T Nation

Keysi Fighting Method

Lads
Goin startin KFM in two weeks time. Have no experience in it. Any got any experience and thoughts on this fighting method?

Here’s a thread about it that had potential…but went to shit. PM Mick28…he can answer ANYTHING you want to know.

Thoughts… They’re coming from a good place. Not for me, but if it fits your goals then more power to you. As long as you’re enjoying yourself and you can apply the shit who am i to knock it.

Imo if they actively spar in a realistic manner, or you get time to do that with someone, and you can pull off this stuff that they’re teaching then its all good.

It actually seems a bit like some of Rodney King’s (the boxer not the black guy) “Crazy Monkey” stuff. Which is pretty legit. Rampage Jackson uses it.

Again wouldn’t be my primary choice but I don’t have anything explicitly negative to say about it.

Crazy Monkey Defense:
http://www.fightgood.com/responder/images/q001.gif
http://www.fightgood.com/responder/images/q002.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njPgVLPTWZk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrewiYRi48o

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Here’s a thread about it that had potential…but went to shit. PM Mick28…he can answer ANYTHING you want to know.

[/quote]

Wow, i actually nearly did there. Lucky i read the thread first.
Anywho do you have any experience with KFM. My college offers lots of different martial arts. I was looking for the most raw type of ma to pick up. That’s why i choose it. Don’t have a huge amount of experience with martial arts. So just lookin for ppl’s opinions.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Thoughts… They’re coming from a good place. Not for me, but if it fits your goals then more power to you. As long as you’re enjoying yourself and you can apply the shit who am i to knock it.

Imo if they actively spar in a realistic manner, or you get time to do that with someone, and you can pull off this stuff that they’re teaching then its all good.

It actually seems a bit like some of Rodney King’s (the boxer not the black guy) “Crazy Monkey” stuff. Which is pretty legit. Rampage Jackson uses it.

Again wouldn’t be my primary choice but I don’t have anything explicitly negative to say about it.

Crazy Monkey Defense:
http://www.fightgood.com/responder/images/q001.gif
http://www.fightgood.com/responder/images/q002.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njPgVLPTWZk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrewiYRi48o

[/quote]

Ok cheers for the post. Another good video of this fighting style can be found at:
http://www.keysikfm.com/pages/index.php
Just out of interest, what is your preference with ma’s?

Thaiboxing, Dog Brothers MA, Boxing, Greco & Freestyle Wrestling, 10th planet Jiujitsu, Catch wrestling, Shooto… etc.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Thaiboxing, Dog Brothers MA, Boxing, Greco & Freestyle Wrestling, 10th planet Jiujitsu, Catch wrestling, Shooto… etc.

[/quote]

Sweet jesus, you know you’re stuff so. Any other thoughts on the FM would be appreciated

Hi guys, started Keysi a bit earlier than anticipated. Had first class yesterday. I loved it.
As stated earlier I don’t have much experience in martial arts(about 2 hours of tae-kwon-do; it wasn’t for me-lol), but so far this fighting style seems to great and definitely one of the most useable in terms of self-defense and whatnot especially in a busy place like in the middle of a club-where delivering a roundhouse might be a bit of hassle!)
Anywho, any word from anybody on the forum who have tried it, or are currently training in the style, or who simply don’t like this style for any reason I’d love to hear from ya.

try wing chun its pretty brutal not for the light at heart

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Lads
Goin startin KFM in two weeks time. Have no experience in it. Any got any experience and thoughts on this fighting method?[/quote]

Work on your weighted dips and you’ll be fine :stuck_out_tongue:

I look forward to kicking your ass on the day of the exam :slight_smile:

[quote]rock27 wrote:
Lads
Goin startin KFM in two weeks time. Have no experience in it. Any got any experience and thoughts on this fighting method?[/quote]

Personally, I’m not usually one to talk shit about an art/method until I’ve actually seen it or done it first hand, but from what I’ve read, what I’ve heard and the general idea of it:

It sounds like bullshido.

It might look great in films like Batman Begins/Dark Knight etc, but it’s choreographed there.

If you wanna get the low down on whether the latest is legit or not, Bullshido.com forums is a great place to go once you wade through the crap. There’s alot of dickheads on there, but those that aren’t know their shit. Infact I think there already was a discussion on Keysi…

If your thinking about bar fights why not straight up boxing.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Lads
Goin startin KFM in two weeks time. Have no experience in it. Any got any experience and thoughts on this fighting method?

Personally, I’m not usually one to talk shit about an art/method until I’ve actually seen it or done it first hand, but from what I’ve read, what I’ve heard and the general idea of it:

It sounds like bullshido.

It might look great in films like Batman Begins/Dark Knight etc, but it’s choreographed there.

If you wanna get the low down on whether the latest is legit or not, Bullshido.com forums is a great place to go once you wade through the crap. There’s alot of dickheads on there, but those that aren’t know their shit. Infact I think there already was a discussion on Keysi…[/quote]

Fuck yeah!..Bullshido will tell you straight bro! They dont take anyones shit and they will do real in depth research into the MA. I have been fighting for going on 14years, I have never heard of what you are taking but I am by no means a specialist in existant MA’s…just cause I havent heard about it or fought anyone claiming it doesnt mean its bad…As long as your having fun (and thats what your primary goal is) Stick with it and enjoy yourself.

[quote]thaiclinch wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:
rock27 wrote:
Lads
Goin startin KFM in two weeks time. Have no experience in it. Any got any experience and thoughts on this fighting method?

Personally, I’m not usually one to talk shit about an art/method until I’ve actually seen it or done it first hand, but from what I’ve read, what I’ve heard and the general idea of it:

It sounds like bullshido.

It might look great in films like Batman Begins/Dark Knight etc, but it’s choreographed there.

If you wanna get the low down on whether the latest is legit or not, Bullshido.com forums is a great place to go once you wade through the crap. There’s alot of dickheads on there, but those that aren’t know their shit. Infact I think there already was a discussion on Keysi…

Fuck yeah!..Bullshido will tell you straight bro! They dont take anyones shit and they will do real in depth research into the MA. I have been fighting for going on 14years, I have never heard of what you are taking but I am by no means a specialist in existant MA’s…just cause I havent heard about it or fought anyone claiming it doesnt mean its bad…As long as your having fun (and thats what your primary goal is) Stick with it and enjoy yourself.
[/quote]

Ya, it is a relatively new art. It is not really designed for sport.
I am no way highly experienced in martial arts but i’ve been doing this now for about 4 months and I fucking love it. I am due to take my first grading in 4 weeks.
I am having fun, and my initial goal was to do it for a good cardio session apart from running on a treadmill. But now it has changed and I like taking part in KFM for what it is.

KFM is currently being looked at for possible adaption in mma(called s2c8), more specifically in the area of ground attack.
For anyone interested check out the following and let us know what ye think.

OK, things I like are the crazy monkey and the use of elbows in close.

Things I don’t like are the total reliance on crazy monkey. It is a good system but against a powerful striker who is really blasting at you it will get you knocked out (watch Tito vs Chuck for a great example of this, the punches against your shell build up and you are not in a good position to counter.)

The Ground and Pound techniques would work great against someone who can’t grapple, but on several of them he is totally crossing the centre line and he has no posture, this will get you swept or choked very quickly by a decent grappler.

The other thing that got to me was the fact that they claim you can learn it just by watching videos, there is no footage of actual sparring in any of the videos I could find and the quote ‘it is not a sport, it was not designed in a dojo, it was developed on the streets.’ This imediately gets my bullshit detector ringing.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
OK, things I like are the crazy monkey and the use of elbows in close.

Things I don’t like are the total reliance on crazy monkey. It is a good system but against a powerful striker who is really blasting at you it will get you knocked out (watch Tito vs Chuck for a great example of this, the punches against your shell build up and you are not in a good position to counter.)

The other thing that got to me was the fact that they claim you can learn it just by watching videos, there is no footage of actual sparring in any of the videos I could find and the quote ‘it is not a sport, it was not designed in a dojo, it was developed on the streets.’ This imediately gets my bullshit detector ringing.[/quote]

Agreed 100%. Even better example on your first para would be Forrest Griffin vs Tito. Energy is still going to transfer.

And uber agreed on last para. I HATE, when people use that bullshit excuse “oh, our style isn’t designed for sport fighting, and we don’t spar because it’s too dangerous”. Like you my Bullshit detector sparks. It’s especially prevalent in forms of Kung Fu. For people’s information: If something works in a professional fighting event, it damn sure will work on the street, infact I’d be willing to chance that all those “street style” guys get their asses handed to them by anyone who has decent experience in a full contact ring event, being in a ring doesn’t change the fact it’s still a fight.

Also related are people who think they could take a professional fighter because they don’t use “street” techniques like headbutts or eye gouges… What you really think that a part of a pro fighters brain is so shut off they wouldn’t think of that but you would? Gah… some people…

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Cockney Blue wrote:
…[/quote]

In direct reference to the last two posts:

Firstly KFM isn’t a blank ticket to being able to kick the shit out of anyone, regardless of their style. A point that was made to me recently is that I’m not the fighting type, doing Keysi gives me no real striking advantage against someone who fights regularly (whether in the street or not). I will say that it gives me a different perspective than I used to have. Every time I’m knocked down I get up as fast as possible and try to protect myself as much as I can.

My favourite part of Keysi is the recovery and blocking, at the end of the day if three people want to kick the shit out of me then they probably will but I know that I will definitely be able to mitigate some of the damage they inflict because of what I’ve learned in Keysi.

I don’t want to learn a style that teaches me to be an all offensive weapon because in reality that’s great against three arm flailing retards but as soon as one or more competent fighters approach you then your advantage is diminished quite substantially.

I’ve been doing it for four months with Rock27 and I have to point out that learning from the videos isn’t really that feasible in my opinion.

                        The sparring we do is very intense and it's definitely based on making you feel like your under pressure and a bit panicked. The video's for the White belt are all tame and calm but when your sparring that your getting blows from two directions and your basically just trying to protect yourself while executing the moves.

      I've no interest in learning from the videos and I'm not interested in anyone who does want to learn from the videos. From my experience of actually doing the course for the few months I have been doing it I have to say that it scares me to think of the things that are in the next belt, never mind the belts beyond that. 

                                   I am not the biggest fan of the way KFM is presented through the videos, but I can testify that in practice and reality it really is excellent and effective and I think that anyone who learns from an instructor rather than the videos will agree with me. Our instructor is very good too though, I feel.

                                               No comment on the S2C8, I'm not an MMA fan and S2C8 doesn't interest me really.

Don’t be discouraged by my ramblings mate, as I said before in a previous post, I’m usually not one to knock an art unless I’ve experienced it. I just decided to vent my frustrations about the “my art is too dangerous” types. If you feel Keysi works for you, by all means, stick with it, my comment wasn’t really directed at Keysi.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
Don’t be discouraged by my ramblings mate, as I said before in a previous post, I’m usually not one to knock an art unless I’ve experienced it. I just decided to vent my frustrations about the “my art is too dangerous” types. If you feel Keysi works for you, by all means, stick with it, my comment wasn’t really directed at Keysi. [/quote]

Well I empathise with you so. The last thing I want to see is people saying “every art is now defunct because Keysi will beat anything”.

[quote]104494431 wrote:
Aussie Davo wrote:
Cockney Blue wrote:

In direct reference to the last two posts:

Firstly KFM isn’t a blank ticket to being able to kick the shit out of anyone, regardless of their style. A point that was made to me recently is that I’m not the fighting type, doing Keysi gives me no real striking advantage against someone who fights regularly (whether in the street or not). I will say that it gives me a different perspective than I used to have. Every time I’m knocked down I get up as fast as possible and try to protect myself as much as I can.

My favourite part of Keysi is the recovery and blocking, at the end of the day if three people want to kick the shit out of me then they probably will but I know that I will definitely be able to mitigate some of the damage they inflict because of what I’ve learned in Keysi. I don’t want to learn a style that teaches me to be an all offensive weapon because in reality that’s great against three arm flailing retards but as soon as one or more competent fighters approach you then your advantage is diminished quite substantially.

I’ve been doing it for four months with Rock27 and I have to point out that learning from the videos isn’t really that feasible in my opinion.

                        The sparring we do is very intense and it's definitely based on making you feel like your under pressure and a bit panicked. The video's for the White belt are all tame and calm but when your sparring that your getting blows from two directions and your basically just trying to protect yourself while executing the moves.

      I've no interest in learning from the videos and I'm not interested in anyone who does want to learn from the videos. From my experience of actually doing the course for the few months I have been doing it I have to say that it scares me to think of the things that are in the next belt, never mind the belts beyond that. 

                                   I am not the biggest fan of the way KFM is presented through the videos, but I can testify that in practice and reality it really is excellent and effective and I think that anyone who learns from an instructor rather than the videos will agree with me. Our instructor is very good too though, I feel.

                                               No comment on the S2C8, I'm not an MMA fan and S2C8 doesn't interest me really.

[/quote]

Sounds like you are training at a decent place then. Not intending to offend anyone who trains any martial art just didn’t like the presentation of the videos.

Then again, Gracies in Action isn’t exactly how I would want to see BJJ promoted today and I train with some of the people who are in the video :wink: