topic: good for khan, makes me like the arrogant prick 0.1% more.[/quote]

This has been argued just so many times its sickening.

The way I see it is this - yes, boxing puts out nasty streetfighters just by its nature, and its part of the reason that I love the sport as I do.

And nobody is saying that one boxer against two guys or two boxers against five are guaranteed to lose - truth is if you run this scenario ten times, you probably come out with ten different end results, and they’re not all clear-cut “Khans win” or “Khans lose.”

One ends up like this, where they knock a few guys out and the rest scatter. Another might end with one of them with a broken hand and a ruined boxing career, but they still scatter their opponents. Another scenario ends up with Amir Khan with a knife in his stomach and he’s still in ICU, while his brother tells the media that they should have just given the guys the car. Another one ends with one bullet in both their heads and an open homicide case where nobody knows what happened.

Are any of these more likely to occur than the others? Not really. But do you want to take the chance? Street violence is Russian roulette, pure and simple.

When I told my father this story, he just said, “That happened in England where they don’t have guns, right?”

His implication was clear - in America, you get carjacked with a gun, not a baton. In America, the odds are way higher that one or both get shot. But nothing is assured.

That’s what makes it all so scary, and both Khans I’m sure realize how lucky they are that the threat wasn’t more serious.

hah, the internet forum. you never fail to get away from the thread topic…or to amuse

[quote]slimjim wrote:
hah, the internet forum. you never fail to get away from the thread topic…or to amuse[/quote]

I did not think it would get away so quickly…

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

On topic: good for khan, makes me like the arrogant prick 0.1% more.[/quote]

As Irish said, boxing does make for an accomplished street fighter, providing you have some street smarts to start with.

Like you quote Ricky Hatton saying, ‘line them up and I’ll knock them out’. I feel the same. Put me 1-1 against anyone in an anything goes environment where I have to fight and I would absolutely back myself to win every single time. Get 10 averagely built guys who know a bit about violence to rush me at once and I’ll go home in a body bag, especially in a crowded place where movement is limited, like a busy pub.

You say you don’t understand my view. You say you know half a dozen guys who have fought off multiple attackers. What kind of social background/area, are you from/was this in? Where I grew up, the kind of people you are likely to find fighting on any given night can all handle themselves, and are no strangers to violence. Many of them in the late teens to mid 20’s category are also carrying weapons. The point is, your view on multiple attackers changes, depending on your environment.

So sure, put me in a pub with a load of bankers, musicians, and others who have only seen violence through their tv screens, and I’ll batter the lot of them. Put me in any given busy pub in my area of London though, with brickies, scaffolders, career criminals, football hooligans, and big mean blokes, and there is a pretty good chance that any group of ‘multiple attackers’ would inflict more damage on me than I would on them. Doesn’t mean that I would lose badly every single time, doesn’t mean I’d lose at all occasionally, but most of the time I would expect to be on the receiving end of the biggest share of the violence.

I would concur. You are limited to your strengths, and an environment that negates that is dangerous.

Case in point. I was in a foreign country wehn three people tried to pickpocket me and I was drunk. Upon escalation, one of them rushed me while throwing a rock at my head. I am mostly a striker, I had to duck, and then the fight went to the ground…while two people kicked and punched me. Thankfully, I had enough training to utilize some basic positioning and get the better of the guy I went to the ground with…but it could have ended up differently. I simply didnt get a chance to use my most dangerous weapons which are my hands and feet, standing. This is common.

I remember a post by Idaho being in a confined hallway with a guy on PCP rushing him (a much more dangerous situation).

I still say to everyone, your best self defense is knowing your surroundings and your environment.

You say you don’t understand my view. You say you know half a dozen guys who have fought off multiple attackers. What kind of social background/area, are you from/was this in? Where I grew up, the kind of people you are likely to find fighting on any given night can all handle themselves, and are no strangers to violence. Many of them in the late teens to mid 20’s category are also carrying weapons. The point is, your view on multiple attackers changes, depending on your environment.
[/quote]

Yes, this is a fair point and i should probably have been clearer. The people I am referencing had experience of dozens of street fights each already so weren’t your normal guy on the street. All of the situations I am mentioning occurred in clubs in either East London or Tottenham, so not at some yuppie wine bar or something.

Obviously I guess my view is skewed, but I was never really saying everyone can do this, just that quite a few definitely can.

But yeah goes without saying it’s to be avoided at all costs.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[/quote]

Yes, this is a fair point and i should probably have been clearer. The people I am referencing had experience of dozens of street fights each already so weren’t your normal guy on the street. All of the situations I am mentioning occurred in clubs in either East London or Tottenham, so not at some yuppie wine bar or something.

Obviously I guess my view is skewed, but I was never really saying everyone can do this, just that quite a few definitely can.

But yeah goes without saying it’s to be avoided at all costs.[/quote]

Ye mate, I grew up in Tower Hamlets, so I’m pretty familiar with the guys you’re talking about. Used to box out of a well known gym round Bethnal Green. I think we’re on the same page here really. Not saying it can’t happen, not saying a decent boxer can’t fuck up a few rough blokes night, but your mates luck will run out if they are in anyway to blame for these fights. I used to go out round there with a few mates from the gym, and if any street tough, or bunch of tough guys had picked trouble with us, they would have had a bad night. Just too many unknowns in our sort of area to confidently say that a decent fighter can regularly win when he’s outnumbered.

As you know, there are a few places round here where the majority of the blokes have been longtime fighters, either in the ring or in the street, and where a gang of them, even where you are younger and fitter/technically better, would definitely be able to overwhelm one good fighter. And that’s without even getting into the kind of little pricks you see up Edmonton way who couldn’t fight their way out of a paper bag, but are all carrying knives.