KFC and Soy

On the news this morning they said that KFC, in an effort to stop using trans fats, is switching to soy oil to fry all their chicken. How thoughtful.

Did anyone read the soy conspiracy article? If this is true, I’m even more disgusted with the fast food industry than before.

I’ll stick to my eggs, whole grain bread, and grass fed beef, thank you very much!

I hadn’t heard that but it doesn’t surprise me.

Not that I really care because I don’t eat fast food anyway. So they can do whatever they want and dupe as many people as they can.

The fact that people continue to eat fast food amazes me. And people wonder why we have so many obese individuals and a myriad of health issues?

Keep eating the good stuff sic!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
The fact that people continue to eat fast food amazes me.[/quote]

Burgers give me lots of calories, so I eat them.

i don’t eat fast food that often, but when i do, i’ll be glad to know that i’m getting an occasional dose of soy oil rather than trans fats.

[quote]sic wrote:
On the news this morning they said that KFC, in an effort to stop using trans fats, is switching to soy oil to fry all their chicken. How thoughtful.

Did anyone read the soy conspiracy article? If this is true, I’m even more disgusted with the fast food industry than before.

I’ll stick to my eggs, whole grain bread, and grass fed beef, thank you very much![/quote]

I’m actually reading Kayla Daniels’ book and she writes about the fast food industry using meat extenders (in hamburgers, chicken nuggets, …) which is… soy

My grilled chicken breast contains, well, chicken.

McDonald’s grilled chicken contains:

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:

Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.

CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT. Prepared with liquid margarine: Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservative), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN

Or how about McNuggets… those sound tasty, right?

Chicken McNuggets?:
White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, chicken flavor (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid, rosemary), sodium phosphates, seasoning (canola oil, mono- and diglycerides, natural extractives of rosemary). Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, whey, corn starch. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated corn oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent).

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK

What the hell is “extractives of paprika”?

[quote]sic wrote:

McDonald’s grilled chicken contains:

Grilled Chicken Breast Filet:

Chicken breast filets with rib meat, water, seasoning (salt, sugar, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, spices, dextrose, autolyzed yeast extract, hydrolyzed [corn gluten, soy, wheat gluten] proteins, garlic powder, paprika, chicken fat, chicken broth, natural flavors (plant and animal source), caramel color, polysorbate 80, xanthan gum, onion powder, extractives of paprika), modified potato starch, and sodium phosphates.

CONTAINS: SOY AND WHEAT. Prepared with liquid margarine: Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservative), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: SOY LECITHIN

Or how about McNuggets… those sound tasty, right?

Chicken McNuggets?:
White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, chicken flavor (autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid, rosemary), sodium phosphates, seasoning (canola oil, mono- and diglycerides, natural extractives of rosemary). Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, whey, corn starch. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated corn oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent).

CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK [/quote]

So what do they put in the burgers?

the government wants castrated sheep

[quote]Welsh Warrior wrote:
So what do they put in the burgers?[/quote]

Supposedly those are 100% beef without fillers or extenders.

Scrambled Eggs, however, contain all this mess:

Pasteurized whole eggs with sodium acid pyrophosphate, citric acid and monosodium phosphate (all added to preserve color), nisin (preservative). Prepared with liquid margarine: Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oils, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono- and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservative), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color). CONTAINS: EGG AND SOY LECITHIN

I may need to refresh my memory, but I was under the assumption that soy PROTEIN was the enemy and that soy oil did not contain the two bastard isoflavones that make your dick fall off and make you grow man boobs? Or am I stupid?

This makes me glad that I don’t remember the last time I had fast food.

[quote]sic wrote:
[/quote]

Are you sure about that? What brand do you buy? Any water injected to increase volume? Any preservatives used? How about cleanliness of the processing plant?

Obviously not as bad as the McDonalds, just a heads up to check up on the grocery store too.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
I may need to refresh my memory, but I was under the assumption that soy PROTEIN was the enemy and that soy oil did not contain the two bastard isoflavones that make your dick fall off and make you grow man boobs? Or am I stupid?[/quote]

When one is talking about isolated soy oil, fewer grievances apply than with the soybean as a whole. The poor PDCAAS of the protein as well as the isoflavones are not an issue, because the oil is simply the fat from the unrefined beans. However – this is a poor source of fat (check out the fat roundtable for further reading, containing a hilarious “cameo” by Subway’s Jared.) I believe there is an issue regarding the monounsaturated fat content, and it certainly upsets the Omega 3/6/9 ratios (too many Omega 6’s – Omega 3 deficiency is a problem with 99.999…% of the WORLD.)