KFC's coleslaw

What do you guys think of KFC’s coleslaw for veggies?

I’m not a big fan of vegetables and find it hard to get in 5 servings a day. I think KFC’s coleslaw is convenient and tastes great. I was wondering if it is a good source of veggies.

I tried to look it up to find the ingredients but they don’t list what’s in it. My only concern is it’s not leafy greens and mostly cabbage. What do you guys think?

They also use the stem part of broccoli. That’s why it’s that weird pale green colour.

Take a wild guess.

Hopefully this information will help you decide whether or not its healthy enough for you:

Serving Size: 1 order-142g-5oz
Calories: 180 kcal…Fat Cal: 81
Total Fat: 9g
Sat. Fat: 1.5g
Cholesterol: 5mg
Sodium: 280mg
Total Carbs: 21g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Sugars: 20g
Protein: 2g

I found this information on their company webpage. Almost all nutritional facts are out there somewhere on the web. You just gotta look a bit harder. I would suggest if you like cole slaw so much, either make it yourself or go to a grocery store like Publix and buy their brand. Hope that helps.

I think you shouldn’t be going to any place that was once caught for putting wallpaper paste in their chicken batter!

Seriously though, you don’t know what’s in the dressing, and they don’t use dark greens…I say choke down some real veggies, and not something masquaraded as them

8 cups finely chopped cabbage
1/4 cup carrot, shredded
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teas. salt
1/8 teas. pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tbls. white vinegar
2 1/2 tbls. lemon juice

This is the ingredients that were posted on several webpages. Not sure if they are credible or not, but take everything you read with an open mind. Hope this helps!

I’m all for eating veggies, but I wonder where you came up “5 servings a day.”

Crap.

What is cole slaw made out of? Does it have any fats?

You guys have any good recipes? Thanx!

A7, the reason I was wondering what diet you were following is because “5 servings a day” sounds like a recomendation from a food pryamid. Hopefully I’m wrong and you are following a sensible diet. If you are looking at a food pyramid, then we need to talk!

Thanks for the input all.

Polar Princess, I don’t think there is any broccoli in there. The pale green stuff is prolly just the cabbage.

JuniorNT, thanks for taking the time to get the info! I found the nutritional breakdown on their website too but it doesn’t list the ingredients. I don’t know if you can trust the third party ingredients. I think is a secret kinda like their 11 herbs and spices. I could swear I taste some jalapeno in there somewhere.

JeffRage, LOL. No, I have been reading T-mag long enough not to follow the food pyramid. I’m just trying to eat more veggies for the fiber and a good source of carbs. What’s wrong with 5 servings?

Assuming it’s 90% cabbage. Is cabbage a good source of veggies?

P.S. I usually drian the coleslaw to get rid of the dressing (it’s very easy because it’s so watery) to get rid of the mayo and sugar before I eat it and it still tastes great.

My aunt adds raisins and walnuts, tasty too.

A7, there’s nothing wrong with 5 servings! But if you were following a food pryamid, you would also be trying to eat excessive servings of grains nd not enough servings of proteins and fats.

Guess I didn’t recognize your name, otherwize I would have known you were a vet here!

My mom has a kick-ass coleslaw recipe… I’ll give her a call and post it for you Diesel.

I like your idea of draining the slaw. That way you get some of the bad stuff out but, still have most of the flavor and the healthy, cruciferous cabbage. My mom , who tries to maintain a very low fat diet, actually rinses it. I guess much of the flavor is lost that way but, you do what you gotta do. Salw made with just oil and vinegar (no mayo) is good too.

The following is from foodreference.com.

COLE SLAW, COLD SLAW
The reason cole slaw became as popular a side dish as it did in America was due to NYC deli owner Richard Hellmann’s 1903 creation of a formula for bottled mayonnaise, which he began marketing in 1912. It became a bestseller, quick and easy to use as a dressing for shredded cabbage, which thereafter became a standard side dish to the increasingly popular sandwiches and hamburgers in American kitchens.
‘American Classics: Cole Slaw’, by John Mariani,
Restaurant Hospitality Magazine 1/97
Cole slaw (cold slaw) got it’s name from the Dutch ‘kool sla’ - ‘kool’ is cabbage and ‘sla’ is salad - meaning simply, cabbage salad. In English, that became ‘cole slaw’ and eventually ‘cold slaw’. The original Dutch ‘kool sla’ was most likely served hot.

I notice that in Canada (B.C.) the KFC coleslaw is super broccoli green!?! But here in the U.S. the KFC coleslaw is more of a lighter color. But since it is basically a high GI/II C+F meal, it’s only for cheat day.

anybody else thinking what im thinking? its fucking cole slaw. the nastiest shit ever. on a side note, its funny how some people i know will eat cole slaw, asparagus, okra, salads of all kinds, crawfish, sushi and a bunch of other nasty ass foods but act like they are going to puke when they try a good protein shake. its beyond my realm of understanding.

I’m still thinking that if you’re looking to the Colonel for meal ideas, you’ve got more things to sort out with your diet than we can possibly help you with. 11 herbs and spices? How about salt and pepper.

Goldberg, do you know my wife? I think you do. She hates protein shakes and the like but is always trying to get me to eat the nasty shit you mentioned. But never cole slaw, thank God.